***NWCA All-Star Classic (Tuesday, 7 p.m.)***

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Bout 13 (165): O'Toole (MIZ) DEC Hamiti (WIS), 7-1
Bout 14 (149): Gomez (WIS) DEC Sasso (OHST), 10-9

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Can we all agree that the “Iowa style” of wrestling is a thing of the past? They are no longer the aggressor in matches. Counter shots and 3rd period flurries is what we have seen from the majority of the lineup for the past couple of years.

Lee will be his normal superhuman self by March. They bought Woods maybe he can be a spark for the team. Otherwise I’m not impressed with this version of Iowa.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How did David look for those that saw it? Nice to see him able to ride a guy of that caliber at that weight. The match was close but Monday is a tough guy to score on it seems like and wrestled a lot of tight matches.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
How did David look for those that saw it? Nice to see him able to ride a guy of that caliber at that weight. The match was close but Monday is a tough guy to score on it seems like and wrestled a lot of tight matches.
As you said, Monday is tough to score on. Remember, he was wrestling up for this (he’s #1 at 157). I wasn’t able to watch, but I’m not sure how much can be taken from this one. They have known each other since they were kids. Probably know each other better than most. I did hear there was some decent action in the match, just no finishes.

The match I key in on is O’Toole/Hamiti. O’Toole handled him fairly easily. David, of course, beat Hamiti, but not like that. O’Toole is a monster.

Reactions: garvey27

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
As you said, Monday is tough to score on. Remember, he was wrestling up for this (he’s #1 at 157). I wasn’t able to watch, but I’m not sure how much can be taken from this one. They have known each other since they were kids. Probably know each other better than most. I did hear there was some decent action in the match, just no finishes.

The match I key in on is O’Toole/Hamiti. O’Toole handled him fairly easily. David, of course, beat Hamiti, but not like that. O’Toole is a monster.
Thanks. O’Toole is the only guy that feels like has the nuts to beat David. He will get better as the year goes on. That dual vs Mizzou is gonna be absolute fireworks.

Reactions: Sturge34

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
He was the one initiating action and Monday was very defensive. David wrestled smart and did what he had to do to win. I think he could have scored on him if he needed to in the 3rd.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
He was the one initiating action and Monday was very defensive. David wrestled smart and did what he had to do to win. I think he could have scored on him if he needed to in the 3rd.
My opinion means nothing because I am not knowledgeable enough, but I feel like David against the top guys is going to try to do enough to win and not much more and basically just wrestle super defensive.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
My opinion means nothing because I am not knowledgeable enough, but I feel like David against the top guys is going to try to do enough to win and not much more and basically just wrestle super defensive.
You might be right. I understand him wanting to go up in weight with larger Olympic aspirations but he could have been a dominant 157 for the next 2 years. He’s path to the NC is exponentially more difficult now and I’m afraid these bigger wrestlers will be better able to stall him out.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
O’Toole looked great, but I don’t think Hamiti was 100%. It looked like he favored his wrapped leg a little

• Agree
Reactions: brett108

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
You might be right. I understand him wanting to go up in weight with larger Olympic aspirations but he could have been a dominant 157 for the next 2 years. He’s path to the NC is exponentially more difficult now and I’m afraid these bigger wrestlers will be better able to stall him out.
The thing with certain people is they simply want to challenge themselves no matter what...David is that kind of person. He knows he could have run through 57 gotten 3 titles like his dad and called it legacy complete. Just think how awesome it'll be when he snags 2 titles at a weight he wasn't suppose to win ;)

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I feel good about David. OToole is the guy to beat and he’s not a huge 165. He looked tiny compared to Hamiti and Griffith in last years final. Size won’t decide that match.