No 100M run-off!

ISUtamu

Aug 28, 2010
Paris, France

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Kind of crappy how it played out though, they touted her as an Olympian right after the race, press conference, medal, the whole nine yards. Then they're like oh sorry about all that, you have to run again.

If she truly believes that she won the spot, racing again would do nothing good for her. If she wins the runoff it's the same outcome she already believes is right, if she loses the runoff she's lost her chance completely even though she feels she won the first time.

bots

Oct 6, 2010
So her heart of hearts is a better judge than a photograph? Give me a break. She's just afraid Felix will smoke her, like she did to the rest of the field in the 200m on Saturday.

This. I like Felix, although she's clearly much more suited for the 200 than 100. Both will go on the relay, so it's not like Tarmoh is missing out on the experience.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
This is some bull ****. I was looking forward to the run off. I could tell last night though, during an interview with them both, she was taking all of this very hard. Feel kind of bad for her, but the picture doesn't lie. It was a dead heat. Run again, or don't. If you're the one who backs off, after seeing the results for yourself, I don't think you have any room to complain.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
After watching the original race....Tarmoh ran the race of her life with a fantastic start out of the blocks, while Felix stumbled out of the blocks and still managed 4th place originally...I can understand why Tarmoh doesn't want a run-off, she must've realized that perfect storm of events that happened then, will not happen again....

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Felix probably would have won the race tonight.
I'm disappointed in Tarmoh for not even wanting to run the race. If she truly feels like she is better and should be the 3rd person going, then freakin race! Don't pull out and complain about it. It was clearly a tie as the photo shows.
All this shows me is that she is scared and knows she is going to lose that run off.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
So now it's a coin flip?

Edit: Nevermind... Surprised she would concede. I thought she figured she'd lose and thought the coin flip was better odds. I'm not sure if she's being patriotic and sparing Felix the extra race or she's just being a sore loser. Personally, I could live with losing, but I couldn't live without trying... Glad we have a competitor going in her place (would have been irritated if there would have been a coin flip and Felix lost).

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
So now it's a coin flip?

Edit: Nevermind... Surprised she would concede. I thought she figured she'd lose and thought the coin flip was better odds. I'm not sure if she's being patriotic and sparing Felix the extra race or she's just being a sore loser. Personally, I could live with losing, but I couldn't live without trying... Glad we have a competitor going in her place (would have been irritated if there would have been a coin flip and Felix lost).
I don't think there was any way a coin flip was going to happen. Both of the competitors would have to agree to a coin flip. If one person wanted a coin flip and the other wanted a run off, the run off would be the deciding factor.

And I agree, I'm glad we have a competitor going in the race.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
This is stupid. It's not all about you. If you truly want to be an Olympian, you have to believe the US Track Team deserves the best members it can get. If her "heart of hearts" was in the right place and she truly had confidence in herself, she'd run again.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
This is what is wrong with America today....She should've just proven she deserved her spot in the run off....What a waste of a possible opportunity to represent her country, that a vast majority of Americans never even get the chance....I guess the Urban Meyer attitude still has a presence today in the USA, "When the going gets tough.....Quit!"

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
From the article....

“This decision was really hard for me to make,â€￾ she said of the run-off. “I was pushed into a corner. They said if you don’t make a decision, you give your spot up. I work too hard to just give my spot up. I had to say it was a run-off.â€￾

Just for emphasis...

I work too hard to just give my spot up.

So obviously she was left with no decision than to just give up her spot.

I've got 10:1 that says there is lawsuit coming. She decided that she had little chance of winning the runoff and her (or her lawyer) decided there was a much better chance of winning the spot (or monetary gain), but withdrawing and suing, which would have been more difficult had she lost the runoff.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
From the article....

Just for emphasis...

So obviously she was left with no decision than to just give up her spot.

I've got 10:1 that says there is lawsuit coming. She decided that she had little chance of winning the runoff and her (or her lawyer) decided there was a much better chance of winning the spot (or monetary gain), but withdrawing and suing, which would have been more difficult had she lost the runoff.

That was my thought as well, that she is positioning for a lawsuit. Guess we will see....