*** Official #17 IOWA STATE vs #6 Oklahoma State Game(Day) Thread ***

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Who the **** knows?

I think we are making progress. I don't understand everything that the coaches do and sometimes Tom Manning drives me bat **** crazy. But there's no one else I'd rather have leading things, so you take the bad with the good.

I've called for firings of CMC/staff where exactly? Dude (I THINK you're a guy) if you're not disappointed with that game and the first game with what was perhaps the best team in our history than you're content with warm vanilla pudding.

We saw the exact opposite of winning in the margins and I'm not even talking about the missed FGs. I'm not smart enough to critique Manning or CMC but we've yet to realistically take the next step from a 7 win program.

Texas/OU may not lose again this year. OSU has a tough road but we had the opportunity to take that definitive next step and we screwed the pooch.

We have a great program now with character and some development but we've yet again crumpled under the pressure of the spot light and expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
This loss is all part of the master plan. Have OSU run the table and think they're going to the CFP only to have us rip their hearts out again in the CCG. A repeat of the historic Ames win.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've called for firings of CMC/staff where exactly? Dude (I THINK you're a guy) if you're not disappointed with that game and the first game with what was perhaps the best team in our history than you're content with warm vanilla pudding.

We saw the exact opposite of winning in the margins and I'm not even talking about the missed FGs. I'm not smart enough to critique Manning or CMC but we've yet to realistically take the next step from a 7 win program.

Texas/OU may not lose again this year. OSU has a tough road but we had the opportunity to take that definitive next step and we screwed the pooch.

We have a great program now with character and some development but we've yet again crumpled under the pressure of the spot light and expectations.

Who said I wasn't disappointed. You are acting like we are destined to never be any good.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Here's the deal folks.... ISU and OSU's defense are fairly equal IMO. Both pretty salty.

But on offense.....

QB- advantage OSU (close to a big advantage)
RB- draw
TE- advantage ISU
WR- big advantage OSU
OL- big advantage OSU

Special Teams- advantage OSU

OC- big advantage OSU

I'm not sure if we want to face this team again in the title game.... but just getting there would be awesome!!!
The thing is, in spite of all that, we still could have won this game. It really is terribly frustrating.

I have been a Cyclone Fan since the late 1970's. I should be used to this.

But God Damn...

• Agree

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This loss is all part of the master plan. Have OSU run the table and think they're going to the CFP only to have us rip their hearts out again in the CCG. A repeat of the historic Ames win.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It's not about establishing himself inbounds. It's about immediately returning to the field of play. From the rule book:

This does not apply to an originally eligible offensive player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent

....."immediately" seems to be the point of contention. Like die said, he ran about 10-15 yards out of bounds before returning.

edit: just read die's post about the rules and being forced out. That explains it........I guess.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
OKie S May have dominated the line, but we proved we can run ... if it’s not so damn predictable!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
....."immediately" seems to be the point of contention. Like die said, he ran about 10-15 yards out of bounds before returning.

edit: just read die's post about the rules and being forced out. That explains it........I guess.

I still don't think a player who is knocked out of bounds on a route can continue out of bounds and be eligible on the play without immediately coming back in after the offending contact.

I think the player didn't really realize he was out of bounds at first, and the refs missed it. But it should not have been a catch.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Lost by 3 to #6 team on the road while getting manhandled on the O line, two missed FGs, and a one dimension offense.

We were awful across the board and came within a few missed FGs of winning.

Relax.

I get what you’re putting down in the grand historical scheme of Cyclone football, but this is the 2020 season and today’s failures are no reason to relax.

They had the driver’s seat to the Big 12 championship and they showed up flat after a bye (yet again), grossly out-schemed and completely lacking focus in those oft-discussed precious lil’ margins (yet again).

Oh well, we’re relinquished to remaining the underdog, and we can pray we get a rematch in December.

• Agree

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This doesn’t derail our chance to get into the conference champ game, but it would have been nice to be in the driver seat.

This game is a disappointing outing by the offense, but I won’t write off the season until I see how the team rebounds after KU.

Really, the only teams in our way are KSU and Texas. With KSU losing Thompson, I feel better about our chances. Otherwise, Texas is the only hurdle we face. Assuming we get the same performance from the team we saw in OU and TTU.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Do you think ISU has the football talent and depth across the board to win every game they play?

I think for the past two and a half years, on the defense side, the answer is "yes".

Also over that time frame, the offense just can't do what needs to be done against teams that have good defenses for ISU to move to the top tier of the conference. Couple that with terribly inconsistent special teams, and you have a nice team that just can't break out of the second tier of the conference.

33 yd FGs have to be automatic. As others have posted, that missed FG resulted in a huge momentum swing. Yes TDs are better, but there is no shame in scoring a FG against a good defense.

We shall see how the rest of this year progresses. ISU will face a couple of good defenses ahead, and Manning will get the opportunity to show whether he can take ISU's offense to the level necessary for ISU to be a legitimate contender for conference champion.