No Lard or Lewis for exhibition Sunday

ProhmDate

Aug 29, 2015
Ames
No “team” sport can function smoothly and effectively without ground rules. It is critical to clearly establish the rules up front. When individuals violate those rules they are in effect demonstrating disrespect for themselves, the team and the coach. So, once this issue is behind us, we should be able to move forward and play as an effective team with a unified will to win.

• Winner
Reactions: Seedman

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I watched Emporia State play Kansas State tonight. Emporia State is NOT a decent Div II team.The Clones will be able to do about anything they want. The game will be little more than a practice session. Lard nor Lewis will be missed in the slightest.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I watched Emporia State play Kansas State tonight. Emporia State is NOT a decent Div II team.The Clones will be able to do about anything they want. The game will be little more than a practice session. Lard nor Lewis will be missed in the slightest.
CUE THE PANIC. WE WON'T BE READY FOR MISSERY.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This team lost a lot of basketball talent from last year obviously. That talent can be replaced, and I think CSP is well on his way to doing that with his recruiting.

Also lost though was a lot of team leadership. It is going to take time to find guys to replace what Monte, Naz, Matt and Deonte brought in terms of setting an example for the other players. Someone has to step up soon. Hopefully, that will be Donovan, Nick, and/or Solomon. Maybe Wigginton will provide some leadership for the freshmen. It's a young team. Unfortunately, it will take some time.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think Jackson and Weiller-Babb can do leadership role adequately. Of course, if we're comparing it to last season, you can't match having a 5th-year veteran and two 4-year leaders. (Also, Brase probably has the maturity and experience to augment).

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I think Jackson and Weiller-Babb can do leadership role adequately. Of course, if we're comparing it to last season, you can't match having a 5th-year veteran and two 4-year leaders. (Also, Brase probably has the maturity and experience to augment).

Don't under estimate Brase. If healthy, he's a real difference maker. Especially in a leadership role.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really like what Prohm has done from a discipline standpoint. I don't think any of these offenses have been a big deal thus far, but really like that Prohm is laying down the law early on. I think if Hoiberg was the coach, you'd see Lard and Lewis playing tomorrow.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I really like what Prohm has done from a discipline standpoint. I don't think any of these offenses have been a big deal thus far, but really like that Prohm is laying down the law early on. I think if Hoiberg was the coach, you'd see Lard and Lewis playing tomorrow.

And everything would still work out just fine in building the team.
Discipline is nice, but this one is a big "whatever." Nobody's learning some big lesson from sitting out an exhibition game, and nobody would have been coddled if they were allowed to play.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Details matter. Where have we heard this before? I like that fact that both our basketball and football staffs want their players to be great representatives of ISU. Also these are life lessons, show up on time...do your job.

Exactly. I love how Prohm said in his interview something to the affect that it's an honor and a privilege to play for Iowa State in Hilton Coliseum and he doesn't take it lightly. If you don't live up to the strict rules Prohm has in place, you don't play.

To say that doesn't mean anything and doesn't send a message is nonsense IMO. It sounds a LOT like what Campbell preaches too. I like it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
They were probably caught up in their studies and forgot about practice. Lard is going to have quite the introduction to CBB against the Porter bros.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Don't under estimate Brase. If healthy, he's a real difference maker. Especially in a leadership role.
I saw Brase play a couple times at Princeton. Nice stroke and active around the lane with a decent jump hook, as I recall (no Georges, mind you). He's a big X factor; I do think he can be a leader but you sort of have to earn that on the court and we don't know where he is physically. He could end up being a good "get" for ISU.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They were probably caught up in their studies and forgot about practice. Lard is going to have quite the introduction to CBB against the Porter bros.

You're not intimating that Prohm should be playing Lard tomorrow so that he can be better prepared for Misery though, right?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I saw Brase play a couple times at Princeton. Nice stroke and active around the lane with a decent jump hook, as I recall (no Georges, mind you). He's a big X factor; I do think he can be a leader but you sort of have to earn that on the court and we don't know where he is physically. He could end up being a good "get" for ISU.

I agree. I think a healthy Brase might be the key to this season. This team needs some perimeter shooters to help open up the lane and stop defenses from just packing it in on us. Donovan is the only proven perimeter shooter we have basically. Brase can also hit the 3 too, which would help a lot. And it also sounds like Beverly is able to hit them too, which is a big bonus because he hadn't really shown that before coming here.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You're not intimating that Prohm should be playing Lard tomorrow so that he can be better prepared for Misery though, right?

Sounds like the idea really bothers you.
Emporia State ain't no Porter brothers, but game reps would be a more practical help than sitting.
You can run some laps for being late, gain a smidge of conditioning, and learn the same lesson.

It won't matter much anyway, but the breathless enthusiasm for sitting out is a bit much. There are scores of ways to reach people.This is Prohm's, and that's fine. It'll work. Fred's would have worked just as well, and life will go on.

• Dislike
Reactions: ILikeCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sounds like the idea really bothers you.
Emporia State ain't no Porter brothers, but game reps would be a more practical help than sitting.
You can run some laps for being late, gain a smidge of conditioning, and learn the same lesson.

It won't matter much anyway, but the breathless enthusiasm for sitting out is a bit much. There are scores of ways to reach people.This is Prohm's, and that's fine. It'll work. Fred's would have worked just as well, and life will go on.

So you like the KF approach to discipline, huh? "We'll handle it internally".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron