No Counter Offer?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
13 sports reports that ISU was given no chance to counter offer. This sounds personal, and I don't believe for a second that Cael told Pollard he has a better chance to win a national title at PSU. That makes no sense.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
More and more facts/rumors will come out over the coming weeks. But it is true that ISU had no chance to counter, even though they were prepared to do so.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I heard that too....along with the Pollard statement about how they talked all week long, and what ISU could do to keep him. I don't believe for a second that Pollard had no opportunity at all to make a counter offer.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
**** Sanderson. Wasn't about money my ******* ***. I just watched channel 8 news about it and Sanderson can now kiss my ***.....good riddance.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Cyclonesrule91- I think Cael has a little more cred as a great Cyclone than JP. I'll always love Cael for coming to ISU and giving us the greatest wrestling performance, if not the greatest athletic performance, in NCAA history. What has Pollard given us but bad football and basketball and overpaid coaches?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
More and more facts/rumors will come out over the coming weeks. But it is true that ISU had no chance to counter, even though they were prepared to do so.
Which indicates to me that it was about more than money. If it is just about the money then you entertain all offers. I am really hoping it was money, but have a sinking feeling that it was not.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
They talked before he was offered the job and money by PSU - they didn't have a chance to counter offer before CS resigned. They couldn't counter offer before the offer was made.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Maybe Cael isn't the kind of guy who would use a job offer to gain leverage in his current job. I respect people who don't play games, and maybe that was the case here. We don't know.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Cyclonesrule91- I think Cael has a little more cred as a great Cyclone than JP. I'll always love Cael for coming to ISU and giving us the greatest wrestling performance, if not the greatest athletic performance, in NCAA history. What has Pollard given us but bad football and basketball and overpaid coaches?

I don't know....... I was kind of withholding judgement until I heard some facts, but watching that interview and all I saw was a POS blowing ISU under the table. Wasn't about the money (looks away from the camera), I will always love ISU (looks away from the camera), It's just what's best for my family (looks away from the camera). All he's saying is **** on ISU and I am suddenly pissed off. I'm not even a big wrestling fan.

**** him

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
They talked before he was offered the job and money by PSU - they didn't have a chance to counter offer before CS resigned. They couldn't counter offer before the offer was made.

Are you saying that Cael turned in his resignation before Penn State formally offered him the job?

Zaux

Apr 17, 2009
Des Moinea
Like what? Lets just get to the bottom of this so we can get over it.

i agree completely- if there is any "behind the scenes" crap then lets here it now-

ISU is a far more reputable school in wrestling than Penn St- it's about the money imo- there's nothing wrong with taking a huge pay raise to do the same job cuz we all would prolly do the same, but atleast admit it is all im saying-

as much as id love to throw in a "he's afraid of brands" or some other jovial ribbing along those lines, i really think they(to steal a line from the Godfather) made him an offer he couldnt refuse

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Are you saying that Cael turned in his resignation before Penn State formally offered him the job?

No. CS and JP talked. Then CS was offered by PSU. CS resigned before JP could counter offer.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I think a big part of this was not being second fiddle in the state. I say that because of what Cael said to Jamie, and Jamie said in the statement, with regards to kids growing up out east and wanting to wrestle for Penn State.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No. CS and JP talked. Then CS was offered by PSU. CS resigned before JP could counter offer.

If that is true - wow. Cael didn't want to be here, and didn't even want to know how much JP could sweeten the pot...
If that is true - this was personal.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think a big part of this was not being second fiddle in the state. I say that because of what Cael said to Jamie, and Jamie said in the statement, with regards to kids growing up out east and wanting to wrestle for Penn State.

If that is the case then Cael is not the person I thought he was. It was in his hands to get those instate kids away from Iowa. It was in his hands to win NCAA titles. It was in his hands to kick Iowa's ***. It was in his hands to make Iowa play second fiddle. Instead he quits when the going gets a little tough.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
This all had to do with the fact that sanderson couldn't hold Brands jock strap when it comes to coaching and he couldn't stand the fact of being #2, and a distant #2 at that. I can't believe I just said that................

The truth hurts.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
"He said the high school talent in Pennsylvania and surrounding states is the best in the country and the kids in that area grow up wanting to wrestle for the Nittany Lions."

That quote says a lot to me.