***Official 2014 80/35 Music Festival Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This just looks bad!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they were aiming too high and coming back down to earth, and we end up with a good option, but I have my doubts....

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
They claim to be announcing tomorrow. A lot of people are thinking Cake will be the Other headliner.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am just as excited to hear the other 27 bands get announced. I am still holding out for Jake Bugg, The Orwells, Hold Steady, and/or Matt and Kim.....

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They have been offering HUGE discounts lately, $16 for a single day, $30 for two day. I am guessing to ease the pain of the dud dropping later today.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They have been offering HUGE discounts lately, $16 for a single day, $30 for two day. I am guessing to ease the pain of the dud dropping later today.

That is dirt cheap. I'll drop $16 to go see Cake. If there's anything else decent on Saturday that's just a bonus.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't think it is that cheap, I think it is $29, but today is the last day, only $49 for 2 day, unless there are other promos, plus if you go to midwestix or zzz records there is no service fees. Here is line up announcement that I found to be good.....
CAKE, Surfer Blood, Those Darlins, The Whigs, King Fantastic, Boy & Bear, and Pert Near Sandstone.
from past announcement Conor Oberst, Ziggy Marley, Dr. Dog, Best Coast, Envy Corps, and Raz Simone.

They said yesterday next Tuesday they will announce a few more acts and the set times.... Over all a solid year but not over the top... Am very excited for CAKE, Ziggy, Best Coast, Surfer Blood and the Whigs....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Am I the only one who has no interest in seeing any of these bands? Or maybe others just don't open this thread.

The price is low enough that it might be worthwhile just for the festival atmosphere, but do people really listen to all these bands?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Am I the only one who has no interest in seeing any of these bands? Or maybe others just don't open this thread.

The price is low enough that it might be worthwhile just for the festival atmosphere, but do people really listen to all these bands?

Part of the DMMC's goal is to bring in artists that haven't made their mark nationally. It gives the festival kind of indie, "I saw them before they made it" vibe.

For people who want to see a festival that's end to end established artists, they need to check out Summer Fest or Lollapalooza. 80/35 isn't that kind of event and probably never will be.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

I listen to a few of these regularly, I usually use this festival as a discover new bands situation, I listen to alt-nation a decent amount(The Whigs, Surfer Blood, Best Coast), but do my own research into a lot of others as well. I think for the general growth of this festival I was hoping for more main stream acts, but in general who ever they announce is always a good time...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As with every 80/35, there is one band I'd like to see, and two dozen bands I've never heard of.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Part of the DMMC's goal is to bring in artists that haven't made their mark nationally. It gives the festival kind of indie, "I saw them before they made it" vibe.

For people who want to see a festival that's end to end established artists, they need to check out Summer Fest or Lollapalooza. 80/35 isn't that kind of event and probably never will be.

Just seems like the festival has gone backwards every year though. There have been some good headliners in the past but Oberst and Cake are nowhere near "headliner" quality. Both of them would open for someone like Grace Potter who was mid day a few years ago.

Also, aren't these unestablished acts exactly why the free stages are there?

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

That makes sense. Hope folks have a great time. And someday, we will have a thread about remembering bands back when they were doing 80/35 festivals.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just seems like the festival has gone backwards every year though. There have been some good headliners in the past but Oberst and Cake are nowhere near "headliner" quality. Both of them would open for someone like Grace Potter who was mid day a few years ago.

Also, aren't these unestablished acts exactly why the free stages are there?
Completely disagree, Grace Potter has some good skills but imo her last release fell way short for me.... To me this festival tried this year to go big, upon so many requests, but because of that this was where we ended up..... I believe both headliners will be pretty great but not the best 80-35 headliners, the solidness of the undercard's are what make this year good, Ziggy, Best Coast, Dr. Dog, Surfer Blood, Them Darlins, and The Whigs makes this a lot better than past years plus with the 2 full days this year.... I also look forward to 2 rap acts, King Fantastic and Raz Simone(only on Soundcloud) which I would not have discovered if not for this festival....
Here is my spotify playlist if anyone is interested. https://play.spotify.com/user/joshburke2/playlist/52UQw5wW0kJgghuBthM47D

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
aahh the annual 80-35 ******* match.... i go every year just cuz and i have fun every year, i guess its all what you make it.

I cherry pick the rest of the year for concerts, for example, august has foster the people in counciltucky and fitz and the tantrums on the river... plus i make weekend runs to twin cities and K.C. for shows

i think people need to drink more and just enjoy that downtown dsm has a music festival

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
aahh the annual 80-35 ******* match.... i go every year just cuz and i have fun every year, i guess its all what you make it.

I cherry pick the rest of the year for concerts, for example, august has foster the people in counciltucky and fitz and the tantrums on the river... plus i make weekend runs to twin cities and K.C. for shows

i think people need to drink more and just enjoy that downtown dsm has a music festival

In honor of the Saturday headliner:

[video=youtube;x1vOVki-a1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1vOVki-a1s&feature=kp[/video]

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Same here. I listen to music throughout the day, but seeing all these bands I have never heard makes this 31 year old feel well old

I'm 22 and haven't heard of most of them. Don't feel old.