No Cyclone Weather Warning

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Yeah, it's definitely pretty much the best part of the gameday experience.

Well, I don't know if it's the best. Maybe it's the barley pops had before the game that make it seem cool.

We'll find out quick too since I can't have any this game in case I need to rush back home for work. I'll let you know.

Last edited:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
It'd be one thing if it were the first time we bad ever done the announcement, but by now 98% of the crowd will know its part of pregame and they can educate the other 2%

Definitely.

Plus the warnings are bunk anyway. It just a way for the TV media to hype it all up and get bigger ratings when the warning go off and everyone pulls out their mobile device to use "13 Warn Me" and watch live, streaming coverage on Iowa's Weather Channel.

13 Warn Me! Available now in the App Store and Android Marketplace!

:)jimlad: by the way, just incase anyone's sarcasm detector is fatally wounded.)

Last edited:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It would be idiotic to not have this. Anyone who dies because they can't distinguish the game day weather warning from a real one is probably a great case for natural selection.

Email JP!

This.

Have an actual local station/meteorologist come on if there is a real threat...it's that easy. and if you are Ames and can't differentiate between the Cyclone Warnings inside Jack Trice on a saturday or the real thing, then u b dum...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If K State fans aren't familiar with the tradition, that's what they get for not coming to Jack Trice for five years.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't understand the negative effect of punking fans who dont understand this is just part of the pre-game? Will peoples lives be at risk if they interpret this as real?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Is the reason they don't want to play it because they don't want to worry the crowd or the surrounding community? I don't know how far away you can hear that siren in Ames but if it sounds like the regular tornado siren and the Ames community can hear the siren from Jack Trice, it's probably best not to play it when under a tornado watch.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If it's just because they don't want to confuse the fans in attendance, that's pretty weak.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Is the reason they don't want to play it because they don't want to worry the crowd or the surrounding community? I don't know how far away you can hear that siren in Ames but if it sounds like the regular tornado siren and the Ames community can hear the siren from Jack Trice, it's probably best not to play it when under a tornado watch.

First of all, its sounds nothing like a modern day tornado siren. Second of all, whats are the negative effects of people who mistakenly (or idiotically) take it serious?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
First of all, its sounds nothing like a modern day tornado siren. Second of all, whats are the negative effects of people who mistakenly (or idiotically) take it serious?

Thankfully, it's been a while since I've heard a tornado siren.

Theoretically, the effects are people ignoring the real tornado siren because they believe it's just the sound system from the football game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Thankfully, it's been a while since I've heard a tornado siren.

Theoretically, the effects are people ignoring the real tornado siren because they believe it's just the sound system from the football game.

If thats the case, then the damage has already been done.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If thats the case, then the damage has already been done.

I agree. But if you tell people in advance that you won't be playing the siren, they can't come back and sue the **** out of you.

I'd play the siren, but I don't have to worry about the legal rammifications on the .001% chance that a tornado actually struck down in Ames during a football game.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
if it goes off during play/players on the field. then its a near sure bet that its real. if not? its entertainment. our jumbo tron is ******* huge. there is no reason for people to get confused. but i can see why Iowa state is taking interest. they dont want to end up with some bs and end up getting sued. (see guy or lady that sued mcdonalds for coffee that was too hot)

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
if it goes off during play/players on the field. then its a near sure bet that its real. if not? its entertainment. our jumbo tron is ******* huge. there is no reason for people to get confused. but i can see why Iowa state is taking interest. they dont want to end up with some bs and end up getting sued. (see guy or lady that sued mcdonalds for coffee that was too hot)

What the hell is this? After playing mafia with you, I just assumed your computer wouldn't let you type more than 10 words at a time.:biggrin:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I think it would be alright if they cut the sirens out during the game when they play it after touchdowns, but I think they should at least keep the pregame stuff.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
the moron that mistakes the TD siren and entrance theme for an actual weather alert deserves to spend the afternoon in their fallout shelter anyway.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
In order to limit any local residents from wrongly identifying the video as an actual Tornado Warning, the Iowa State Athletic Department announced today that in lieu of the football team's entrance video, Alumni Association president Jeff Johnson will return to the field to lead the fans attending the game in several ISU cheers.

Is the :jimlad: really needed?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron