Now that we are having football this fall (hopefully) will fans be able to go.

clones2005

Jan 14, 2017
Social media in 2005 --

"Oh, this is cool! Now I can keep in touch with my friends from high school!"

Social media in 2020 --

"I wish I could forget everything about my friends from high school."
Pretty simple solution - turn the social media off. I closed down my Facebook account years ago and haven't missed a thing about it.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Pretty simple solution - turn the social media off. I closed down my Facebook account years ago and haven't missed a thing about it.

Never had one.

It is nonetheless pretty obvious to see what it has done to society broadly even if you've never participated.

Reactions: clones2005

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
While I'm really looking forward to watching my Cyclones this fall, I'm pessimistic we'll get to play many games, if any. The photo below was taken last night at a campus town bar.

Despite the university's attempts to get students to act responsibly, students aren't taking this seriously and it won't take long before they're all sent home to finish the semester on their computers from their parents' basement. They are the key to making this work and the majority don't care.

The positive test rate of students moving into university housing is 2.2%. That means Iowa State likely has 700+ students walking around campus who don't realize they have the virus, and the vast majority aren't responsible enough to care about looking out for their fellow students.

So discouraging.

Attachments

• download_20200814_211534.png
    download_20200814_211534.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

kcbob79clone

While I'm really looking forward to watching my Cyclones this fall, I'm pessimistic we'll get to play many games, if any. The photo below was taken last night at a campus town bar.

Despite the university's attempts to get students to act responsibly, students aren't taking this seriously and it won't take long before they're all sent home to finish the semester on their computers from their parents' basement. They are the key to making this work and the majority don't care.

The positive test rate of students moving into university housing is 2.2%. That means Iowa State likely has 700+ students walking around campus who don't realize they have the virus, and the vast majority aren't responsible enough to care about looking out for their fellow students.

So discouraging.

To me it is a two part scenario. Games depend on players/coaches and their numbers not rising. Attendance at games depends on the number of cases outside of the players/coaches.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
To me it is a two part scenario. Games depend on players/coaches and their numbers not rising. Attendance at games depends on the number of cases outside of the players/coaches.

I believe the football season also depends upon the university offering in-person classes. If we go all online again, I think you can kiss the season goodbye. And based on my early observations of our students' behavior, I doubt we can make it to Thanksgiving before we have to switch to all online. This will not only be devastating to the Athletic Department budget, it will be horrible news to the university's general fund.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG and Doc

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is very sound logic and I hope that’s what is being used. You never know though.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I believe the football season also depends upon the university offering in-person classes. If we go all online again, I think you can kiss the season goodbye. And based on my early observations of our students' behavior, I doubt we can make it to Thanksgiving before we have to switch to all online. This will not only be devastating to the Athletic Department budget, it will be horrible news to the university's general fund.
My kid is 100% online. Just found out.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Have they announced when the decision will be made regarding attendance? We have to decide by August 28th. If we only get half the games my small group may push our s until next year.

Conductorclone

Aug 25, 2013
Have they announced when the decision will be made regarding attendance? We have to decide by August 28th. If we only get half the games my small group may push our s until next year.

yesterday’s email said decision by September 1st

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Our group just voted on what we should and the consensus was to defer our 2020 season tickets until next year and keep our same location. Just too many unknowns and instead of having to go through them all, as the keep changing constantly, we just said let’s defer.

We thought about tailgating at local bars in Ames before games, but figured they would be packed and with COVID, that wouldn’t be a good choice. If at 25% capacity you have no idea what games you would in for.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our group just voted on what we should and the consensus was to defer our 2020 season tickets until next year and keep our same location. Just too many unknowns and instead of having to go through them all, as the keep changing constantly, we just said let’s defer.

We thought about tailgating at local bars in Ames before games, but figured they would be packed and with COVID, that wouldn’t be a good choice. If at 25% capacity you have no idea what games you would in for.

Nothing wrong with getting a sixer and making/cooking food at home.

I've found it to be way less hassle and the numbers in my bank account look way better the next day.

I'll miss the occasional bar attendance to watch an afternoon game but that was just a luxury.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
My kid is 100% online. Just found out.

Same. My daughter has all online classes except labs (in person). Looks like ISU is handling this very well. COVID testing of everyone moving into dorms. If you test positive, you are put up in a separate location, or you have to return home for two weeks. They turned my daughter's test around in about 18 hours.

Reactions: cygrads

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Don't want to be Debbie Downer, but the majority of students are totally ignoring all the efforts the University is making to keep them safe. I couldn't believe all the crowds of students walking around campus town this afternoon and not a single student was wearing a mask.

This is so preventable, but it appears the students don't give a rip. As a result, they'll soon be heading back home to mom and dad to do the majority of the semester on their computers and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves. Say goodbye to 2020 football season.

kcbob79clone

Don't want to be Debbie Downer, but the majority of students are totally ignoring all the efforts the University is making to keep them safe. I couldn't believe all the crowds of students walking around campus town this afternoon and not a single student was wearing a mask.

This is so preventable, but it appears the students don't give a rip. As a result, they'll soon be heading back home to mom and dad to do the majority of the semester on their computers and they'll have nobody to blame but themselves. Say goodbye to 2020 football season.

As long as the players/coaches follow the rules we'll have games

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames

How is the University going to know? They tested them once; quarantined the positive cases. While available, re-testing is voluntary.