Noise Cancelling Headphones

ist8er

Aug 3, 2010
Wichita
I'd go Bose...I heard the Dr Dre ones aren't built very well...my friend worked at apple and said that he saw a bunch get returned...the cables kept coming out of the headphones

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
What is your price range? Those mentioned so far are pretty expensive. I have a couple pairs of Sony NC ones and they work pretty well for the money.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
What is your price range? Those mentioned so far are pretty expensive. I have a couple pairs of Sony NC ones and they work pretty well for the money.

I'll most likely buy at the upper price range if I think the value is there. I can buy the Bose QC-15, but I'm just not that convinced that they are that much better than say the Sony's, or more importantly even if they are that much better if I'll notice or if I need that much better sound. I'm not a music junkie, and want them primarily for travel. I don't travel that much but when I do I go hard and a lot of very noisy little planes. I will use them mostly with my iPod touch.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I was prepared to spend a lot a couple of years ago (Bose I was thinking at first). But based on advice from a friend and my (web) research I got these instead:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural - Black

A broader Google search ("Sennheiser headphones"):

headphones - Google Search

I've been very happy with the sound (and the big savings) as well as the engineering. They fold up very nicely. You can spend a lot more for other Sennheiser models but there was really no need for me to.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Go to headfi.com. That place is the best for info. on headphones. Be careful though, Bose is a dirty word over there. Bose charges way to much money for the amount of quality they have. They are not respected among audiophiles. Bose is seen more as a marketing company more than anything else. Anyway, lots of better alternatives than Bose products.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Another vote Sennheiser, From direct experience. You can get ones that outperform the Bose at 1/2 or less the cost, and for the same $ blow the Bose out of the water.

If you really want the best sound cancelling, these are best, Westone's. They are a mix between an earplug and a headphone. They aren't "active," but again from direct experience they work much better in reducing ambient noise.

Best Earphones for Motorcycle Riders

I got the Westone 1 model.

Cloned92

Nov 9, 2010
Ames, IA
I absolutely LOVE my Bose QC-15 headphones. Not only are they super comfortable but the noise cancellation is very impressive and the sound quality is superb. On airplanes, they make all the difference in the world. If you are willing to shell out some cash for a good pair, these are well worth it.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
This topic comes up every once in a while so sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm looking for some decent < $100 over the ear type headphones (preferably noise cancelling). Head-fi.com has almost too much information. Any audiophiles have any recommendations in that price range? I'd mostly use them at work.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This topic comes up every once in a while so sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm looking for some decent < $100 over the ear type headphones (preferably noise cancelling). Head-fi.com has almost too much information. Any audiophiles have any recommendations in that price range? I'd mostly use them at work.

Not noise canceling but I've been very happy with the Audi-Technica ATH M50's. I just wish I had gotten a coiled wire. I team this up with a little headphone amplifier. The one real nice feature is that you can crank them without the sound leaking. The bad part is after 3-4 hours your ears will get a little hot.

Last edited:

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Able Planet is a very good value buy. There are certainly higher quality options, but they are as good as Bose, for significantly less

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Any good earbuds that are bluetooth that aren't necessary notice canceling - but seal to a point they kill most of the noise?

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I'd go Bose...I heard the Dr Dre ones aren't built very well...my friend worked at apple and said that he saw a bunch get returned...the cables kept coming out of the headphones

Probably because they are detachable.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I have the Sennheiser Hd 280 mentioned earlier in the thread. A little bulky, but if that isn't a concern they sound great and you can usually find a good deal on them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron