***Official 2014 80/35 Music Festival Thread***

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Man, apparently I'm the only Connor Oberst/Bright Eyes fan here. Probably not enough to cause me to actually pay to go, but Bright Eyes is alright with me.

I can't really explain it, but something about him rubs me wrong. Probably the way he was built up as the new Dylan at one point in time, and I just require a certain level of filth or grit from the music I like, and I just didn't feel like he had much of either.

I realize that's ridiculously subjective and personally specific.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
For those of you mentioning Outkast, they essentially came out of "retirement" to do Coachella right? I'm not real dialed into the music scene, but I'm pretty sure Coachella is a much, much bigger event than 80/35. I think it's a pipe dream that Outkast would come to 80/35.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
For those of you mentioning Outkast, they essentially came out of "retirement" to do Coachella right? I'm not real dialed into the music scene, but I'm pretty sure Coachella is a much, much bigger event than 80/35. I think it's a pipe dream that Outkast would come to 80/35.
Though I agree it is a pipe dream, I disagree, that they came out of retirement for Coachella.... They have 40+ show tour planned for the summer. Seems a little bigger then Coachella....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't think this is that bad, Ziggy, Best Coast, Dr. Dog and Dawes are pretty great, I think the Omaha appeal is what came for Conor Oberst, Bright Eyes is allright, but [FONT=aller_lightregular]Desaparecidos is amazing, solo stuff is not headliner worthy, imo..... I think what is the main stage is pretty solid so far, I just hope the addition help out a lot.... [/FONT]

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I guess I'll withhold judgment for now as I've only heard of five of these acts. As headliners go I guess it's an ok get, although I'm not a fan of big names coming to town and bringing their side projects (hello, Ben Harper and the Relentless Seven!) I haven't listend to anything Bright Eyes related since I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning. Based on the clues, anyone got any ideas who the other headline act is?

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
The biggest problem with 80/35 continues to be the date. Every year it's on or right around 4th of July weekend when there are literally hundreds of other things to do. They need to move it up a weekend.

I want to support the event, but the lineups have been severely lacking. I understand it's put on by volunteers and they don't have a big budget to draw in top acts, but give me something a little more mainstream mixed in with all of the bands I've never heard of.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Next announcement is coming next May 13th. Have heard a rumbling of Vampire Weekend, would be cool, imo.... Hold Steady as an addition to Friday would be awesome....

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't hate bright eyes, just wouldn't drive for them. Also Ziggy marley is pretty good.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I can't really explain it, but something about him rubs me wrong. Probably the way he was built up as the new Dylan at one point in time, and I just require a certain level of filth or grit from the music I like, and I just didn't feel like he had much of either.

I realize that's ridiculously subjective and personally specific.

Lots of guys have been tagged with the New Dylan label - Springsteen, Donovan, Loudon Wainwright et.al. - what bothers me about Oberst is that he strikes me as exceedingly whiny. I get what you mean about the "grit". Maybe it's because he's so young, but it doesn't feel like there's much weight behind his lyrics. Like you said, that's totally subjective but that's the nature of music.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Would be better if it wasn't at the same time as summerfest which blows 80/35 out of the water

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Any inside info or random guesses for Saturday headliner? I'm going with either Muse or Beck. No inside info just thought they would be good gets and neither has a conflicting tour date. Muse puts on a hell of a show and definitely would not disappoint.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Just spitfiring here, but Jamiroquai has an album called "A Funk Odyssey" was thinking since the poster this year is taking about a music odyssey, thought i'd throw it out there. Daft Punk is also very sci-fi could see them too.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The entire 80/35 budget could not handle Muse.

Crossed my mind that they might be pretty pricey but I really have no clue what bands are within the 80/35 budget. Anyone have a more realistic prediction? Also will we hear the announcement this week or not? I sure as hell hope so!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Crossed my mind that they might be pretty pricey but I really have no clue what bands are within the 80/35 budget. Anyone have a more realistic prediction? Also will we hear the announcement this week or not? I sure as hell hope so!

On May 9th their twitter feed stated that an announcement would likely be coming within a week; they were just waiting for clearance. So, any day now.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
On May 9th their twitter feed stated that an announcement would likely be coming within a week; they were just waiting for clearance. So, any day now.

Two weeks later, and still nothing. Anyone remember how long it took them to announce the full lineup last year? Seems odd that six weeks out from the show they still haven't put out the Saturday headliner.

Help Support Us

Become a patron