No QB quandary will make this camp less chaotic

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
SJ and JB needed the QB competition because neither of them really stepped up and took the job. That was seen in the regular season with their inconsistency from week to week and losing the job back and forth.

I think Sam is well ahead of either of these guys as far as a starting point. He has a good mix of talent and command of the offense, whereas the previous QBs were inconsistent in one way or the other.

Sam was solid for the most part last season. I think he deserves a pass on the bowl game as he was reportedly ill and his offensive line got absolutely whipped at the line of scrimmage. Now his numbers looked pretty solid overall...

46-79 / 541 yards / 8 TD's / 1 INT / 58.2% completions
41 carries / 233 yards / 5.7 ypc / 1 TD

Those are very solid numbers for a kid stepping onto the field in college for the first time. I am sure the offense was a little foggy for him, the reads on throws were a bit uncomfortable, his excitement level had to have been through the roof, and I am sure (I doubt he would admit it) he was being a little "safe" with his throws and not taking many chances so he would avoid making the big mistake. Now those are just assumptions and maybe that wasn't the case but I promise you if I was in his shoes that would be exactly the case. His grasp of the offense is only getting stronger, the reads are going to get easier, and as his comfort level grows that tendency to play safe is going to go away. I don't expect him to put up ridiculous numbers but I do think his production is going to see a fairly big jump up this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm just amazed/amused at the number of people that think since there isn't a "QB competition" - we will be in a bad spot or caught with our pants down.

It's not like the guys behind Sam aren't getting reps. I mean, c'mon.

Looking at other programs and the past here when there was a solid QB competition - the quality of the offense seems far less when there isn't a clear starter. Our worst season in the last decade was '03 when we couldn't pick a QB. Turmoil at that position just isn't good for the program.

Competition is always good and I guarantee you they are competing. It's just nowhere like last season when no one knew who would play QB before the season and even week to week.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm just amazed/amused at the number of people that think since there isn't a "QB competition" - we will be in a bad spot or caught with our pants down.

Looking at other programs and the past here when there was a solid QB competition - the quality of the offense seems far less when there isn't a clear starter. Our worst season in the last decade was '03 when we couldn't pick a QB. Turmoil at that position just isn't good for the program.

Competition is always good and I guarantee you they are competing. It's just nowhere like last season when no one knew who would play QB before the season and even week to week.

I get what you are saying and agree that more reps as the 1 can only help but you and several other posters seem to imply that there is a causual relationship between a QB competition and the level of play. We could also entertain the possibility that the lack of having a servicable QB that resulted in the competition in the first place was the reason for the lackluster performance during the games.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I get what you are saying and agree that more reps as the 1 can only help but you and several other posters seem to imply that there is a causual relationship between a QB competition and the level of play. We could also entertain the possibility that the lack of having a servicable QB that resulted in the competition in the first place was the reason for the lackluster performance during the games.
You are generally saying the same thing I am. In most cases - if you have 2 QBs, you have none. Having QB completions almost always reflects average or slightly above average talent.

Continuity are so important in this game. QB being such a leader in the program and being unsettled there has a big domino impact on the team.

That alone not being unsettled will be huge for this offense.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

I don't see a "number of people" on this thread that think that. Assuming that you are referring to my posts, that is a gross generalization of what I was saying. We don't have a "QB controversy"...that's great, don't want that...but we supposedly have two "good" QB's that are real close to each other. I was merely pointing out that given how close the two are, I would prefer our backup QB have more than garbage time this year. Everyone just seems to assume without the "QB controversy" tag line, that it means Sam will never leave the game.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I don't see a "number of people" on this thread that think that. Assuming that you are referring to my posts, that is a gross generalization of what I was saying. We don't have a "QB controversy"...that's great, don't want that...but we supposedly have two "good" QB's that are real close to each other. I was merely pointing out that given how close the two are, I would prefer our backup QB have more than garbage time this year. Everyone just seems to assume without the "QB controversy" tag line, that it means Sam will never leave the game.

I don't necessarily disagree with your comments but I think the hope is that if Sam plays to his potential he will be playing good enough that CPR won't have to consider pulling him out of the game unless we are taking the opponent behind the woodshed and kicking their ***.

Having continuity on offense is something that ISU has not had the luxury of for several years now and a lack of consistent play at the QB position is the reason for that. Jantz played great in the Baylor game but was mediocre to poor in his other starts. JB played solid against TCU but was mediocre to poor in his other starts. Sam was lights out against KU and played solid against West Virginia in difficult conditions. I think he deserves a free pass for the bowl game under the circumstances of his illness. Having 3 different QB's start in 1 season is not a sign that QB play was a source of strength for ISU last year.

For ISU to have the success on the field we all want them to have they need consistency at QB so the offense can sustain some momentum. Each time they pulled a switch at QB it was like watching the offense start from scratch again. This idea of playing multiple QB's to get a kid experience prior to garbage time is what coaches do when the season is in the dump. It isn't what coaches do when they are competitive and trying to win football games. QB competitions are for spring practice, getting a young kid experience is what practice and scrimmages are for, and fall is for playing the kids that are going to win you football games.

Reactions: CykoAGR

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess what I was also saying is that the converse is also true - not having a QB competition does not necessarily mean that you will be set at QB. It could mean that you have a subpar QB and a bunch of terrible ones. To be clear, I don't think that is the case here.

I also should have clarified that my comment was directed more at those that seemed to be implying that if the coaches had just picked one and stuck with him even when he struggled that everything would have been just fine - that most of the QB problems were simply because the coaches couldn't make a decision. A competition may not be great for a QB's confidence but the lack of one is not going to turn an inadequate or inconsistent QB into a quality D1 QB.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Then I guess Northwestern's Coach P. Fitzgerald is a "crazy guy". He has used (over the past 4 years) a two quarterback rotation that has driven opposing teams in the Big Ten nuts. He situationally uses Kain Colter (running QB) and Trevor Siemian (passing QB) all the time. I have certainly not watched alot of NW's games; but, the ones that I have watched, NW's offense runs smoothly (whoever is QBing).
Drove nebby up the wall in the past...especially last year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't give Sam a pass for being sick during the bowl game. Go back and watch the replay and try to find something that indicates that he is sick. It didn't keep him from making a bunch of good plays. I think the problem was more with the line and the gameplan. We weren't as bad in that game as I thought before watching the replay. And I don't think Sam was as bad as all the talk about being sick makes it sound.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Um, no. Backups play garbage time frequently. We just don't have much garbage time. That's good (not getting blown out) and bad (not blowing teams out).

Who plays garbage time has nothing to do with QB battle. Unrelated.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
My Opinion is that we stick with one guy until he loses the job or the other guy does enough to come take it from him.

If GR want meaningful game time then I think he has this upcoming camp and 12 game weeks and the additional bye weeks to take it from Sam. If he cant do it in practice then I guess he will have to live with that.

I dont get the mindset that "what if our backup is better?" I mean they run the same drills and the same plays in practice. Hell I bet even a certian number of the reps with the #1 Offense goes to the back-up. Earn it there. I guess I for one am perfectly fine "not knowing" what GR can do in real game scenario's as long as Sammy is doing OK.

If Sam takes every single meaningful snap this year I will be elated. That will mean #1 he is and has been healthy all year #2 He hasnt struggled (or at least not enough to make the staff think that someone esle gives them a better shot to win).

Im perfectly fine with either of these guys leading ISU. For God's sake pick one and stick with him, if you need to make a switch midway through the season then IMO be confident enough to turn over the team to him for the rest of the year for better or for worse.

(drops mic and exits stage left)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I don't give Sam a pass for being sick during the bowl game. Go back and watch the replay and try to find something that indicates that he is sick. It didn't keep him from making a bunch of good plays. I think the problem was more with the line and the gameplan. We weren't as bad in that game as I thought before watching the replay. And I don't think Sam was as bad as all the talk about being sick makes it sound.

I do. The reason being he played pretty well against West Virginia in challenging conditions and he was running for his life most of the game because the line play was pretty poor. It certainly didn't look like he had the same kind of giddy up in the bowl game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I do. The reason being he played pretty well against West Virginia in challenging conditions and he was running for his life most of the game because the line play was pretty poor. It certainly didn't look like he had the same kind of giddy up in the bowl game.

Well, he looked like he had some fine "giddy up" when he ran for the 34 yard gain in the 2nd Q! Yes, I know that he came out after the play, but I don't remember anyone saying that they thought it was because he was sick. And he came right back in.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Well, he looked like he had some fine "giddy up" when he ran for the 34 yard game in the 2nd Q! Yes, I know that he came out after the play, but I don't remember anyone saying that they thought it was because he was sick. And he came right back in.

I thought he got a concussion on that play when I saw it live.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Well, he looked like he had some fine "giddy up" when he ran for the 34 yard game in the 2nd Q! Yes, I know that he came out after the play, but I don't remember anyone saying that they thought it was because he was sick. And he came right back in.

Well... he ran for 12 yards on his other 9 carries. For the season he was averaging 5.7 yards per carry. That is a pretty significant dip in yards per carry if you ask me. He also had his fewest pass attempts in a game, fewest completions, fewest passing yards, his only turnover, his lowest QB rating, etc... Something was off...

After going 6 for 7 for 114 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter, Richardson was 4 of 14 for 15 yards with an interception the rest of the day while battling flu-like symptoms. Jantz replaced Richardson early in the fourth quarter.
"You can't ask much more from a young player like Sam," said Iowa State linebacker A.J. Klein, who tied a Liberty Bowl record with 19 tackles. "He's going to have a great career the rest of his time here at Iowa State. That's the type of people we want to build this program around, people that will give it up, no matter what condition they're in."

Last edited:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Im perfectly fine with either of these guys leading ISU. For God's sake pick one and stick with him, if you need to make a switch midway through the season then IMO be confident enough to turn over the team to him for the rest of the year for better or for worse.

(drops mic and exits stage left)

This. The entire concept of playing musical chairs with 2 QB's and "riding the hot hand" means that from week to week the coaching staff has ZERO confidence in either guy.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well... he ran for 12 yards on his other 9 carries. For the season he was averaging 5.7 yards per carry. That is a pretty significant dip in yards per carry if you ask me. He also had his fewest pass attempts in a game, fewest completions, fewest passing yards, his only turnover, his lowest QB rating, etc... Something was off...

After going 6 for 7 for 114 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter, Richardson was 4 of 14 for 15 yards with an interception the rest of the day while battling flu-like symptoms. Jantz replaced Richardson early in the fourth quarter.
"You can't ask much more from a young player like Sam," said Iowa State linebacker A.J. Klein, who tied a Liberty Bowl record with 19 tackles. "He's going to have a great career the rest of his time here at Iowa State. That's the type of people we want to build this program around, people that will give it up, no matter what condition they're in."

No doubt, he was tough and to be commended for fighting as hard as he could. However, there is another explanation for his poor performance, namely Tulsa beat us on the line and our game plan didn't seem to be adjusted properly.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
No doubt, he was tough and to be commended for fighting as hard as he could. However, there is another explanation for his poor performance, namely Tulsa beat us on the line and our game plan didn't seem to be adjusted properly.

Tough to do anything when your OL is a sieve.

Help Support Us

Become a patron