NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The big conferences are all going to do the same thing. At some point the ACC or Big 10 will call things off and then everyone else will too.

I think this is probably true. Much like what happened during basketball conference tournaments back in March, we will see one go and the rest will quickly follow.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If they move it to the spring, you'd salvage programs and it'd obviously be tremendously better than not having it all together. If we do not have it at all, the Notre Dame bowl game could be the last game Purdy and Kolar will ever play in a Cyclone uniform.
And, then start it back up the next fall? That'd be an extremely short turn-around.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you are actively sick, you probably should. Most people who are sick just stay home though. Most people with the flu also try to avoid being around old people and young children. I don't believe the flu is spread by pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic people like this coronavirus. The length of time people are contagious with the flu is also much less than this virus.

A lot of people still do go out when sick unfortunately even with coronavirus. Plenty of them because they don't feel like they can 'afford' to miss work especially if their work is bad about time off/sick pay

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A lot of people still do go out when sick unfortunately even with coronavirus. Plenty of them because they don't feel like they can 'afford' to miss work especially if their work is bad about time off/sick pay

And then there's the stupid people. The kid who went to a graduation ceremony in a town in Iowa knowing that he had taken a COVID test, but he hadn't received the positive result yet, so he went and took pictures with a bunch of his classmates.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
And then there's the stupid people. The kid who went to a graduation ceremony in a town in Iowa knowing that he had taken a COVID test, but he hadn't received the positive result yet, so he went and took pictures with a bunch of his classmates.

Imagine a case where they have football and allow say 10,000 fans in, so at most someone might get to see a couple games in person. You get right up to your time to go and you are kind of ill. I bet 50% of those would still go so as not to miss.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I have to admit that before this I did not care about those sorts of things as much, however now I'm very conscious of touching my face and touching random things in public.

Or people who do the 2 second hand wash, but they "washed" their hands.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
And, then start it back up the next fall? That'd be an extremely short turn-around.

Thought I had already seen that some players have already said if they push FB to the spring they would not want to play because they don't want to put their bodies through that. Think about it, that's not a lot of downtime between seasons and you'll probably have guys with NFL aspirations that will just flat out not play then anyways because they are not going to risk injury right before the draft. Also think about the injury risk of taking all those hits in the spring then only having a short offseason to recover before you put your body through it again. I'd worry that player health and safety would be a concern in the fall as they put their body through so much in FB that basically playing 2 seasons in a 12 month window could create more injuries than usual in the 2nd season.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Ivy Leagye is FCS and I would imagine very low FCS (assumption on my part). I have my doubts they even schedule any power fiver conference members. Could be wrong.

Correct they're non-scholarship FCS and don't participate in the playoffs, they're kind of in their own bubble. The SEC and Big 10 are the bellwether leagues to watch here.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I love how these magical pieces of cloth can now solve everything. Ironically my belief of magic is also taking a real hit.

Since you're on a football forum, I'll put it in terms you probably understand.

It takes a whole team to win football games. Wearing a mask is like having a good quarterback. But you need social distancing (lineman), testing (coaching), treatments (skill positions), etc. to actually mitigate the effects of COVID.

We can trot Purdy out onto the field all we want, but if he has a supporting cast equivalent to the Kirkwood JV football squad, he probably isn't going to be able to do much of anything to help. Same goes with masks.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Odd you cannot choose as my behind the head one is essentially the same thing as the behind the ear one just a different point at which it is secured. I have worn the behind the ear ones all day and it definitely sucks but if it keeps me from infecting someone I will do it.

We have to wear the ones provided to us by the company, but I fully agree with you.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The President of Purdue was on CNBC this morning. Said every single student will have to be tested before being allowed on campus and then I believe he stated everyone must be tested once per week. This was for all students.
So one university is going to use 1.5 million tests on just students (that's not counting faculty and staff) during this school year? If this becomes wide spread, where are all of these tests coming from?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So one university is going to use 1.5 million tests on just students (that's not counting faculty and staff) during this school year? If this becomes wide spread, where are all of these tests coming from?
The place that makes the tests.

Reactions: isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The place that makes the tests.
The places that have been continually behind up to this point? If every college is going through somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 4M tests in a 9 month period there are going to be shortages that will dwarf the shortages we have already seen.