NIT Qualifications

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by butlercy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. butlercy

butlercy Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I was just watching the Marquette/St Johns game and they said that even with a losing record St Johns had a shot at the NIT because they had finished the season strong. I thought you had to have a winning record to get an invite.

Any experts?

2. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    I thought you had to have a winning record as well.

3. AIT

AIT Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Johnston, IA
    I think the NIT prefers teams with winning records, but will take a team with a losing record if it's a special circumstance. I don't think St. Johns qualifies as a special circumstance for beating Georgetown twice in the last couple weeks, but if they make it, good for them.

4. isunorth

isunorth Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Real Estate Consultant
    Minneapolis
    I'm not an expert, but found this on the NIT website. Don't see anything about requiring a winning record.

National Invitational Tournament Official Athletic Site

However, thought it was interesting that they automatically take the regular season conference champions that aren't selected for NCAA tourney.

5. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    I thought, just within the last year or two, I heard they changed the rules and said that you had to have a winning record.

6. jaretac

jaretac Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    I've wondered, if by some miracle, ISU can make it all the way to the title game but lose, if the NIT would take us. We currently have a 15-16 record, with this scenario we would be looking at a 18-17 record.Not in any way getting my hopes up, but I'm curious.

7. LindenCy

LindenCy Kevin Dresser Fan Club
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know if it is official, but for a while I thought that was the case. It is not the case for the CBI (or wasn't...are they around this year?).

8. FDWxMan

FDWxMan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Des Moines
    Might as well win the last one and go to the big one if they're going to get that far. :smile:

I think the CBI is back again this year, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a third tournament outside the NCAAs, so who knows what it takes to get to one of 'em.

9. becrisgreg

becrisgreg Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Omaha