OC Search: Rumblings from Thursday night

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Chris, in regards to your comments about the 1991 Braves roster with Blum, I have a few names for you. Puckett, Hrbek, Morris. Goodnight sir.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It's a good idea to look around even if you think you've got a pretty good answer right here. What if the ISU AD had just said we won't find anything better than promoting one of these assistants and didn't call Johnny Orr when they were looking for a coach? Heck, no one saw that coming - the guy was pretty much fresh off the National Championship game. I realize that we don't have exactly the same situation, but think about it.

Valid point...but technically the AD didn't actually call Johnny....was trying to hire one of his assistants and Johnny offered to take it for the money.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm pretty sure Iowa State legally has to post the job opening and can't just hire an OC. And the they would be stupid to pass on a better coach if one applies.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Funny you ask...I really was planning on taking a few days off next week. Not sure if I will now or not.

Go on vacation, Chris. The following would be sure to happen:

*New OC hired
*Rashad Vaughn commitment
*Fred offered the Brooklyn Nets job
*Allen Lazard spotted on Notre Dame campus

And more. Always exciting when you aren't around!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Valid point...but technically the AD didn't actually call Johnny....was trying to hire one of his assistants and Johnny offered to take it for the money.

I didn't say he called Johnny to ask him about taking the job. He did call Johnny to ask his permission to talk to his assistant coach. That is when Johnny asked what they were offering. When he heard the ungodly sum (I think it was like $90,000 or something like that, about 3x what Johnny was making) he said, hell for that money I would take it.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I didn't say he called Johnny to ask him about taking the job. He did call Johnny to ask his permission to talk to his assistant coach. That is when Johnny asked what they were offering. When he heard the ungodly sum (I think it was like $90,000 or something like that, about 3x what Johnny was making) he said, hell for that money I would take it.

Stop:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_329135.jpg

Velo...I was bustin' your chops, man.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Chris, in regards to your comments about the 1991 Braves roster with Blum, I have a few names for you. Puckett, Hrbek, Morris. Goodnight sir.

please , oh please add a "like" option to the mobile site!

Chris - I have a Kent Hrbek / Ron Gant bobble head, celebrating the '91 series famous pickoff move.

I'd be happy to send you a nice picture of it for use as your avatar!

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Klenakis has a better resume than anyone who could be in consideration. I've come around to that, and I'm actually hoping that he's the guy at this point. If Rhoads hires a guy with a better resume, I'll be happy to be wrong.

Coach Klenakis is a high energy guy. He has a positive attitude. He's a team builder. He has quality experience. I wouldn't be disappointed if he is hired.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
For those interested in the assistant coaching salaries, USA Today published this chart this last week.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
How would the fan base feel about Indiana offensive coordinator Seth Littrell as a candidate? He has been at Indiana in that position for two years now and has consistently put up quality numbers. Littrell’s Hoosiers finished the 2013 regular season ranked 17th in pass offense, 32nd in rush offense and 20th in scoring offense. Obviously, that was done with Indiana talent, a level that I believe is comparable to Iowa State's.
Would a guy like Littrell come to Iowa State though?

Yes, yes, yes.

Maybe he would come to work for Paul Rhoads? The initial FootballScoop report said there would be heavy interest amongst coaches to talk with Rhoads about the OC position because he's that well respected.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
CW, you mentioned the outside guys you are hearing are BCS level assistants. Is it safe to assume then, that a guy like Dave Christensen is not in the running? He was someone I was really hoping would come check us out or does he likely have his eyes set on greener pastures like Florida, etc...

Also, pay that Indiana dude $450k and get him in Ames for a 3 year deal. Want, want, want!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
CW, you mentioned the outside guys you are hearing are BCS level assistants. Is it safe to assume then, that a guy like Dave Christensen is not in the running? He was someone I was really hoping would come check us out or does he likely have his eyes set on greener pastures like Florida, etc...

Also, pay that Indiana dude $450k and get him in Ames for a 3 year deal. Want, want, want!

No I won't say that he isn't in the running. Dudes, I mean this when I tell you how limited information to this search has been. I won't rule anybody completely out.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Don't forget the house with the hot tub. He mentioned the hot tub many times when talking about taking the ISU job.

Clonefan4628

Jan 10, 2012
My source at Iowa Western told me that Strohmeier has been offered the job, but it is unsure if he will take it. This would likely set up a solid pipeline between IWCC and ISU as Strohmeier's brother would step into the head coach position at IWCC.