NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Sports are one of the main things in my life. The other being friends. I have now gone over 3 months without either. We also didn’t do a ton as friends during basketball season because frankly none of us wanted to watch games and that’s a big thing we do together.

I’m planning on hopefully seeing friends next weekend for the first time but we are still trying to limit what we do. If they cancel football I absolutely do not expect basketball. So cancelling football means a year with no sports.

You can also combine those cancellations with a few of the other things I do throughout the year. The fair and 4th of July festivities were cancelled. So the reality is I will be going an entire calendar year where all I do is work frankly. I want to work to live not live to work.

My mental health is stable for now but I don’t know where it would be without anything for the next 9 months. I don’t think your analogy is totally right. I’d say it is closer to taking chemo which has a 50% chance of healing cancer I may not even have.

You're really undermining your argument about sports being super important to the point that mental health concerns override physical health concerns when you admit that you didn't watch basketball because we were bad at it this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's summer.

Find other things to do than sports and festivals. Other things do exist.
You could even play sports. There are sports like tennis, golf, disc golf, skateboarding, swimming, kayaking/canoeing, rollerblading, cycling, running, and rollerskiing that you can participate in and social distance. And those are just some of the summer sports.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That is the problem that so many people are failing to see or don't care enough to see. It's not all about you.

Also, MLB, MLS, NBA and WNBA at the very least are starting play. You may not be able to attend these games at this time but it won't be "a year with no sports".
Its not all about YOU! I don't have issues with mental health in general, but I can see where I might at points during this. I can't imagine how it's going for all of the people in our country with diagnosed depression. It's about finding balance. If we were talking about me specifically I'd say screw this as I'm in one of the categories least likely to die. That isn't what we should do. We need to balance keeping people as healthy as we can, and balance the mental and economic impacts with that. Having pro sports start to come back will be huge. Having stores and places more open has been huge. If we are able to get NCAA football in that will be huge. If we can even have some fans that will be huge as well.

Maybe when we get closer we decide that it is to risky. If we do get to that point then that can be ok. I absolutely don't think there is cause to say we will be at that point for sure right now. Maybe we will, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. The whole point is just because someone wants to do more "normal" stuff than you doesn't mean they want to needlessly kill people. There is no single obviously correct answer. I have confidence in Pollard to use all the information and make a reasoned decision. You or I may not fully agree with it, but I think he will consider the facts and try and make the best decision he can.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Its not all about YOU! I don't have issues with mental health in general, but I can see where I might at points during this. I can't imagine how it's going for all of the people in our country with diagnosed depression. It's about finding balance. If we were talking about me specifically I'd say screw this as I'm in one of the categories least likely to die. That isn't what we should do. We need to balance keeping people as healthy as we can, and balance the mental and economic impacts with that. Having pro sports start to come back will be huge. Having stores and places more open has been huge. If we are able to get NCAA football in that will be huge. If we can even have some fans that will be huge as well.

Maybe when we get closer we decide that it is to risky. If we do get to that point then that can be ok. I absolutely don't think there is cause to say we will be at that point for sure right now. Maybe we will, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. The whole point is just because someone wants to do more "normal" stuff than you doesn't mean they want to needlessly kill people. There is no single obviously correct answer. I have confidence in Pollard to use all the information and make a reasoned decision. You or I may not fully agree with it, but I think he will consider the facts and try and make the best decision he can.
No it isn't. It is about the elderly and vulnerable in our society. I'm glad you are starting to see that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You could even play sports. There are sports like tennis, golf, disc golf, skateboarding, swimming, kayaking/canoeing, rollerblading, cycling, running, and rollerskiing that you can participate in and social distance. And those are just some of the summer sports.

Yep and anyone can run or walk in the fall and winter, and cross country ski, and hike, and camp, and look into other things that can be challenging yet rewarding that include some internal motivation and maybe independent thinking.

This is super heavy stuff but if our usual spoils aren't available, it doesn't mean we have to stay inside.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Why is everyone having a slap fight about whether sports should start up when they clearly are? It's already been decided folks. Move on.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I must be in the very small minority that probably wouldn’t attend a game right now given the current situation, but have zero problem with the people who would. Whether that’s at 50% capacity, 100% capacity, masks required, masks optional, whatever.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why is everyone having a slap fight about whether sports should start up when they clearly are? It's already been decided folks. Move on.

Every decision ever made in the world is final. No evolving situation happening country. No sir.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah this Covid thing has been totally streamlined for decision making and things haven't changed as we've gone along at all.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Yeah this Covid thing has been totally streamlined for decision making and things haven't changed as we've gone along at all.

You can continue to live in a make-believe fantasy world all you want but some sports are already here and MLB, NBA and NHL are coming soon. NCAAF will begin practice soon. It's not like this is even a red-state/blue-state issue. They are coming back across the US.

Some of you are so devoid of reality.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can continue to live in a make-believe fantasy world all you want but some sports are already here and MLB, NBA and NHL are coming soon. NCAAF will begin practice soon. It's not like this is even a red-state/blue-state issue. They are coming back across the US.

You can, and, yes, some of you sure are.

I'm not saying they won't or will happen, but I'm not going to claim it like it's a fact since we're not there yet.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Every decision ever made in the world is final. No evolving situation happening country. No sir.

Yup. Meanwhile, in your Texas state, the Governor just closed the bars. That's a pretty big walk back move for a guy who's approach has been to pass the buck down the line to the counties and cities.

We're in a Texas league, will be interesting to see what happens with Big 12 football outside of the Iowa State fans slappy fight in this thread.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Yup. Meanwhile, in your Texas state, the Governor just closed the bars. That's a pretty big walk back move for a guy who's approach has been to pass the buck down the line to the counties and cities.

We're in a Texas league, will be interesting to see what happens with Big 12 football outside of the Iowa State fans slappy fight in this thread.

Florida just shut bars back down as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Florida just shut bars back down as well.

The customers of these places that will be upset should estimate what they'd spend on a night out and send that money to the business since they apparently had it to spend it.

That would be supporting the business, which is what they'd say they were doing if they were allowed to go...otherwise I guess it's for their own self indulgence?

Reactions: Doc

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

And you might have noticed little things like Principal Park being shut down again due to staff testing positive...various HS baseball teams quarantined for 2 wks because of positive results...

Sports leagues are PLANNING to come back. Whether or not they can do it safely (for the atheletes, the coaching staff, the venue workers, and the fans) remains to be seen.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Making it a law would be interesting, however as you stated, requiring to enter certain places is fine in my opinion. It's their business, or in Iowa State's case, a University where they want everyone, including their own staff members and students, to be safe. If you require a mask, they're not saying you're going to get arrested for being in there without one, they're saying you may not enter and will be asked to leave.

My parents live in south Texas and they instituted a law locally basically right away that it was a 1,000 fine if you didn't have a mask on in a public place.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
View attachment 73006

Here is Florida. In the past couple weeks, testing had been largely consistent (ups and downs) but infections are up 500%. That isn’t just because people are now getting their bowls cleaned out.

Yea, hospitals are having elective things again, but Arizona for instance has shown data for COVID based hospitalizations and they are skyrocketing while non COVID hospitalizations are flat.

We will know more in a couple of weeks. There are different explanations why just cases is a bad number to use.
1. These numbers are probably catching old cases not previously reported.
2. people that come in for other things are tested for covid and since they come to a hospital with covid, they catch it. Some indicate the testing goes on every day they are in the hospital.
3. The effects from the disease could be weakening.
4. Our citizens understand it better and the most vulnerable are staying protected, and there is a lot heavier infection among young people which have very little risk anyway.

Positive cases are up 5X since early June but hospital admission and deaths are no higher than Mid-May. There should have been a correlated spike in all of them.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My parents live in south Texas and they instituted a law locally basically right away that it was a 1,000 fine if you didn't have a mask on in a public place.

How do they define public place? Just inside? Shopping centers? Do they require them at a big park?

Not arguing, just curious as it's just a hard thing to enforce in large spaces vs. resources.

I think shopping centers and stores makes sense but say if I were at a State Park where it's easy to stay away from others imo a mask isn't needed. Maybe good to have with if stopping at an office or restroom.

Help Support Us

Become a patron