Non-Confernce Update..

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
How many people realistically care about UMKC? Let's be honest. This gives us negative publicity
How many people care about a winter break game in Hilton against UMKC? About 7,000 ISU Fans? Maybe the same amount in KC except that the KC fans probably wouldn't travel to Ames for a Wednesday game

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
More about throwing isu fans and alumni in the kc area a bone id guess. I don't care about umkc.. but I generally don't care about mid majors in general including uni and drake

I would much rather play UNI or Drake. At least there's an in-state rivalry aspect to that

D

DistrictCyclone

How many people care about a winter break game in Hilton against UMKC? About 7,000 ISU Fans? Maybe the same amount in KC except that the KC fans probably wouldn't travel to Ames for a Wednesday game

Bingo. At the very least, this is a nice thing for our large alumni base in KC. Some people on this thread are acting like we withdrew from playing UNC on an aircraft carrier in the Bahamas for this, but ****** almighty; if this displaced anything at all, it was just another home game against St. Nowhere State in front of a couple thousand people during student break. Big deal.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Wichita State would have been a great opponent for something like this. Still, I don't have a huge problem with it. I'm sure it's a 2-for-1, and it gives a significant alumni base an easy chance to see a game. And, hey, maybe we can win a non-conference road game for the first time since 2010.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
If we go down there and take care of business like we should, then I don't care whether we go there or not. Great opportunity for a large population of alumni to attend a game, give a group that lost it's three top scorers some road experience.. The only thing that has me a little worried about this game is if we go in expecting to walk right through them, lay an egg, and manage to somehow lose this game and have it be a glaring bad loss come bubble time.

But like I said. If the boys go and play like they should, it shouldn't be a problem.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hasn't UNI been one of our best attended non-con games? I wouldn't call it completely one sided

For football.. sure. But bball doesn't show a huge increase over any other non break game. Its hard to call it a rivalry when it ranks after like.. 20 other games on our schedule in a given year..