NIT experimental changes

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Instead of slamming on the NBA - watch a Golden State, Houston, or Boston offensive set. You don't need 30 seconds of dribble handoffs to get a good look.
He (or she) didn't slam the NBA in the post you quoted. He was just stating that he likes having diversity in college ball, it's part of what makes it interesting for its fans. It's professional basketball isn't known for stylistic diversity, and that's largely because the rules make a lot of college schemes impractical.

Personally, I don't see the need for change. Why make college basketball more like a minor league? From a business perspective, it's wise to hold on to your niche if you can't directly beat your competition. College basketball is all about tradition, and March cinderellas that break the mold. The NBA rules were crafted with one purpose: let the superstars dominate. The blue bloods that gather teams of future pros will only get more powerful because under pro rules you end up with more spacing, isolations and room to slash, and with spacing the highest rated players can dominate. Abdel Nader is an example of player who's game is more suited for the pros. The NBA is a player's league, college is a team's league. It's okay to have your own preference, but if you're a current college basketball fan, there's a good chance you prefer the latter. And if you like upsets in March, you probably don't want to see rules that kill style diversity and hurt less athletic teams.

The NBA, FIBA, and college basketball are entirely different things. And that's OK. The NIT is also a historic, prestigious tournament, and shouldn't be the NCAA rules committee's whipping boy.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I watch a fair amount of WBB also, I personally haven't seen the advantage of going to quarters. Very seldom does a team get into free throws unless they get fouled on a shot. It works against finesse teams IMO. Like some one else said it just gives you 2 more chances a game to watch the clock run down and take a bad shot (ok that sort of specific to ISU WBB this yr.) I would just as soon they went back to halves. I'm not sure but do they get to sell more ads by switching to qtrs.? I've never really paid attention to the final count.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Here's the NIT official shoe

Reebok-Court-Victory-Pump-.jpg

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Some teams will do that sure. Nobody likes watching a team that stands out near halfcourt for 20 seconds before spending 7-8 seconds on actual play for the whole game.

But past a certain point shortening the shot clock also hurts the opposite style. There's something great in an offense that moves the ball around well and finds the good shot even if it takes a little longer. Shorter clocks can hurt this style as well.

You take that back! SOME people have to like watching UNI play basketball!

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm curious how many of these experimental rules changes have made it into or will make it into the standard rules in games. I seem to rememer them doing this before, but I don't recall the changes, nor do I know if they became permanent rules in the NCAA.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm curious how many of these experimental rules changes have made it into or will make it into the standard rules in games. I seem to rememer them doing this before, but I don't recall the changes, nor do I know if they became permanent rules in the NCAA.
The year before they went away with 35 second shot clock they did 30 sec in the NIT.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
The year before they went away with 35 second shot clock they did 30 sec in the NIT.
Right. I think one of the articles said the next big rules meeting thing isn't until Spring '19, so it would likely be one more year before these would/could be adopted. Probably would see them played with or tinkered with again in the NIT next year.

Edit:
The NCAA playing rules process has a two-year cycle, and the next possible rules change date is May of 2019.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Why did the NCAAW game go to quarters a couple years back?

To speed the game up, fouls reset at the end of each quarter so you don't see teams getting in the bonus shooting FT's for 15 minutes each half. I get it but I'm just not a fan.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Best change will be going to quarters. Games flow much better. Fewer stoppages for foul shots. Far easier on the eyes. I know most here disagree, but college MBB, not WBB, is the only game played in halves. High school, WBB and pros are all quarters. The college game is way too long due to timeouts and foul shooting.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
You don't remember "The Wave" wave in basketball? Wilson tried to get people into this right before they tried to get their "synthetic ball" as the Norm in the NBA. Two huge misses by them haha.

Although they still sell it on the Wilson website, for $70(!)

Somewhere, a bunch of Iowa fans just about that and started patting themselves on the back for how awesome they are.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I would like to see them experiment with taking this ball out at half court after time out late in the game - like NBA and WBB.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron