Not saying to bring back baseball

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Honestly if a male sport gets added I would think soccer could make sense. Cheap, growing participation actoss the coutry at the youth level and not an inherant southern advantage like baseball or extreme northern advantage like hockey. Not a ton of male D-1 teams in the area and would be decent fan support and decent talent in midwest to draw from.
Another men's sport that might make sense would be men's volleyball. Given the weather in Ames, an indoor spring sport makes more sense than an outdoor one.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Another men's sport that might make sense would be men's volleyball. Given the weather in Ames, an indoor spring sport makes more sense than an outdoor one.
With a relative lack of competitive boys volleyball in Iowa I would think soccer would make more sense. There are boys playing soccer everywhere in the midwest and unlike baseball, you can play it in wind, rain and snow.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
With a relative lack of competitive boys volleyball in Iowa I would think soccer would make more sense.
True. And of course, everyone here hates the Chicago suburbs, so of course you don't want to recruit from there. /s But my daughter's high school won a national title in the sport just six years ago. And Illinois is very strong in the sport in general. Missouri, Ohio, and Indiana are very good too. There's definitely talent in the Midwest to draw from.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I would love to see hockey get a look. The Frozen Four can get down right crazy.

As far as conference issues, no one else in the Big 12 has hockey, so we could join the Big 10 as an associate member. They currently have 7 schools fielding hockey teams, including Notre Dame as an associate, so it isnt without precedent.

• Agree
Reactions: jbredwing1

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Didn’t students recently repair the baseball field? It’s dissappointing Iowa State doesn’t have a baseball team, but I am hopeful it gets reinstated at some point in my lifetime. With the Big 12 fielding a decent amount of baseball teams, we would likely get destroyed

Reactions: Deleted member 6804

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So I played for Heller at UIU and his daughter used to come to parties and it would be like a movie where the music would stop. To say she was easy on the eyes would be a major understatement.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would love to see hockey get a look. The Frozen Four can get down right crazy.

As far as conference issues, no one else in the Big 12 has hockey, so we could join the Big 10 as an associate member. They currently have 7 schools fielding hockey teams, including Notre Dame as an associate, so it isnt without precedent.
Nothing like jumping right in with the big boys. Between Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State you are looking at 23 national titles.

ISU2

Jun 21, 2013
If you added baseball wouldn't you have to add another woman's sport as well to even out the scholarships?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
With a relative lack of competitive boys volleyball in Iowa I would think soccer would make more sense. There are boys playing soccer everywhere in the midwest and unlike baseball, you can play it in wind, rain and snow.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sport...cle_face064d-588f-5782-a24b-6e57ea966fbd.html
West Virginia has a solid men's soccer team. Interesting perspective from them. They don't get why other big 12 schools don't. It is a powerhouse recruiting region for soccer yet no programs. Iowa State could have a nationally relevant program pretty quickly Kansas too.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

I'm skeptical the Big 10 would even want ISU. Notre Dame has a much longer history in the sport than ISU and strengthens the conference. WCHA feels like the more likely landing spot.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With ISUs amount of male students, we would be ok adding one. Was thinking swimming /diving was being considered as the easiest to add.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Nothing like jumping right in with the big boys. Between Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State you are looking at 23 national titles.
Its what Penn St did. They werent an NCAA hockey school till 2012, when both mens and womens moved up to the scholarship level. And last year the men won the conference.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Nah, men's volleyball isn't even a thing in Iowa high school (very sexist), I think they'd have a hard time getting a team.

jbredwing1

Sep 12, 2017
St. Louis

Iowa States hockey team has been doing pretty good right now. They won the ACHA championship a few years ago and they're currently ranked as of right now. I think they'd be best off joining the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) than the B1G though.

Right now the B1G has some top notch teams and while you obviously want the big dogs, you have to be realistic. Also right now ISU uses the Ames Ice Arena which is nothing compared to the enormous stadiums used by teams like Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. There are only 3 current conferences that are close enough for ISU to join: the B1G, the WCHA, and the NCHC. Like I said the B1G is very hard but the NCHC is een harder to compete in with teams like Western Michigan, North Dakota, Denver, and Minnesota-Duluth. The WCHA is the best option, offering decent teams that are competitive but at ISU's level. The biggest problem to getting a team will be building a stadium big enough for the DI level and the only way I see that happening is by using Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Nah, men's volleyball isn't even a thing in Iowa high school (very sexist), I think they'd have a hard time getting a team.
While boy's volleyball isn't being played in high school yet, the club volleyball scene for boys in Iowa is increasing pretty quickly. One thing really holding it back is officiating. There are barely enough refs for the girls now, and most of them are under qualified.

For me personally (I'm very biased), I think adding a men's volleyball team would be awesome, plus it would give a spring sport that is actually watchable.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Regarding men's soccer and men's volleyball, it doesn't make any sense to add a sport that the Big 12 doesn't offer/sanction.

West Virginia men's soccer plays in the MAC. ISU would have to compete either in the MAC or the Missouri Valley.

There are only about two dozen schools in Division I with men's volleyball. The closest ones are Loyola-Chicago, Ball State, and IPFW. About a dozen are out west, and the rest are Ohio and eastward.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron