Non-Conference Schedule

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
While this has some truth to it, I don't really buy it either. For all the credit ISU fans give Hilton (justifiably so) there are plenty of teams that are very, very good at home. If teams won't come to ISU, I assume KU, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Memphis, VCU, Creighton, and many teams I am not aware of have the same problem. Hell, K State is very good at home.

actually its true. almost all those teams have a hard time getting home games. even KU had a hard time finding a home-home opponent two years ago. so who did they schedule? Colorado. What happens? They lose to the Buffs on a last second shot.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nebraska, mizzou, minny, Illinois all make a ton of regional and history sense. There are any number of interesting mid majors that would kill for a home/home with us. Why are we playing some of these teams instead of vcu, byu, San Jose st, etc? Do you honestly care if you get 15 or 16 home games instead of 17 if they are crap opponents? How much more would the AD make on a good game that is televised over a string of mc22 games?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
actually its true. almost all those teams have a hard time getting home games. even KU had a hard time finding a home-home opponent two years ago. so who did they schedule? Colorado. What happens? They lose to the Buffs on a last second shot.

Well OK, if it's true, schedule some away games then. All those teams that can't get a good team to come there should be glad to have us then. Losing @ a good team early in the year won't hurt you at all, and really helps if you get the W.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Well OK, if it's true, schedule some away games then. All those teams that can't get a good team to come there should be glad to have us then. Losing @ a good team early in the year won't hurt you at all, and really helps if you get the W.

but we don't make any money on away games. need to have the home games for $$$$.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Nebraska, mizzou, minny, Illinois all make a ton of regional and history sense. There are any number of interesting mid majors that would kill for a home/home with us. Why are we playing some of these teams instead of vcu, byu, San Jose st, etc? Do you honestly care if you get 15 or 16 home games instead of 17 if they are crap opponents? How much more would the AD make on a good game that is televised over a string of mc22 games?

i'm sure if we carried enough weight to get on tv we would. but we don't.

nebraska could be a possibility, but only because of hoiberg's ties there. doesn't really make much sense for us or them.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Well, hopefully in the future we can start getting into some tournaments where we won't be the headliner.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
The Arkansas team could/will be a very interesting matchup. Initially, Arkansas was the last team I wanted to get matched up with from the SEC after watching them last year a few times. When I watched them, they played really aggressive, fast pace, and have some nice quick talented athletic players that can score. Also, you know they have this game circled/statement game and are going to come into Hilton with a chip on their shoulders and go all out to verify what their program is trying to build.

Should be a classic back and forth game and have come to the conclusion that this game may give this years squad some early on adversity experience to build upon for latter in the year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well, hopefully in the future we can start getting into some tournaments where we won't be the headliner.

You're referring to getting high-end tournament invitations. Consistent success (high conference finishes in regular season, frequent rankings, good NCAA tournament runs) will help with that.

Maui field is scheduled at least 2 years out (maybe it's even 3) but that's a biggie, along with a few other high-profile slots ... if that happens, we'd get a built-in resume-boost (and exposure) and the rest of the typical schedule wouldn't have to change all that much.

Consistency is a key. Two good seasons followed by one or two marginal years, then a couple OK seasons -- that won't get us into those situations often enough.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
You're referring to getting high-end tournament invitations. Consistent success (high conference finishes in regular season, frequent rankings, good NCAA tournament runs) will help with that. Maui field is scheduled at least 2 years out (maybe it's even 3) but that's a biggie, along with a few other high-profile slots ... if that happens, we'd get a built-in resume-boost (and exposure) and the rest of the typical schedule wouldn't have to change all that much. Consistency is a key. Two good seasons followed by one or two marginal years, then a couple OK seasons -- that won't get us into those situations often enough.
K-State, Mizzou, Purdue, Pitt and BYU are in this year's Maui Invitational. Not sure why Iowa State can't get in there right now. Not every team in the field is Arizona, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. I have no idea what the process is for these tourneys so I don't know what it takes to get in. I am sure that schools don't just sit back crossing their fingers hoping for an invite.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
i'm betting/predicting we go to maui in 2016.

I've always wanted to go over to Hawaii when KU plays there but my wife doesn't see sitting in a gym with no air conditioning watching basketball as her dream Hawaiian vacation. Who is this person I married? Maybe I'll ask her to send me on my own for my next milestone birthday. Yeah, right.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I've always wanted to go over to Hawaii when KU plays there but my wife doesn't see sitting in a gym with no air conditioning watching basketball as her dream Hawaiian vacation. Who is this person I married? Maybe I'll ask her to send me on my own for my next milestone birthday. Yeah, right.

Yeah my wife wouldn't either. Women suck.

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
I really wish we had that stellar home game to get tickets to. Now I'll probably end up going to the CBE in KC and then try and land tickets to the KU game...assuming that's not on a Monday again. Though I'm guessing when Big Monday comes out we will have at minimum 3 of those games, one of those being Vs. KU.

whatparking

Apr 25, 2014
On a sot of related note. . . New ticket prices are out for mbb. Did not go up much, except individual ticket prices.