NIT field ...

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The two halves has never made sense to me. Every other level of basketball plays quarters.

@jereseib what do you disagree with? That I didn't understand playing halves instead of quarters or that junior high, high school, and professional basketball play quarters while college basketball plays halves? Just curious.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would hate to see the 1 and 1 go away. It comes into play so much in the 2nd half and has lost/won a lot of ball games.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
@jereseib what do you disagree with? That I didn't understand playing halves instead of quarters or that junior high, high school, and professional basketball play quarters while college basketball plays halves? Just curious.

Your post made it sound like you wanted to go to 4 qtrs. I don't like that idea.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Some people just don't like change.

I like change when it' for better good of the game. I dislike change when it's an attempt to squeeze even more advertising money into games by getting another 2 breaks per game.

They tried to do the same thing on Selection Sunday the year of the leaked bracket. Just try to prolong the show for more advertising money.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I like change when it' for better good of the game. I dislike change when it's an attempt to squeeze even more advertising money into games by getting another 2 breaks per game.

They tried to do the same thing on Selection Sunday the year of the leaked bracket. Just try to prolong the show for more advertising money.

Just so you're clear....if they adopt the same media TO's as the women's game, there would actually be 1 less TV timeout. A break between qtrs and a media timeout at the first stoppage under 5 minutes of each qtr. The first called TO of the 2nd half is still converted to a full media TO

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You are correct, with the change to quarters would also come new foul rules
- Team fouls reset to 0 at the qtr break
- 1 and 1 eliminated in favor of 2 shots starting with the 5th team foul of the qtr.
- No foul reset in OT (team fouls carry over and teams stay in the "Bonus" for the rest of the game

I think the 5 foul is too high. It may not be for men but, it is for the women. Teams rarely get to the bonus and it hurts a team like ISU that shoots FTs well and likes to get to the line
At the very least it should be 1 and 1 at the 4th foul and 2 shots at the 5th. It makes no sense that now you get to the free throw line on the 7th foul of a half but under those 4 quarter rules you could draw that 7th foul and another one (8th) in a half and never see the free throw line. Bob Huggins is licking his chops.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Your post made it sound like you wanted to go to 4 qtrs. I don't like that idea.

I couldn't care less if it was quarters, halves, or if they decided to play three periods like hockey. I'm going to watch regardless. It just has never made sense to me why they play halves instead of quarters.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

It actually cuts down the number of media timeouts doesn't it? If I understand correctly, each half has two under 5 minute media timeouts and a quarter break as opposed to 4 media timeouts currently (16, 12, 8, and 4 minutes). Maybe the quarter break is twice as long though, I'm not sure about that.

My main gripe with quarters is you get 2 more times that one team just stands there and lets the clock run down.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I couldn't care less if it was quarters, halves, or if they decided to play three periods like hockey. I'm going to watch regardless. It just has never made sense to me why they play halves instead of quarters.

What is it about quarters that inherently makes more sense than halves?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What is it about quarters that inherently makes more sense than halves?
Maybe that at every level leading up to men's college basketball players are playing quarters and every level after men's college basketball players are playing quarters. What make sense is to have some level of consistency.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Maybe that at every level leading up to men's college basketball players are playing quarters and every level after men's college basketball players are playing quarters. What make sense is to have some level of consistency.

Maybe everyone else is doing it wrong.

Partial jymlad applied.

College Basketball is the only version of basketball I watch. I don’t know if the half vs. quarters is the reason, I doubt it. This did remind me of the old parent saying though, “if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?” So I couldn’t help but comment.

I don’t like the 5 fouls/quarter idea, that’s too much, IMO, but I don’t think I’d even notice the switch to quarters from halves after a few games.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Some interesting knowledge.

Naismith designed it with two 15 minute halves which grew to 20 minutes. But for a few years in the 1950's college has always been two 20 minute halves. The BAA forerunner of the NBA went with four 12 minute quarters to make games last longer in the hopes fans would feel they received their money's worth of entertainment.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
At the very least it should be 1 and 1 at the 4th foul and 2 shots at the 5th. It makes no sense that now you get to the free throw line on the 7th foul of a half but under those 4 quarter rules you could draw that 7th foul and another one (8th) in a half and never see the free throw line. Bob Huggins is licking his chops.

I'd even go for 1-1 on fouls 3 and 4 and 2 at 5 and+. I think they want to make it easier on officials by getting rid of the 1-1.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
For me it just cuts up the game to much with regard to time not playing. With halves you have the timeouts every four minutes. With quarters you have timeouts within each quarter plus the time in between quarters. Halves just make for a smoother watch as a viewer IMO.

Right now there is 4 media timeouts per half. This would give you 3 every 2 quarters.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For me it just cuts up the game to much with regard to time not playing. With halves you have the timeouts every four minutes. With quarters you have timeouts within each quarter plus the time in between quarters. Halves just make for a smoother watch as a viewer IMO.
I'm not sure it makes any difference. In quarters they have a media time out every 5 minutes plus the quarter break. In halves they have a media time out every 4 minutes so there is actually one more break each half that way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron