NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Try to schedule spring football at least that offers hope.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Only the SEC will have large amounts of fans at games. They're saying 50%

I'm thinking other conferences will be at 0 or at a smaller percentage than that

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are you saying given the same amount of time, less observed cases would lead to faster and more effective therapeutic treatments? That's an interesting take.
An overwhelmed healthcare system has little time to ponder different approaches and try different things. One that is smoothly operating well below capacity does.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Makes you wonder about the production and distribution of a vaccine if/when one is developed, doesn't it?

From what I understand some companies are already producing, basically assuming it gets approved through the phase 3 trials so some will be ready to go immediately to the most needy.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
An overwhelmed healthcare system has little time to ponder different approaches and try different things. One that is smoothly operating well below capacity does.

It has definitely focused the world in terms of expertise and money.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Yep and what happens when x % are positive at the start or every week? What are Purdue students and parents prepared to live with?

They stay in. Don't go around elderly folk. Its two weeks or so. We can do it. The kids will be fine. And they know the risks going in, this is no surprise, so if someone cannot handle this then take a semester off.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They stay in. Don't go around elderly folk. Its two weeks or so. We can do it. The kids will be fine. And they know the risks going in, this is no surprise, so if someone cannot handle this then take a semester off.

Are we assuming we're disciplined enough as a society to be able to follow this?

You'd think this would be common sense but man alive people can be stupid.

Positive would be that if someone's at college, perhaps they're naturally or forced to not be able to be around vulnerable people.

I guess I don't know how colleges operate now but is it pretty easy for a prof to webcam it for class/lecture?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Are we assuming we're disciplined enough as a society to be able to follow this?

You'd think this would be common sense but man alive people can be stupid.

Positive would be that if someone's at college, perhaps they're naturally or forced to not be able to be around vulnerable people.

I guess I don't know how colleges operate now but is it pretty easy for a prof to webcam it for class/lecture?
It is very easy for a lot of them, but there are still some professors that might be a few legs back as far as technology goes.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

I work in AV and it is difficult to tie-in a webcam into a classroom setting. There is an issue with AEC (acoustic echo cancellation) that needs to be setup so that way the students on the far-end don't get picked up on the mics in the room and hear themselves back on the conference. This wasn't an issue as professors were hosting lectures from their homes, but the return to campus is going to make this problematic.

Edit: this is not the case for Iowa, as their classrooms have in-room computers that have been configured correctly. Iowa State operates on a BYOD (bring your own device) basis, which further complicates the matter as one instructor could have a MAC and the next instructor in the same space uses an Dell, and the following instructor uses an IPad, and so on.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
In better news, Iowa has moved into the category of declining cases (two-week moving average) per John Hopkins.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/iowa

That's not what Iowa's own data shows. We've been steadily increasing in cases the last few weeks and hospitalizations/ICU usage has started inching back up in the last week or so.

5ZErIY8.png

ATPUGhd.png

Reactions: Jer

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I'm getting ready to cancel my ESPN+ subscription because I do not think there will be any games to broadcast. Even though I understand why the games will not be played, it sure makes it difficult for an old retired fart to keep himself occupied once the golf courses close for the season.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Zero chance there is no football. I can't imagine what this would do to schools around the country, especially ISU.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The entire 2020-21 college sports season is eff'd. No doubt in my mind now. There's just no way it can be done. Kids aren't even back on campus yet. The whole house of cards is gonna come crashing down by end of July.
Sadly, I agree. I’m really going to miss sports through the fall and winter. At the outset, it seemed like maybe we’d get games sans fans, but we’re nowhere close to having this situation under control and it’s only getting worse. There simply aren’t enough resources available - mainly in testing capacity - in order to make it reasonably safe for the players, staff, etc. We need every bit of testing capacity right now just to try to keep the rest of the economy functioning.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Zero chance there is no football. I can't imagine what this would do to schools around the country, especially ISU.

Someone was on here in one thread with a source from the A.D. saying ISU would be able to handle a season with no football.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I think there will be football, but with no outside fans. Maybe it will be just students watching the games. Going to games every weekend with my boys is my favorite thing in life. But this year I think I am ok if I watch on TV.

Of course in the most ISU thing ever, we will all be watching it on TV and they will go 10-3 and we won't get to see it live.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
That's not what Iowa's own data shows. We've been steadily increasing in cases the last few weeks and hospitalizations/ICU usage has started inching back up in the last week or so.

5ZErIY8.png

ATPUGhd.png

John Hopkins data is based on Iowa data and is the metric outlets like CNN use to determine which states are in decline and which states are increasing. Obviously they are using a bit different time scales.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think there will be football, but with no outside fans. Maybe it will be just students watching the games......

Would love to hear from Pollard on how long he can wait before making this decision.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
John Hopkins data is based on Iowa data and is the metric outlets like CNN use to determine which states are in decline and which states are increasing. Obviously they are using a bit different time scales.

Iowa average new cases per day:

Three weeks ago: 262
Two weeks ago: 306
Last week: 416
This week: 444

Help Support Us

Become a patron