Not getting ahead of myself.... Okay i am.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Say if we win the Big 12, or at least make it to the championship game. We have basically everyone coming back next season. This legitimately could be a pre-season top 10 team come next fall.
I doubt we'd be preseason Top 10 because, well... "We are Iowa State." Not that we maybe shouldn't be, but we wouldn't be. Top 25 for sure, maybe Top 15. But lots of AP journalists would put half the SEC and Big 10 in the Top 10 just due to name recognition before ISU.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I doubt we'd be preseason Top 10 because, well... "We are Iowa State." Not that we maybe shouldn't be, but we wouldn't be. Top 25 for sure, maybe Top 15. But lots of AP journalists would put half the SEC and Big 10 in the Top 10 just due to name recognition before ISU.

If they win the Big 12 that likely means they win out in games against Texas, West Virginia and Oklahoma. Not taking into account the result of the Sugar Bowl (unless CFP expands to more teams) Iowa State would finish the year in the top 10.

They return Purdy, Hall, Hutchinson, Milton, Scates, Shaw, Kolar and the entire offensive line (minus Foster) and a LOT of that defense.

If, IF they win the Big 12 they will undoubtedly enter next season a preseason top 10 team if not approaching top 5ish territory (which just sounds crazy I know).

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Say if we win the Big 12, or at least make it to the championship game. We have basically everyone coming back next season. This legitimately could be a pre-season top 10 team come next fall.

We lose all three tight ends on offense. Lose half of the defense. It, the defense has some depth we haven’t seen before.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We lose all three tight ends on offense. Lose half of the defense. It, the defense has some depth we haven’t seen before.

Technically we don't have to lose any of them. I see Allen and Soehner leaving. Kolar is a maybe leaving (will depend on how we finish the year and what his draft stock is, I'd lean toward him coming back)

On a normal year, on defense we would be losing JaQuan, Eisworth, Hummel, White, Enyi. But just take a look at the guys we have coming back. Every team loses good seniors. We don't lose a lot...

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Nobody uses a year of eligibility this season.

Kolar is probably gone. Allen and Soehner may want to play one more year. Dean will slot in the scheme really well.

Let it rip!!!!

(edit)I see that I am third with this reply. Oh well.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If they win the Big 12 that likely means they win out in games against Texas, West Virginia and Oklahoma. Not taking into account the result of the Sugar Bowl (unless CFP expands to more teams) Iowa State would finish the year in the top 10.

They return Purdy, Hall, Hutchinson, Milton, Scates, Shaw, Kolar and the entire offensive line (minus Foster) and a LOT of that defense.

If, IF they win the Big 12 they will undoubtedly enter next season a preseason top 10 team if not approaching top 5ish territory (which just sounds crazy I know).
This what the pundits will say. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it will take a couple more years of success to be given respect. We'll certainly have a chance to play ourselves into great things.

"The Cyclones were a very good team last year, but COVID made it such a strange season its doubtful that success is sustainable. Also [insert other team here] is returning nearly as much production and they have had a couple of KILLER recruiting classes to replace the talent they lost to the NFL."

• Winner
Reactions: a29_clone