Nittany Lion Wrestling Club Finances

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
All Pollard's fault!

(Sarcasm)

I know it's not all Pollard's fault, but don't kid yourself, he had a significant role. Cael wanted and pushed for the same thing here - Pollard would not let him have access to the AD's major donors - he wanted to keep them seperated - Pollard thought it (Wrestling RTCs/Clubs) was all very shady (Kind of is). Cael probably would have left anyways, but Pollard handcuffed Cael big time on what he wanted to do here.

There's also a reason why the program has been downhill since he left. Look at where the Cyclone WC was in 2015. Jackson wasn't getting the resources (nor was he pursuing them like he needed to be - He just wanted to coach and thats it). The fact that our club was at 170k in 2015 says about all you need to know. If true, Metcalf is getting paid WELL above that total in just his own salary. Dresser knows how important it is, as you can tell how much focus he has put on it.

This has to be used as leverage for other programs (hopefully ours) to go out there and get money from a base that wants to compete.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I know it's not all Pollard's fault, but don't kid yourself, he had a significant role. Cael wanted and pushed for the same thing here - Pollard would not let him have access to the AD's major donors - he wanted to keep them seperated - Pollard thought it (Wrestling RTCs/Clubs) was all very shady (Kind of is). Cael probably would have left anyways, but Pollard handcuffed Cael big time on what he wanted to do here.

There's also a reason why the program has been downhill since he left. Look at where the Cyclone WC was in 2015. Jackson wasn't getting the resources (nor was he pursuing them like he needed to be - He just wanted to coach and thats it). The fact that our club was at 170k in 2015 says about all you need to know. If true, Metcalf is getting paid WELL above that total in just his own salary. Dresser knows how important it is, as you can tell how much focus he has put on it.

This has to be used as leverage for other programs (hopefully ours) to go out there and get money from a base that wants to compete.

While I have no idea if this is true or not, donors are free to give their money towards whatever they want so obviously none of them were too interested in supporting wrestling more than the AD already was, which is unfortunate.

• Winner
Reactions: CyDude16

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Really startling. They have more $ than the next 20 clubs combined.

I've heard they have one big donor who contributed ~5 million.

Is this true? Wowza!

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa just got two 1 million dollar donations as well. Will be interesting when the next years come out

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Iowa just got two 1 million dollar donations as well. Will be interesting when the next years come out

My Iowa guy says they are poised to present a $15M+ wrestling only facility for BOR approval within 6 months. Jebus.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm no JP apologist but I think fans forget how financially strapped the Iowa State athletic department was during Cael's time here. All of our facilities were way behind and there was now way JP could have invested in the non revenue generating sports. Obviously Iowa State is now sitting much better financially and wrestling will finally be given their piece of the pie.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I'm no JP apologist but I think fans forget how financially strapped the Iowa State athletic department was during Cael's time here. All of our facilities were way behind and there was now way JP could have invested in the non revenue generating sports. Obviously Iowa State is now sitting much better financially and wrestling will finally be given their piece of the pie.

I understand that, but what I'm talking about isn't money being put into the Wrestling program (from the Athletic Department) - I'm talking about money getting pumped into the CWC (a non-profit org) by donors, not the AD - that's not technically affiliated with the athletic department.

Yes, Cael wanted better facilities and probably better pay for him and his assistants, but he knew a thriving CWC was the way to the top. He has now done that at PSU, winning 6 of the last 7 national championships for his college program in the meantime..

• Winner
Reactions: ProhmDate

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The Penn State Wrestling Club has an entirely different purpose and identity. In its IRS 990 form from 2015, the club stated, "We provide prematch social events at some home matches and have an end of the year Awards Banquet. Through these methods we give special recognition to wrestlers and coaches and allow our membership and fans to interact."

With contributions of $1.7 million (around $300,000 per year), think of it as a really wealthy party planning committee for Penn State.

Let's start a Cyclone Tailgating Club. Donate the amount you would have spent on tailgating anyway and since you're getting a tax write-off maybe donate a little more than you would have spent. The club buys all the tailgating stuff instead, gets some nice bulk discounts so you actually get more for your buck, maybe buys a nice RV (I'm sure that would be tax free too). Profit.

Note: This is different than the Cyclone Club because all of your donations are basically getting used by you, not the athletic department or any specific sport.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Excerpt from Coach Dresser's Newsletter that he just sent out:

AS I finish this, I am providing a link that all wrestling fans might find interesting. You will have to copy the link and put it in your browser.

www.flowrestling.org/article/59586

In a nutshell, it shows what each of the nation's top RTC's have raised -- with Penn State's coming in at $1.6-million per year, followed by the Hawkeye Wrestling Club at around $500,000 per year. AS you can see, the landscape of college wrestling is changing. My focus on the Cyclone RTC is real and your support is very important. Making an online donation here and/or attending one of our upcoming functions is very important for the continued growth of our RTC and our program.

WE have truly had a great time on the road this summer and I am really looking forward to all three (3) outings this month. I think we will see the difference in Hilton this season with attendance. I also feel that we will be close to my goal of 200 donors by Sept. 3, which is my 200th day on the job. (We currently have about 140 donors.)

Lastly, in an effort to reach our goal of raising $1-million, we are producing a very informative video piece about what it is going to take to Make Iowa State Wrestling Great Again. It is my intention to share this vision with individuals and especially corporations in the Cyclone Nation. It has always been my experience that when you get a lot of people pulling together in the same direction, greatness can occur. So stay tuned for bits of this piece in our next newsletter and be sure to reach out to myself or Robin if you would like for me and my staff to visit your company or corporation.

Thanks and Go Cyclones!!

Coach Dresser

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I understand that, but what I'm talking about isn't money being put into the Wrestling program (from the Athletic Department) - I'm talking about money getting pumped into the CWC (a non-profit org) by donors, not the AD - that's not technically affiliated with the athletic department.

Exactly. That is what (IMO) Pollard didn't necessarily want. He wanted donor energy to focus on athletic department things... You have a finite number of donors with a finite amount they are willing to donate. It makes sense when you look at the facilities we were trying to get done at the time. Sukup bb facility... football facility... paying coaches better salaries... etc.

Just my opinion anyway.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Yes, Cael wanted better facilities and probably better pay for him and his assistants, but he knew a thriving CWC was the way to the top. He has now done that at PSU, winning 6 of the last 7 national championships for his college program in the meantime..

So maybe wrestling fans should have started writing the checks instead of diverting most their blame to Pollard.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if this sort of donor and the likelihood of this level of donation was known to Cael when he left Ames.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron