NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'll go with the Captain Obvious take that in about two weeks it's all called off. Usually right now we're getting to three weeks from fall camps starting.

I was thinking it would follow what the SEC wanted but even one conference shutting down will influence others, and pretty soon everyone's schedule is jacked up.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
I can already picture this board if Purdy tested positive for the Rona A few days before South Dakota and was out two weeks and we go 0-2 our first two games.

The hardcore people that wanted football in the fall would be backtracking so fast lol.

I am a very healthy 30 year old and tested positive for Covid 3 weeks ago. Pretty much fully recovered now. I’m trying to gain back the 9 pounds that I lost during Covid however. Been going to the gym this week and I’m soooo weak now. Literally went down about 25% of the weight that I could put up before Covid. It takes a huge toll on your body. So a player getting it realistically could take a full month to be back to normal. And remember, it affects everyone differently.

All this being said. There isn’t going to be college football in the Fall. I think all of the conferences need to come together and go all in for spring football and hope to heck there is a vaccine by then.

Reactions: Macloney

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll go with the Captain Obvious take that in about two weeks it's all called off. Usually right now we're getting to three weeks from fall camps starting.

I was thinking it would follow what the SEC wanted but even one conference shutting down will influence others, and pretty soon everyone's schedule is jacked up.
I still don't think it will be called off, however I literally know nothing so it very well could end up happening.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I can already picture this board if Purdy tested positive for the Rona A few days before South Dakota and was out two weeks and we go 0-2 our first two games.

The hardcore people that wanted football in the fall would be backtracking so fast lol.

I am a very healthy 30 year old and tested positive for Covid 3 weeks ago. Pretty much fully recovered now. I’m trying to gain back the 9 pounds that I lost during Covid however. Been going to the gym this week and I’m soooo weak now. Literally went down about 25% of the weight that I could put up before Covid. It takes a huge toll on your body. So a player getting it realistically could take a full month to be back to normal. And remember, it affects everyone differently.

All this being said. There isn’t going to be college football in the Fall. I think all of the conferences need to come together and go all in for spring football and hope to heck there is a vaccine by then.
If they move it to the spring, you'd salvage programs and it'd obviously be tremendously better than not having it all together. If we do not have it at all, the Notre Dame bowl game could be the last game Purdy and Kolar will ever play in a Cyclone uniform.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn't expect them to kill off basketball too.

Ivy league athletes should be allowed to transfer without sitting out IMO.

Basketball, due to being indoors, is incredibly likely to be at least no fans.

I could see a shortened no-fan, conference-only season happening. This may suck for some mid majors who will lose chances to prove themselves against the power conferences, but could still preserve a lot of the tv revenue from next year's tournament.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Minnesota had a "lockdown" and I believe 75% of their businesses remained open. Its been a couple months but that was on a Twins Cities news site.

% of businesses /= % of workers

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If there is no college football or college basketball. College athletics as a whole will cease to exist like it did before.

I really doubt that. Everyone will be in the same boat.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I might be way too optimistic but I don’t see what the Ivy League does affecting large scale college football that severely. School is pretty clearly #1 there

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

Ivy Leagye is FCS and I would imagine very low FCS (assumption on my part). I have my doubts they even schedule any power fiver conference members. Could be wrong.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The flu isn't nearly as contagious, so no. Also, I can guarantee masks will be around for quite sometime now and actually will help prevent a lot of things in the future.

So does hand washing! Amazing how many people don't always wash their hands or grab door handles full on and touch their face. I cringe every time I get dragged to a Pizza Ranch buffet. Toughens up the immune system I guess.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I really doubt that. Everyone will be in the same boat.
Right. There are going to be tons of sports, possibly even basketball and football programs that never return from this.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
So even when COVID is over we should all wear one to stop regular flu? If good now why not just keep on going. Flu kills too.
If you are actively sick, you probably should. Most people who are sick just stay home though. Most people with the flu also try to avoid being around old people and young children. I don't believe the flu is spread by pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic people like this coronavirus. The length of time people are contagious with the flu is also much less than this virus.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I might be way too optimistic but I don’t see what the Ivy League does affecting large scale college football that severely. School is pretty clearly #1 there

The big conferences are all going to do the same thing. At some point the ACC or Big 10 will call things off and then everyone else will too.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So does hand washing! Amazing how many people don't always wash their hands or grab door handles full on and touch their face. I cringe every time I get dragged to a Pizza Ranch buffet. Toughens up the immune system I guess.

If I have to wash my hands how am I supposed to stink palm my enemies?

Covid is a small price to pay for the smiting of ones enemies.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have to admit that before this I did not care about those sorts of things as much, however now I'm very conscious of touching my face and touching random things in public.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Right. There are going to be tons of sports, possibly even basketball and football programs that never return from this.

Again, I highly doubt it. I think the more likely thing that will happen is that coaches salaries will plummet. I bet every coach wished they had locked in for 8 years right now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you are actively sick, you probably should. Most people who are sick just stay home though. Most people with the flu also try to avoid being around old people and young children. I don't believe the flu is spread by pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic people like this coronavirus. The length of time people are contagious with the flu is also much less than this virus.

The dumbest thing people did was tell the idiots in this country that COVID was like the flu. While it is somewhat of a respiratory illness like the flu, it really doesn't act like the flu at all.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The big conferences are all going to do the same thing. At some point the ACC or Big 10 will call things off and then everyone else will too.
If one P5 calls everything off, then it'll be done for. The Ivy League calling it off is not going to factor into the big conferences. They're actually saving money by doing this.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Again, I highly doubt it. I think the more likely thing that will happen is that coaches salaries will plummet. I bet every coach wished they had locked in for 8 years right now.
Yeah that could definitely be true.