NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I wonder if the recent positive news on vaccines by the end of the year will reinvigorate discussion on a spring season possibility among NCAA decision makers.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
One complication is the Big 12 non-con schedule is big for selling ESPN+ subscriptions. I'm guessing financially the Big 12 has more on the line with the non-con schedule with this supposed to be the year for the full roll out of Big 12 Now.
Did not think about that stupid network stuff...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The governor here, Minnesota, just mandated masks for public indoor spaces. My city beat him to the punch by half a day by voting one in for the city at night. Minnesota is not currently trending too badly for risk, 9 cases per 100k rolling average, but this certainly won't hurt.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The governor here, Minnesota, just mandated masks for public indoor spaces. My city beat him to the punch by half a day by voting one in for the city at night. Minnesota is not currently trending too badly for risk, 9 cases per 100k rolling average, but this certainly won't hurt.
Nice to see action before things get too bad.

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I appreciate people like you.

Now when students ask me (middle school science), "Why do we have to learn _____?"

I can respond with "remember how half the us population did not understand how science works, and because of their inability to reason, they prolonged a pandemic and caused hundreds of thousands of needless deaths? That's why we learn science. So that you know how to make informed decisions based on facts, and not grow up to be a selfish tool."

You know, I was going to give you props on what a nice thing to say with your beginning statement.....then I read on and realized you are just looking down your nose, like maybe I'm one of your students. Thankfully not, and all I can say if that's the best explanation you can give on a fill in the blank question to your middle school age science class....maybe you need to find another line of work. Because the subject was masks, and another time they were used in mass to try and mitigate was in 1916-1918 with this thing called the Spanish Flu. Have them look up the numbers on that. Not on the internet. In these things called books. Then go back and try to use that same canned explanation of yours with those middle school kids. Because there is no "science" backing masks up now.........just like there wasn't back then.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
This will interesting as the NCAA can't make the call on Div 1 football...that is decided by the Div 1 school presidents. The Div 2 teams here in Nebraska are already planning on some sort of hybrid season where the final games are played in the spring.

I would fully support football in the spring, I think it is the only chance we have to be in the stadium.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
You know, I was going to give you props on what a nice thing to say with your beginning statement.....then I read on and realized you are just looking down your nose, like maybe I'm one of your students. Thankfully not, and all I can say if that's the best explanation you can give on a fill in the blank question to your middle school age science class....maybe you need to find another line of work. Because the subject was masks, and another time they were used in mass to try and mitigate was in 1916-1918 with this thing called the Spanish Flu. Have them look up the numbers on that. Not on the internet. In these things called books. Then go back and try to use that same canned explanation of yours with those middle school kids. Because there is no "science" backing masks up now.........just like there wasn't back then.

Yes, the lack of simple sanitation and the what could really be considered primitive medicine of the time had nothing to do with the mortality rate of the Spanish Flu.

Congrats though, people like you keep lowering my expectations of the simple ability to think in a huge number of my fellow citizens.

And this is the dumbest thing I have read in a while, seriously. On the internet or in one of those things called books.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I would fully support football in the spring, I think it is the only chance we have to be in the stadium.
1,000,000 new cases in last 15 Days in US. Plus, a new record for number of hospitalizations. I just fail to see how we can play football under these conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macloney

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the NCAA has been pretty clear the past week - no games will be played unless or until cases are considerably lower than they are right now. That indicates we are decently above their comfort zone and the trend line has to bend sharply to hope for any fall football.

Assuming (devils advocate) people have really started wearing masks the past week or two that things have been bad, that means the trend line could start leveling and going back down in another week. That’s a big if in many places.

If we get to August 1st and new daily cases aren’t starting to go below 65k and below 60K by August 5th, I think the season gets delayed indefinitely (hope for spring realizing it isn’t likely).

The big issue is that when colleges get in gear in late August, there is likely to be another surge of cases by the 2nd week of September.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...ntists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why

I'll admit, my comment was dickish. But so is being so self centered about something that HAS been scientifically proven to slow the spread of a deadly virus, that I guess I just don't care.

We are literally watching the scientific process in action, and watching half the country ignore it for selfish reasons. I think this is absolutely a perfect teaching opportunity for my students about how it is important to always ask questions and use facts.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The big issue is that when colleges get in gear in late August, there is likely to be another surge of cases by the 2nd week of September.
Unfortunately, college campuses have a good chance of being more like packing plants when it comes to covid.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If you really want to protect yourself ditch the useless masks. You need a Faraday Cage. Or just avoid the large population centers. This may very well include lots of football stadiums, because the danger is radiation. Speaking of Science, give this paper a quick read. And yes, I realize it's already been rescinded (shocking :rolleyes:). This was peer reviewed and published.

Edit. Hmm that published the whole thing. Had to go directly to the author site to find this.

https://dans-ai.ch/2020/07/24/die-u...rahlung-kann-corona-erkrankungen-verursachen/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron