Off topic: let's talk concerts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
One of the things that I like about CF is how open the topics tend to be unlike other sites. We can talk just about anything.

I just got done watching some concert footage and it had me wondering. I've seen probably 30+ concerts, most at hilton as well as some at vets. My question is, of the concerts you've been to, who was your favorite AND if you could see one more, who would it be?

I have a three-way tie as far as those I've seen - KISS in vets, Alice Cooper in Vets and Joan Jett around a year and a half ago here in NW Arkansas for Bikes, Blues, and BBQ (geez, talk about showing age). As for one last concert before I die....I gotta see Shakira! Love her voice, hot as hell, and definitely knows how to shake it! I'd drop some big cash for a front row seat - hey, you only live once!

Did I mention earlier that we need a horny smiley guy???:yes4lo:

thakeepa14

Jan 10, 2007
St. Paul, MN
I tend to like smaller concerts better (like in People's or outside on central campus or VEISHEA in general :) but of the big concerts I've got several to offer:

1) Dave Matthews Band. back in their prime when Dave had a voice. Oustanding live, that's all I've got to say....and we had a couple lesbians making out the whole concert next to us.

2) Incubus. Although I'm a much bigger fan of the early stuff vs this garbage lately, they were definitely "stellar" (pardon the lame pun).

3) Weezer. If you could get over the large contingency of pre-teens that got dropped off by their parents, this was a pretty awesome show as well...

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pink Floyd, June 1994 @ Jack Trice
U2, Sept 1992(?) @ Jack Trice
I also recall seeing Pearl Jam along with Red Hot Chili Peppers at CY Stevens, but I don't remember the year. 91 or 92?

As you can tell, I stopped going to concerts over a decade ago.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I've been fortunate to have seen some great concerts. Here are some of my highlights.

Stadium concerts: U2, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Van Halen, AC/DC, ZZ Top

Club shows: 311, The Urge, Grasshopper Takeover, Collective Soul

If I can only pick one concert to see this year, it'd probably be the Chili Peppers.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
My concert history is brief, but probably my favorite concert would have to have been Ok Go when they played at the M-Shop -- back before they were really well known. The crowd wasn't too into it, but it was still a blast hearing them play, and you could really tell they loved what they did.

Fall Out Boy played in Des Moines last year, but by far the best part of that concert was Motion City Soundtrack. Holy crap can they ever put on a show. Next time they're in Iowa, I'm there. The Killers are playing at the same venue this year in May, so hopefully I can make it to that.

I saw Weird Al in Iowa City. That was interesting.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
KISS (Farewell Tour 1 with Ted Nugent and Skid Row) - 5 Seasons Center (Cedar Rapids) Aug/Sept 2000

Nine Inch Nails - Wells Fargo Arena Feb. 2006 (First time back to IA in 10 years)

Slipknot/Slayer co-headliner - 5 Seasons Center Aug 2005

If I could go see a band live (and time wasn't a factor) it would be a tie between the original Pink Floyd and '70's Led Zepplin

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Rob Zombie/Lacuna Coil
Metallica/Godsmack
Disturbed/Fireball Ministry

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Seen:
Grand Funk (oldie but goodie), Elvis (Hilton Concert just before his death - shows my age), CCR, Lynryd Skynryd, Jefferson Starship, Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, Queen, U2, BeeGee's, Meat Loaf, Dave Matthews Band, Harry Connick Jr (coming up), Jimmy Buffett (you attend one of these...you will go back...solid party), Bruce Springsteen, Carlos Santana,Wynton Marsalis, Los Lobos, Bob Dylan (recent benefit in Des Moines, Mason Profitt, Goo Goo Dolls, Simon Estes, James Taylor, Arni DiFranco, Eric Clapton, Various Philharmonic Orchestra's, Chieftains, Sheryl Crow, 3 Tenors (on a cruise) Hall and Oats, Eagles, and Steppenwolf

I really enjoy the Nada's (Peoples, State Fair, Nada's Christmas benefit)
Maintenance Shop has excellent artists, Lot of good "local" groups which play area venues, Blues on Grand in top notch.

Would enjoy:
Nora Jones, Bob Dylan in full concert, Eric Clapton again,

Let's just say, it's been a fun ride - this is why I now need hearing aids!!

Last edited:

Fatsow

Nov 22, 2006
Seen a lot of concerts but Pink Floyd @ Cyclone stadium definitely takes the cake, which happened to be my first concert. The lazer light show was like no other, flights actually had to be rerouted over ames!!

Seen also several great shows, several which were in gods country...

Ted Nugent, Bad Country
ZZ Top
Bush, No Doubt, Goo Goo Dolls
Smashing Pumpkins
Ozzy Osborne, Korn, Deftones
Paige and Plant
Bruce Springsteen (The Boss)
Pearl Jam, Tom Petty

Went to Sturgis 2005 (Fatsow is the name of my bike and what I have on my license plate) and stayed at the Buffalo Chip Campground for five nights and seen... Steve Miller Band, Rob Zombie, CCR, Journey, and Toby Keith. Not a bad lineup!

Great post brings up a lot of excellent memories!

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Fatsow, I officially hate you. :growl5cj: You got to see the freaking Deftones?!?!?!?!? Chino Moreno is a demi-god! His voice isn't the greatest, but he can be confused with noone, and Change (in the house of flies) is one of, if not the, greatest songs of the late '90's