No love for Courtney Messingham

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
These guys lay it to him, probably rightfully so. They quote ISU fans on our glee that he is no longer connected to our program.

1607021211568.png
1607021234139.png

Reactions: khardbored

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
31 points were enough to beat Baylor. The problem was the defense just wore out the second half due to Covide-related depth issues.

Offensive coordinators make for easy whipping boys because they shield popular head coaches from the wrath of fans who have to attack someone. It's that way at every school where the head man is popular, i.e. not Texas.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
K-State is on to his underachievement. I hope they get distracted and keep him around a while.

Oh surly you brought the perfect example:
31 points were enough to beat Baylor. The problem was the defense just wore out the second half due to Covide-related depth issues.

Offensive coordinators make for easy whipping boys because they shield popular head coaches from the wrath of fans who have to attack someone. It's that way at every school where the head man is popular, i.e. not Texas.
Hint: Messingham is terrible. Your HC is probably a good fit there.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think Messingham was/is a Big12 quality OC, but let's also not take too much of what ISU fans think as being gospel on this. There was a good portion of the fan that thought Herman was great here and Messingham was terrible when their production was very similar.

Reactions: DarkStar and surly

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They had some stuff going off the edge Saturday and on the drive where they just needed to move the ball he went three and out with what looked like a dive and a short route.

But also agree that he doesn't have much to work with and KSU's defense was also awful.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I don't think Messingham was/is a Big12 quality OC, but let's also not take too much of what ISU fans think as being gospel on this. There was a good portion of the fan that thought Herman was great here and Messingham was terrible when their production was very similar.

There was a good portion of the fans that thought CMC was terrible after the Louisiana game, and many times during games this year. I take it as they are stupid and don’t know anything

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

but tom is mensa so he is so smart

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Haha, emaw nation will fall right back in love with him when they beat Texas this weekend.

Reactions: surly

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Not defending the guy either, but that Baylor loss wasn’t on him. KSUs defense was being gashed all throughout that second half.
AND the refs did NOT do them any favors on some very KEY moments in the game. That last "overturn" was ridiculous because of how much time they spent reviewing it. If it is that hard to figure out - the call on the field should have stood -- game over!

Reactions: surly

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Surprising the amount drop off from Thompson to the backup for KSU. The ISU backup has not played enough to know what he would do under fire, but based on what we have seen, I would take him over Howard. Decent arm and he can run if he has to.

I didn't like Messingham when he was at ISU, as I thought he could have put players in better position to make plays, and he tended to throw players under the bus when things fell apart. Not even scoring against ISU reserves was pretty embarrassing. (and FUN)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok, we have bias around here towards the Mess but he’s not a rock star P5 OC. Him failing is just not any kind of surprise. There’s plenty of evidence.