NO RESPECT - I want the season now!

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Guys if you're outside looking in at ISU, you're seeing a really young team with a new quarterback and the loss of of some key defensive players(Ace Bowen). I can't blame them(I don't agree with them!:skeptical:)

Totally agree. From the "on paper" standpoint, we look pretty bad. But I really don't expect us to be as bad as we look on paper right now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If you look at just the surface, which is apparently all the guys with these preseason pubs do, you see a team coming off a 3-9 season losing NFL draftees in Bowen and Rubin on defense and on offense losing Meyer and Blythe - two guys that own virtually all the passing and receiving records. Plus, take into consideration some of those losses - UNI, Kent State, and Toledo, as well as the drubbings we took against Texas Tech and Texas. That, and Chizik is only in year two of what people think is an overhaul that is expected to take years (if it can ever be done by someone not named McCarney) - Does not look good.

If you decide to dig a little bit deeper than just the surface, you find that although the Bowen and Rubin losses are killer, you've guy guys like Smith and Raven waiting in the wings, plus two defensive ends that are going to pose problems for offenses. If the front 7 is even serviceable, the secondary is plenty good enough to be able to do their job, and the defense could end up being better than expected. As far as Meyer and Blythe are concerned, most everyone here already knows that my opinion of those two are "addition by subtraction" as Meyer's QB abilities were ruined by a previous coaching staff and Blythe took more than a few plays off with his lack of effort, and on other plays was going to have to outjump the secondary as it was common knowledge he wasn't going to blaze by anyone running an impressive route. Any records those two held are due to the fact both played since they were freshmen, and just with the history of ISU football that fact alone will leave you holding records upon graduation. Doesn't make them great players on a national level - just makes them record holders of a really shaky history. Honestly, I think we'll be BETTER with both Meyer and Blythe gone. That, and if you take a look how we played 4 of the last 5 weeks of the season last year (drop that Kansas game) - we outright hung with BCS-bound Oklahoma and BCS-ripped-off Mizzou, and we beat Colorado and K-State, two teams that everyone seems to think we don't have a chance of winning this season. That, and Chizik was already "righting the ship" using players that aren't exactly ideal for his system. He's had Shep murdering his players in the weight room all offseason, and now they're beginning to look like beasts. I think if you look beyond the surface, I think there's reason to be optimistic with this team. Granted, we're not going to go out and compete for the division crown this year, and I'm not even saying we're going to make a bowl game this year. But there's no reason why we can't at least think about 6 wins this year, and there's no way in hell we're not at least a top 70 team this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingcy

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
...As far as Meyer and Blythe are concerned, most everyone here already knows that my opinion of those two are "addition by subtraction"... ...Honestly, I think we'll be BETTER with both Meyer and Blythe gone.

Adam Shada graduating = Addition by subtraction

Brett Meyer and Todd Blythe graduating = BIG LOSS

Meyer and Blythe were 2 of the best ISU has ever seen at those positions and their records back that up. You're kidding yourself if you think losing Meyer and Blythe is a good thing.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Meyer and Blythe were 2 of the best ISU has ever seen at those positions and their records back that up. You're kidding yourself if you think losing Meyer and Blythe is a good thing.

we are not kidding ourselves....it is apparent you didn't see both play last year...or you are blind.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Apparently you don't watch much Iowa State games, where Meyer wasn't capable of reading more than 1/3 of the field at a time, and more often than not was just waiting in the pocket for a defensive lineman/linebacker to come back there and sack him. As far as Blythe, the guy really hasn't done much to impress since the Kent State game in 2006. And the only reason why those guys hold the records is because they've been playing since they were freshmen - not because they did anything spectacular in their junior or senior seasons. Will they be missed? Blythe's ability to catch a jump ball in the endzone may be missed, but his "blazing speed," "crisp, clean route running," and "overall effort" will not be missed. Meyer certainly will not be missed, as whoever wins the QB battle between Arnaud and Bates will be an instant upgrade - in talent, ability, and confidence.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Apparently you don't watch much Iowa State games, where Meyer wasn't capable of reading more than 1/3 of the field at a time, and more often than not was just waiting in the pocket for a defensive lineman/linebacker to come back there and sack him. As far as Blythe, the guy really hasn't done much to impress since the Kent State game in 2006. And the only reason why those guys hold the records is because they've been playing since they were freshmen - not because they did anything spectacular in their junior or senior seasons. Will they be missed? Blythe's ability to catch a jump ball in the endzone may be missed, but his "blazing speed," "crisp, clean route running," and "overall effort" will not be missed. Meyer certainly will not be missed, as whoever wins the QB battle between Arnaud and Bates will be an instant upgrade - in talent, ability, and confidence.

Well, you guys have definitely watched more ISU football than me so I'll have to take your word for it.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

The only Blythe record worth noting is his aptitude with the lady-folk. :yes:

All others pale.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
hard to get respect when you go 3-9 and the year before that you were 4-8. Gotta win to get some respect when you have a program like ours that has been the doormat of the conference many years.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Losing Blythe is definitely a bad thing, especially with the questions at WR this year. Meyer... I loved the kid and I think he's a great guy. If he was one of the best ISU has ever seen at the position he probably would be on an NFL roster right now like 2 other Cyclone alums who are on NFL rosters as QB's.

Arnaud had the same QB rating as Meyer last year. Meyer's QB ratings the last 3 years:

2005: 139
2006: 118
2007: 109 (worst in the Big 12)

If we're unable to replace the statistically worst QB in the Big 12 then we have bigger problems than I could have possibly imagined.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
If you look at just the surface, which is apparently all the guys with these preseason pubs do, you see a team coming off a 3-9 season losing NFL draftees in Bowen and Rubin on defense and on offense losing Meyer and Blythe - two guys that own virtually all the passing and receiving records. Plus, take into consideration some of those losses - UNI, Kent State, and Toledo, as well as the drubbings we took against Texas Tech and Texas. That, and Chizik is only in year two of what people think is an overhaul that is expected to take years (if it can ever be done by someone not named McCarney) - Does not look good.

If you decide to dig a little bit deeper than just the surface, you find that although the Bowen and Rubin losses are killer, you've guy guys like Smith and Raven waiting in the wings, plus two defensive ends that are going to pose problems for offenses. If the front 7 is even serviceable, the secondary is plenty good enough to be able to do their job, and the defense could end up being better than expected. As far as Meyer and Blythe are concerned, most everyone here already knows that my opinion of those two are "addition by subtraction" as Meyer's QB abilities were ruined by a previous coaching staff and Blythe took more than a few plays off with his lack of effort, and on other plays was going to have to outjump the secondary as it was common knowledge he wasn't going to blaze by anyone running an impressive route. Any records those two held are due to the fact both played since they were freshmen, and just with the history of ISU football that fact alone will leave you holding records upon graduation. Doesn't make them great players on a national level - just makes them record holders of a really shaky history. Honestly, I think we'll be BETTER with both Meyer and Blythe gone. That, and if you take a look how we played 4 of the last 5 weeks of the season last year (drop that Kansas game) - we outright hung with BCS-bound Oklahoma and BCS-ripped-off Mizzou, and we beat Colorado and K-State, two teams that everyone seems to think we don't have a chance of winning this season. That, and Chizik was already "righting the ship" using players that aren't exactly ideal for his system. He's had Shep murdering his players in the weight room all offseason, and now they're beginning to look like beasts. I think if you look beyond the surface, I think there's reason to be optimistic with this team. Granted, we're not going to go out and compete for the division crown this year, and I'm not even saying we're going to make a bowl game this year. But there's no reason why we can't at least think about 6 wins this year, and there's no way in hell we're not at least a top 70 team this year.

Dang... everytime I read a post in this thread that I feel I need to respond to, I read a little further and jdogg is already on it.

Well done. Continuous ditto. Carry on....

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
The last time I remember the media getting all Jazzed for ISU was 2006. They're probably waiting for us to do something before they jump back on board.

This is also a big thing. Every time the media has been high on ISU we've laid an egg.

Until ISU strings together a couple of good years and a breakout year no one will be high on us in the preseason.

As for Meyer and Blythe, I agree, addition by subtraction. The confidence that Bates alone brings to the table is enough to make me forget about Meyer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is also a big thing. Every time the media has been high on ISU we've laid an egg.

Until ISU strings together a couple of good years and a breakout year no one will be high on us in the preseason.

As for Meyer and Blythe, I agree, addition by subtraction. The confidence that Bates alone brings to the table is enough to make me forget about Meyer.

Not quite true - the media expected big things of us back in 2000 and methinks we delivered on that one. Since then? Not so much

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron