Notebook: Rhoads will evaluate "everything" after the season

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This doesn't need it own thread so ill post it here.

Is this season that much of a surprise to anyone? I predicted 6-6 preseason. We were totally lost against UNI, inexcusable. But other than the 3 ugly blowout losses to 3 good/phenomenal teams, we are a touchdown or less in every game from being 6-3. A little healthier team and leadership makes up that gap. If we had knott, Klein and sage rosenfels, we are 6-3. We dont. 1-8.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This doesn't need it own thread so ill post it here.

Is this season that much of a surprise to anyone? I predicted 6-6 preseason. We were totally lost against UNI, inexcusable. But other than the 3 ugly blowout losses to 3 good/phenomenal teams, we are a touchdown or less in every game from being 6-3. A little healthier team and leadership makes up that gap. If we had knott, Klein and sage rosenfels, we are 6-3. We dont. 1-8.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Put me in the camp of people who wouldn't be surprised to see Mess back next year. It seemed to me that Rhoads made it a point last night to defend him on the call in show. As others have said, he discussed how Mess is better in almost every category than Herman was, and he also said that he doesn't feel playcalling is a huge issue.
If you put these two together, you think they could come up with a play on 3rd and 1 that results in a first down? I'm stuck on that question.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I think some of us on here including myself need to take a vacation from ISU Football. Watching this absolute disaster of a season is driving many of the fans on this site insane. The last ISU game I bothered to watch was the K-State game and I didn't even get upset as a below average Wildcat team took ISU to the woodshed. Normally I would be furious watching a pathetic performance like that but all I can do is laugh at this point. It has gotten so bad that I don't even have the passion to get upset... I just laugh. It's time for a vacation from Cyclone Football before things get too far out of hand here. As far as I am concerned this season is over, it never happened, it doesn't exist. Next fall it will be time to start over fresh. It's basketball season and that is the only thing we should be focused on now.

I DVR'd the game and spent the day with my family. Definitely the most enjoyable Saturday of the autumn for me. As a fan, the air is out of my balloon for the season. I have too many other things going on to keep coming back to this crap sandwich week after week.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Does Herman have Meyer calling the play??
Herbstreit said in the OSU/NW game Meyer calls the majority of the plays and everything is filtered through him.

Honestly dont care if Messingham is back just in a different capacity. We need a quarterbacks coach for sure, someone who can devote 100% of their time to the quarterbacks. I would be all for Sturdy as the OC.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If folks want to provide the worst-case scenario, I will provide the best. I figured a man of your standards would stand for fairness at all times.

Chris Williams' new avatar:

I%20FART%20SUNSHINE_medium.jpg

:pwink:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Herbstreit said in the OSU/NW game Meyer calls the majority of the plays and everything is filtered through him.

Honestly dont care if Messingham is back just in a different capacity. We need a quarterbacks coach for sure, someone who can devote 100% of their time to the quarterbacks. I would be all for Sturdy as the OC.

If this is true Meyer must be a genius because I have watched most OSU games and I have NEVER seen Meyer on the sidelines with the play sheet in front of him and I rarely see him with a headset on.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We need a quarterbacks coach for sure, someone who can devote 100% of their time to the quarterbacks.

Messingham has been the QB coach for two years. We're on the 4th QB of his tenure and every single one has regressed. And he throws them all under the bus all the time. I'd prefer he wasn't allowed within 100 feet of our QBs.

Reactions: TXCyclones

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Messingham has been the QB coach for two years. We're on the 4th QB of his tenure and every single one has regressed. And he throws them all under the bus all the time. I'd prefer he wasn't allowed within 100 feet of our QBs.

I mean a person that has the specific QB coach title and nothing but that duty. I can't imagine juggling the OC position and being a position coach.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I mean a person that has the specific QB coach title and nothing but that duty. I can't imagine juggling the OC position and being a position coach.

Yeah, I mean that would have to be just about as tough as coaching linebackers and being the Defensive Coordinator.

Oh. Wait.

sjDPTyY.jpg

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah, I mean that would have to be just about as tough as coaching linebackers and being the Defensive Coordinator.

Oh. Wait.

sjDPTyY.jpg

Well one is getting the job done at both positions and the other isn't getting his job done at either.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think what's most concerning about Rhoads comments is that this hasn't been an ongoing process. Why wait until the end of the season to shake things up? When you've lost 6 games in a row, and 3 of them by absurd amounts, it's time to make changes! Texas started the season 1-2, so what did they do? Fired their defensive coordinator who had their 5-star defense looking like a big block of swiss cheese. New guy steps in, team hasn't lost since (well, we won't go there right now). All I'm saying is why wait until the end of the season to adjust to what's going on? Isn't that what Messingham's biggest flaw is? Seems as though it has rubbed off on Rhoads.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I guess that's the difference between going out and getting a seasoned vet as a coordinator and promoting your buddy with 0 experience as an OC.

I think I will cry the day Wally retires, just a great person for this program.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Yeah the QB and Offense hasn't been a strong point under Mess. To say the least :twitcy: I would argue that either one's performance be grounds for dismissal.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I realize he has to defend him and he has done so all season. But at this point in the season I feel like he is not just defending, but rather making a case why Mess isn't as bad as everybody thinks.

C'mon...Rhoads is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't! Previous poster said it best. What coach (OC) in his right mind would want to come work for a man that publicly criticizes or scrutinizes the staff under him?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Don't worry guys, we'll be fine next year. Paul's got a magic bullet.