Non Major League Sports

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was going to say there are a lot more Cubs fans but your probably right as most people that attend aren't baseball fanatics.

I remember going to a game when I think Maddox did a rehab start. It was jam packed. He pitched 2 innings and the place cleared out!

Fireworks after the game do more for the ICubs than the actual play. I used to go a few times a year before I had kids, now I probably haven't been in 5 or 6 years.

My interest in non-major sports outside of College is basically zero. I'd rather go to a high school baseball game than the ICubs.

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
This exactly, and it's one thing markets and the teams themselves need to realize about everything outside of major pro sports and power conference college sports. These are fun events that are something to do, and have almost nothing to do with their being "fans" of the teams. Hint to local radio - Nobody is going to listen to a minor league sports game on the radio, because nobody goes for the outcome of the game. It's an event to drink some beer, watch the action and have some fun with the family or friends. It helps to have the I-Cubs be affiliated with the most popular team in the market, but I think that has really little to do with the attendance.

That's a big part. We went to a bunch AAA (or was it AA) baseball games in New Orleans, because it was cheap, they were running some sort of food/drink special, and was a pretty low key environment. One guy in our group was a big baseball fan (played college ball), but while he appreciated it a different level, he was still interested in the beer. I mean why else do so many AAA stadiums resemble carnivals or theme parks now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Are the Explorers still around? I used to have a lot of fun going to those games growing up when we were visiting family in Sioux City. I remember the beer vendor being hilarious.

My uncle played outfield for them for a short time.

Yeah I haven't lived there since late 90s but when I check the sports page when I visit it's the same Musketeers, Explorers, Bandits, Morningside/BC and local HS.

Musketeers have been there nearly my whole life but when X's and Bandits started (I was a hs and college kid) I thought it was cool but wouldn't last, both proved me wrong.

Imho it's a pretty small market to have had 3 teams like that all 20 years or older now. I think the Musketeers are having great year right now actually (some local friends follow them on social media). The Dakota Dunes Open/Ben Hogan/Nike tour seemed like a big deal for a while but I don't know what came of that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fireworks after the game do more for the ICubs than the actual play. I used to go a few times a year before I had kids, now I probably haven't been in 5 or 6 years.

My interest in non-major sports outside of College is basically zero. I'd rather go to a high school baseball game than the ICubs.

This is why any of us who have paid to attend ISU, bought tickets to a game, or even paid Iowa taxes have already created the vast majority of the value these players have in their NIL deals. The brand is the thing and we (those three groups, many of us in all three groups) paid for the brand.

ICubs players aren't less elite in their talent, probably more talented on average per their respective sport than typical B12 or B10 athletes.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This is why any of us who have paid to attend ISU, bought tickets to a game, or even paid Iowa taxes have already created the vast majority of the value these players have in their NIL deals. The brand is the thing and we (those three groups, many of us in all three groups) paid for the brand.

ICubs players aren't less elite in their talent, probably more talented on average per their respective sport than typical B12 or B10 athletes.

I agree and disagree. It's both. When the team is good, the brand is great and fans are awesome. When it's McD era or late stage Prohm, there isn't much value there either way. I'm fine with the players getting a bigger cut.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Aloha!

FWIW, I have been to a football game @ Hawaii (2002 vs. Alabama), and I have seen them on the road twice (2006 @ Alabama and 2016 vs. Cal @ Sydney, AUS). The Hawaii fan support is really deep, and I appreciate it very much.

I also graduated from Iowa State and went to football (Walden Era) and men's basketball games (Orr Era) regularly and a few women's basketball (pre-Fennely Era), a few baseball (saw OU the year they won the CWS) and a few hockey game (Beat those guys! Check those Fu@#$%S!).

I moved away for a quarter century (OLD!) and moved back to Iowa in 2019. Now, that I live in Des Moines, I support Des Moines sports along with Iowa State sports. I have a Drake Men's B-Ball season ticket and go to a few Drake football games a year. Went to the entire Spring Season in 2021!

I also have been to a few Menace soccer games, Wild hockey games and an I-Cubs game. When they build the new soccer stadium downtown, I will buy a season ticket for that (as I love soccer).

Hawaii has a couple of advantages that I like. The Mahalo spirit of the Islands transcends sports and is more of a cultural support of all things UH. At least, that is how I see it.

As for the baseball, ISU baseball was tough with the bad weather for much of the early season. I only went to two games in my time @ ISU. I can definitely see why UH has much better support than ISU did when we were in school.

Plus, UH doesn't have to share the state with others from a major college sports point of view.

Aloha!
Aloha! That's nice that you saw UH football those times. I find the football fan support to be somewhat fair weather.

As far as the aloha spirit goes, that does help in terms of supporting UH sports, but I think there is a good cultural connection to ISU sports, too, so it doesn't separate Hawaii from Iowa as much as people might think.

I enjoyed going to football while I was at ISU during the first years of McCarney even though they went a combined 6-27. I went to 1 basketball game (I tried to go to the ISU-KU basketball game in 1997, but I decided not to spend over $100 for a ticket.

That's awesome that you went to a couple of ISU baseball games while you were there. I'm sure the team really appreciated your support! Being from Hawaii (spent 1 1/2 years in California first) I acclimated to the Iowa weather and wasn't miserable going to the baseball games in the cooler weather.

That's great that you support the Des Moines minor league teams.

Have fun going to future games!

Aloha!

Reactions: AlaCyclone

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I wish minor league baseball had more of a national following like college basketball or football. I hear some people say that there isn't an interest in how well a minor league team does, but I know there are others who do care. When Honolulu had it's AAA team, I remember following the standings and pulling for the (Hawaii) Islanders.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree and disagree. It's both. When the team is good, the brand is great and fans are awesome. When it's McD era or late stage Prohm, there isn't much value there either way. I'm fine with the players getting a bigger cut.

That's even more toward the brand being everything than I was thinking but I agree.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
In Cedar Rapids area, the two that stick around are the Kernels (A baseball for the Twins) and the Rough Riders (USHL jr hockey). Both are the “things to do” during summer or winter, even supported by local businesses and families for outings. I don’t think anyone outside of season ticket holders really follow either, however just use them as an activity.

CR had an indoor football team (which I don’t know is coming back or not) and had some indoor soccer teams come and go.

Otherwise CR is close to U of I (and Ames isn’t too far) to follow the P5 NCAA sports.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
T
We will have to build a second computer that will take 10 million years to tell us what the question is.
To clarify, the question is what are the alternatives for places that don't have a home team at the major league level.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Yeah, but loyal fans bring value.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I get the alumni part of following a college team, but a lot of fans aren't alumni so their support is like rooting for the other form of non major league sports.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, but loyal fans bring value.

Of course they do. But most fans have a limit on that loyalty. We're extremely lucky that Prohm's last year was a COVID year or it would have been friends and family only in Hilton.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Of course they do. But most fans have a limit on that loyalty. We're extremely lucky that Prohm's last year was a COVID year or it would have been friends and family only in Hilton.
I realize that there are fans who are fair weather, but there are also fans who want to support their team win or lose.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I wish minor league baseball had more of a national following like college basketball or football. I hear some people say that there isn't an interest in how well a minor league team does, but I know there are others who do care. When Honolulu had it's AAA team, I remember following the standings and pulling for the (Hawaii) Islanders.
A big hurdle with AAA baseball as far as getting invested as a fan is that they are controlled by the parent club and I would say the club's primary goal isn't winning championships. The AAA team exists primarily to develop talent and rehab injuries so the MLB club can make a run. Hard to get caught up in wins and losses of a team who has bigger goals above wins and losses.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
A big hurdle with AAA baseball as far as getting invested as a fan is that they are controlled by the parent club and I would say the club's primary goal isn't winning championships. The AAA team exists primarily to develop talent and rehab injuries so the MLB club can make a run. Hard to get caught up in wins and losses of a team who has bigger goals above wins and losses.
Yeah, that's true. I wonder though if promoting a culture in AAA baseball where winning was more important might help players develop into more team players which they could use if they make it to the big league level.