Note to Naysayers, cynics, skeptics. Don't bother reading.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Coach Who Never Punts, Only Does Onside Kicks Lands FCS Job
Kevin Kelley, moves to the FCS ranks after a historic run at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas, that includes nine state titles and being named the USA Today High School Coach of the Year in 2016. His teams once scored 29 points before other team got the ball.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Ballsy. I guess if you treat it like a part of your offense and practice it over an over again, your percentages will be higher than the normal success rate. I could see it working in the right environment.

I'm curious if it's an all-or-nothing approach, or if he exercises some recognition of game-time scenario. It would be a colossally stupid strategy if:
- you're up less than 7 points and trying to protect a lead with little time left
- you're at your own 10 yard line (or less)

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
Ballsy. I guess if you treat it like a part of your offense and practice it over an over again, your percentages will be higher than the normal success rate. I could see it working in the right environment.

I'm curious if it's an all-or-nothing approach, or if he exercises some recognition of game-time scenario. It would be a colossally stupid strategy if:
- you're up less than 7 points and trying to protect a lead with little time left
I read about his a few years ago, so my memory is hazy, but I don't think they had many scenarios when they were only up by 7 with only a little time left. I seem to remember them blowing most teams out (I could be way off).

And I think he would go for it that close to their own endzone. His reasoning was that they had better odds getting the first down then they did stopping the other team score from ~30/40 yards out. That was probably made more true by the fact that many HS kids suck at punting and are more prone to messing up. I'm guessing at the FCS level, those odds look much different. I doubt a lot of this will scale.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Articles from a few years ago, I don't know if either specifically addresses those situations, but it does reveal some of the strategy behind his plan.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Coach Who Never Punts, Only Does Onside Kicks Lands FCS Job
Kevin Kelley, moves to the FCS ranks after a historic run at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas, that includes nine state titles and being named the USA Today High School Coach of the Year in 2016. His teams once scored 29 points before other team got the ball.

There won't be any reading without a link! ;)

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think that's fantastic and coaches are so conservative that they probably don't want to implement a positive change.

No one wants to be the first one to do it because there will be failures and people will immediately call out those failures as proof of why he shouldn't coach.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I posted a couple of links from articles I had read, but haven't reviewed them recently. Among things I recall -- I think an underlying premise, more general than "rarely punting," it's setting up offense as if you are going to use all 4 downs to get 10 yards (so, 2.5 yards per play), instead of a common approach of assuming you need 10 yards in 3 tries (3.33333...). N

Not a huge difference, but extended throughout an entire game of possessions, it adds up. It's enough to change the play-to-play strategy.

Other elements are factors, of course, outlined in the articles, like weighing field position risk and such (as @Zyklon noted).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Always onside kicking is probably dumb, but occasional non 4th quarter inside kicks have been evaluated to be a great risk.

Coaches aren't as dumb about stupid punts as they were 20 years ago.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Small high school success always translates to success at a MUCH higher level.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Disagree with the almost always onside thing, as too many rules are stacked against you with too few options in an onside. I could 100% get on board with never punting though. Or at least never punting with like, 5 or less yards to go.

Reactions: isutrevman

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Disagree with the almost always onside thing, as too many rules are stacked against you with too few options in an onside. I could 100% get on board with never punting though. Or at least never punting with like, 5 or less yards to go.

I won't be 100% accurate with this, but I recall Heacock saying on a podcast that he see the punt as one of the best offensive plays (i.e. you don't score every drive, so its a 40+ yard play (again, not exact works he used, but a counter argument to why punting is good for overall game)

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and Lyon309Cy

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I won't be 100% accurate with this, but I recall Heacock saying on a podcast that he see the punt as one of the best offensive plays (i.e. you don't score every drive, so its a 40+ yard play (again, not exact works he used, but a counter argument to why punting is good for overall game)
Are we shocked a defensive coordinator would think that?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I have always believed that kicking straight away to the fastest guy on the field is very risky. Likewise, squib kicks (to avoid the runback) are hit and miss and often fail.

As a routine, pooch kicks spread out randomly to the sideline would be my favorite. (With practice) Very predictable outcome. Always a chance of live ball recovery. Low risk of runback.

Reactions: clonedude