Not a good year for IOWA and ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We all know about our 'Clones dismal season but has anyone really looked at who Iowa has beaten this year? Only ONE Division IA team with a winning record (Purdue). And included in their six wins is a victory over a IAA team (Montana).

If ISU loses to Mizzou we will have paid Mac approximately $367,000 per victory this season. If IOWA loses to Minny they will have paid Ferentz approximately $460,000 per victory this season (if you subtract the $400,000 he recently donated back to Iowa it is $400,000 per victory).

This team has really gotten bad........fast. As has Iowa. It is amazing the impact that the mental side of the game has. I really feel that we aren't that far away from playing winning football. We just need an injection of innovation, gutsy play calling, and a focus on fundamentals which we have been lacking for quite a while. ISU has not been a good blocking or tackling team for quite a while. And it is painfully apparent this year. It is also apparent that Hodge and Greenway covered up a lot of weaknesses in the Iowa defense.

Glad that ISU and Iowa play EARLY as this game might not even be shown on "regional TV or delayed broadcast" if it was this weekend.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Just think.....Even if Iowa loses against Minny and goes 6-6, They will end up in the Alamo bowl or champs. That is just fricking rediculus. Hawkeye fans will go in big numbers to San Antonio or Orlando and will be happy again. Especially if they beat big12 team. probably A&M/K-State/Mizzou/OSU.
If we went 6-6, we would probably have to get an at large bowl. The Alamo wouldnt even be an option.

Last edited:

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Even if Iowa does finish 6-6, it doesn't guarentee 'em a bowl game. Just bowl elegible. Oh I agree, they'll go someplace for sure! I'm just saying how sweet it would be to see them home for the holiday's. But because they travel like Greatful Dead groupies, they'll get someplace nice & south I'm sure... Hopefully they'll draw some huge ranked opponent and get 50 points hung on 'em in the 1st qtr.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I hope they get the Motor City Bowl. That bowl is worse than not going to one for most B10 teams.

There is no chance of that. There will be 2 BCS teams. After that there will most likely be only 4 other teams eligible. Wisconsin, Penn St, Purdue, Iowa. Minny and Indiana will go if they can beat Iowa and purdue.

OSU - BCS
MICH - BCS
WISC - CAP1 or Outback
PENN ST- CAP1 or Outback (needs to be MSU)

Purdue Champs Sports or Alamo
Iowa Champs Sports or Alamo WIN or LOSE
Champs sports get acc #3 or Alamo gets Big12

Indiana - If they win then Insight or Motor City (insight if the other loses)
Minneasota If they win then Insight or Motor City (insight if the other loses).

What I think is a damn shame is that bowl picks are all about money and not about the results on the field. Do you guys think it is fair for Indiana or Minnesota to get passed by a team that they both beat and has the same or worse record? That is not fair to the program or the kids. Just because more fans travel. I see the point in their eyes, but if you really think about that it sucks.
Just imagine if Iowa State was 25-8 in basketball, but they said ya know...you are going to be an 11 seed because UNC, Kansas, Oklahoma etc are in your bracket and they travel better. sad...
My prediction. Iowa to the Alamo and plays A&M or K-State.

Of course I didn't see an average Iowa team getting to go to a new years day bowl again either last year. That just validates my point.

Last edited:

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Even if Iowa does finish 6-6, it doesn't guarentee 'em a bowl game. Just bowl elegible. Oh I agree, they'll go someplace for sure! I'm just saying how sweet it would be to see them home for the holiday's. But because they travel like Greatful Dead groupies, they'll get someplace nice & south I'm sure... Hopefully they'll draw some huge ranked opponent and get 50 points hung on 'em in the 1st qtr.

Testify!!! Amen!!!

I would like one last chance to see Drew Tate whine & cry & pout like a wittle, wittle baby on nat'l tv.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
iowa's not getting alamo just because they're bowl eligible - there's a certain hierarchy to the bowls, and just because iowa travels well doesn't mean that the bowl can just pick them. they have a choice in team depending on record, and if there are 7 teams in front of iowa with iowa being tied with another school, then those 7 teams in front of iowa get preference. iowa may or may not get prefrerence over the school it's tied with.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I hope your right but if you look at the standings.....It sure looks good for a 6-6 Iowa team to make it to the Alamo or Champs.

Take a look..
Michigan 7-0 11-0 ----BCS
Ohio State 7-0 11-0 ---BCS
Wisconsin 7-1 10-1 ----Outback\CAP1
Penn State 4-3 7-4 ----Outback\CAP1 (Beat MSU)

The rest of these teams are clustered together
Purdue wins then they are the leader of this pack.
Isn't it 2 games the rule that you can't jump another team???
Purdue 4-3 7-4 -Plays Indiania
Indiana 3-4 5-6
Iowa 2-5 6-5 --Play Minneasota
Minnesota 2-5 5-6

If Indiana and Minnesota lose then only 6 teams are eligible. 2 are already in the BCS. That only leaves 4 teams left. Champs or Alamo is what it will be.
This is sad...I am breaking down the B10.

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Biggest thing about the bowls is that the Big Ten DEFINITELY has the best choices. The ONLY bad bowl in their whole selection is the MOTOR CITY and Iowa is fortunate in this year that they would be Motor City material that there will be two BCS teams from the Big Ten. I really don't think that Iowa will get the Alamo Bowl. In fact, if they lose to Minnesota they will have lost FIVE Big Ten games in a row. They will have a 2-6 Conference record with ONLY ONE WIN versus a team with a winning record.

My understanding in Bowl selection is that the Bowls DON"T have to follow record in league but rather have that corresponding choice. Record does play a part but so does desirability.

I look for the Hawks to lose to Minny. Maybe get an Insight bid.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
What I think is a damn shame is that bowl picks are all about money and not about the results on the field. Do you guys think it is fair for Indiana or Minnesota to get passed by a team that they both beat and has the same or worse record? That is not fair to the program or the kids. Just because more fans travel. I see the point in their eyes, but if you really think about that it sucks.

Well, remember what happened last year? Iowa ended the season with the same record as Northwestern and Michigan, and got beat by both of those teams, but still ended up going to a better bowl than either of them. Don't you think that Northwestern fans would have been jacked about a January 1st bowl game and would have traveled well for it? You know they would have. But Iowa got it because of their reputation, and not because of what they accomplished on the field (or what they didn't accomplish). It was a gutless pick by the Outback Bowl.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

If they go Alamo, chalk them up for 6-7.

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
You guys worry baout your 3-8 soon to be 3-9 season and the up in the air future of cyclone football and we will worry about our dismal season.

You got to love pathetic state fans trying to talk down An IOWA season when theirs is pretty much non-existant. You can't talk IOWA down, we're already there. The difference is our dismal season still leaves us bowl eligible in a HAWKEYE STATE and STATE's leaves them well pretty much nothing. You guys can't even win one last game for the man that brought you to the next level before he is thrown out like last weeks Garbage. HOW MUCH MOTIVATION DO YOU GUYS NEED??

But by all means discuss at length how bad IOWA is, it's true we are bad.......if that makes you feel like all nice and cozy. Really it's the only thing you have left in this season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know if you noticed your board, but there is plenty of ISU talking down going on over there too.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
You guys worry baout your 3-8 soon to be 3-9 season and the up in the air future of cyclone football and we will worry about our dismal season.

You got to love pathetic state fans trying to talk down An IOWA season when theirs is pretty much non-existant. You can't talk IOWA down, we're already there. The difference is our dismal season still leaves us bowl eligible in a HAWKEYE STATE and STATE's leaves them well pretty much nothing. You guys can't even win one last game for the man that brought you to the next level before he is thrown out like last weeks Garbage. HOW MUCH MOTIVATION DO YOU GUYS NEED??

But by all means discuss at length how bad IOWA is, it's true we are bad.......if that makes you feel like all nice and cozy. Really it's the only thing you have left in this season.

Actually, it is just about all we have left. I won't bash them though. You can't blame them for traveling well and being in a conference with a fantastic bowl set up. If ISU really wanted to do something about it, we'd start pushing the Big XII to start looking at other bowls than Shrieveport, Houston and Fort worth. Then, we always have to fight with South teams for bids also. Does it suck, I don't know, I never really tought of it that way. We don't compete with Iowa for Bowl space really, so, why should it matter to us.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

DEAL! But you gotta admit it's pretty hilarious watching John Miller and the rest of the EIU "braintrust" attempting to come to grips with what was predicted to be a 11-1 or, no worse than 10-2 season. Goes to show how out of touch with reality you and your Hawkeye kind are...

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
I don't know if you noticed your board, but there is plenty of ISU talking down going on over there too.

I wouldn't say it's cyclone bashing, more of a relative interest in what's going on in the ISU football dept. Who you're hiring, how everyone is handling the tidal wave of drama, how much we think cy-nation will miss MAC....Yatta yatta. i wouldn't really consider that ripping on ISU. But you're right there are those that love the cheap shot at ISU and love to sneak it in at any moment.

Only ONE Division IA team with a winning record (Purdue). And included in their six wins is a victory over a IAA team (Montana).

UNI is one of you're 3 wins?? I just find these points petty and the Pot calling Kettle black here!

All things aside, I really do hope you boys suck it up and turn it on the last game of the year. WHO HATES MIZZOU, I do!

Last edited:

Brady12

Aug 11, 2006
DEAL! But you gotta admit it's pretty hilarious watching John Miller and the rest of the EIU "braintrust" attempting to come to grips with what was predicted to be a 11-1 or, no worse than 10-2 season. Goes to show how out of touch with reality you and your Hawkeye kind are...

I agree, It is Hilarious and any hawk fan that doesn't think so has had too much Kool-aid. But again wasn't ISU predicted to win the big 12 north or at least compete. I'm pretty sure ISU fans can be just as "Out of Touch" as Iowa can be. the only difference is you can only see the other team drinking Kool-aid, but fail to notice when you are also "Drinking the Kool-aid" Just of a different flavor.

Just saying I think alot of this goes both ways.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What is said about the whole situation is that Iowa could go 2-6 in the Big Ten and still possibily play in the Alamo bowl...

That just shows there are TOO MANY BOWL games AND the qualifications to get into a bowl game are very, very sad. 2-6 in the conference is just terrible...thank god for their super-weak non-conference schedule...

Just as a lesson to ISU fans, why don't we just schedule 4 cupcake teams in August/September...then we only have to win 2 more games to make a bowl.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006

You have a point that Cyclone fans should stop trying to feel better about our bad season by talking about UofI's bad season. However, you would have more credibility if your posts were less inflammatory. Also, aren't you doing exactly the same thing you just blasted us for doing?