North Dakota BB game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Is the North Dakota that we play Sat Div 1?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
D-1 is getting bigger and bigger. Excellent.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
So that must mean they're not a D-1 team this year. If we win will this count as a win towards any post season play?

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
I don't understand why we would even want to schedule a game like this than? I don't have a problem with scheduling easier teams at this point in the season, but why not find an easier team that will count towards our RPI?

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
NDSU and SDSU are both D1 this year though...

I think we are playing the University of ND, not NDSU.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Didn't Coach Mac coach there one year? I assume this is why we have them scheduled.

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Scheduling a d2 school that doesn't count towards your rpi is actually better than scheduling a horrible d1 school in a lot of cases...plays a team 270-330 does nothing to help a team's rpi, and significantly brings down a teams' strength of schedule. Beating a d2 school doesn't help you make the NIT or NCAA, but it also doesn't hurt your strength of schedule or RPI.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Didn't Coach Mac coach there one year? I assume this is why we have them scheduled.
Greg got his coaching start at UND under Rich Glas in like 88, he coached Ben Jacobson who is now Head Coach at UNI, with Rich now as Ben's Asst....

Just paying back a favor to UND, who now is being coached by Brian Jones UNI player and graduate, who also used to assist Steve Alford at Iowa....

By the way UND has won it's last 10 in a row.....

Cyclones by 25.....

Last edited:

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
NDSU and SDSU are both D1 this year though...

I think we are playing the University of ND, not NDSU.
In North Dakota mixing up these two Universities would be like ....

In Iowa confusing Iowa and Iowa State.....?

Not a good idea, but happens alot.....:confused:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
In North Dakota mixing up these two Universities would be like ....

In Iowa confusing Iowa and Iowa State.....?

Not a good idea, but happens alot.....:confused:

Again, I didn't have them confused, just pointing out there are D1 schools to play in the Dakotas, but the one we are playing is D2.

sdcyfan

May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD
Played under Glas and Jacobson was an assistant there at that time too. Great coaches, even better people, and coach Glas would always comment on what a great defensive player Jacobson was. Believe me he was. He would play in pick up games with us sometimes and would completely shut down whomever he was on. Also, for those of you who are unfamiliar with UND, they are D-1 in hockey which of course is pretty big up there and will switch to D-1aa in football and D-1 in basketball and other sports next year. The Bison/Sioux rivalry will be renewed which we are all happy about. That game would compare to Michigan/Ohio State in D-1. I played football there for 4 years and basketball my freshman and sophomore years and I've never been around people who hate each other as much and Bison/Sioux folk.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
Scheduling a d2 school that doesn't count towards your rpi is actually better than scheduling a horrible d1 school in a lot of cases...plays a team 270-330 does nothing to help a team's rpi, and significantly brings down a teams' strength of schedule. Beating a d2 school doesn't help you make the NIT or NCAA, but it also doesn't hurt your strength of schedule or RPI.

I don't mean to sound like a smart a** or anything but if what you say is true than I wonder why we don't play more d2 schools. It seems like we have at least 3 or 4 games every year against (for lack of a better term) "teams we should beat". If RPI is what really counts in getting to post season play why even schedule a team that has a reputation of a bad RPI.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
On the Rome show I just heard a "war" for North Dakota basketball v Iowa State tomorrow.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Even though this team is only D-2, i'm worried because they play almost all guards in a very weird offense (nothing but back cuts). I'm hoping our guys can adjust to something so different than what they're used to!