NIL op ed

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Not fine. In its present form.

I would be in favor of more regulation, caps, an equity bias, so that the "haves" cannot simply outspend the "have-nots". And while they are at it, make NIL something that the advertisers, the universities, etc., pick up, rather than the fans. The fans pay for too much (or enough) as it is.

Also, when the fans have to pay for NIL (I realize that advertisers are set up to pay the athletes for NIL, to some extent), schools like ISU lose out because they cannot compete with even minimally similar cash flow.
The fans aren't being forced to pay NIL. Nobody anywhere is forcing fans to do this. If the university picks up the bill that will simply result in higher donation requirements and ticket prices.

And why should we cap free enterprise? Let the players receive their fair worth in pay.

Finally, it's not as if we've ever been on a truly even playing field before this. Top recruits have never thought "as I start my recruitment I will place Iowa State on level terms with Texas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Alabama, and Florida."

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Not fine. In its present form.

I would be in favor of more regulation, caps, an equity bias, so that the "haves" cannot simply outspend the "have-nots". And while they are at it, make NIL something that the advertisers, the universities, etc., pick up, rather than the fans. The fans pay for too much (or enough) as it is.

Also, when the fans have to pay for NIL (I realize that advertisers are set up to pay the athletes for NIL, to some extent), schools like ISU lose out because they cannot compete with even minimally similar cash flow.
There is never going to be a world where equity and caps exist in college sports. Universities will never pick it up because then you get into employee status. Instead they have depts that help facilitate NIL. Fans were never supposed to seriously contribute to NIL and the vast majority still aren’t. Some fan bases with deep pockets and more engagement have created successful collectives. The majority are being funded by the same mega donors that were funding the AD before. If anything NIL the transfer portal has added to parity not taken away from it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think they should be employees and they'll need to figure out a way to handle that, and if they can't with the amount of dollars being thrown around everybody in these AD's are dumber than I thought.
The biggest thing about employee status is future risk. So 40 years from now a school might be liable for knee replacement surgery, rotator cuff surgery, CTE, etc.

That's probably reasonable. But if you are a university President, do you want a potential cost that would take money away from the core mission to educate non-athletes.

My bet is Universities will find a way to spin off revenue generating sports to semi-pro franchises. Or we have 2 different models: semi pro & ivy league.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The biggest thing about employee status is future risk. So 40 years from now a school might be liable for knee replacement surgery, rotator cuff surgery, CTE, etc.

That's probably reasonable. But if you are a university President, do you want a potential cost that would take money away from the core mission to educate non-athletes.

My bet is Universities will find a way to spin off revenue generating sports to semi-pro franchises. Or we have 2 different models: semi pro & ivy league.
Extremely low likely hood of that happening.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Extremely low likely hood of that happening.
What if some rich guy/gal offered University of Michigan $2B for the Michigan Wolverine Big10 franchise or Magic Johnson offers MSU $1.5B for the Michigan Spartans Big10 franchise. The teams continue to play in existing stadiums, but new owners are responsible for leasehold improvements.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
What if some rich guy/gal offered University of Michigan $2B for the Michigan Wolverine Big10 franchise or Magic Johnson offers MSU $1.5B for the Michigan Spartans Big10 franchise. The teams continue to play in existing stadiums, but new owners are responsible for leasehold improvements.
I’m trying to avoid using the world never but that is never happening. Their is zero reason for it to happen, it makes zero sense financially for anyone, and would also not allow the team to compete in college athletics.

Reactions: PSYclone22

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines

How expensive do you think future medical costs will be for athletes post-graduation?

How certain are we that schools don't already do this for their athletes?

The strongest arguments against athletes as employees that I've heard are this post-graduation medical expense one and the argument that it's not fair to smaller schools and - if we're being honest - both arguments are quite weak when considering NIL gives athletes the opportunity to embrace their full value.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The fans aren't being forced to pay NIL. Nobody anywhere is forcing fans to do this. If the university picks up the bill that will simply result in higher donation requirements and ticket prices.

And why should we cap free enterprise? Let the players receive their fair worth in pay.

Finally, it's not as if we've ever been on a truly even playing field before this. Top recruits have never thought "as I start my recruitment I will place Iowa State on level terms with Texas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Alabama, and Florida."
There is never going to be a world where equity and caps exist in college sports. Universities will never pick it up because then you get into employee status. Instead they have depts that help facilitate NIL. Fans were never supposed to seriously contribute to NIL and the vast majority still aren’t. Some fan bases with deep pockets and more engagement have created successful collectives. The majority are being funded by the same mega donors that were funding the AD before. If anything NIL the transfer portal has added to parity not taken away from it.
Appreciate your opinions. That's not to say I have to like what is going on with NIL, college athletics, realignment, etc.

I'ts all new, and to me, mostly unsavory.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
How expensive do you think future medical costs will be for athletes post-graduation?

The strongest arguments against athletes as employees that I've heard are this post-graduation medical expense one and the argument that it's not fair to smaller schools and - if we're being honest - both arguments are quite weak when considering NIL gives athletes the opportunity to embrace their full value.
Schools do not cover injuries post grad and honestly depending on the school they don’t have to cover serious injuries while they are enrolled. Universities that have med schools and hospitals often take care of serious injuries to athletes but it’s not always. Athletes usually have to go through their parents insurance or their own as they just have insurance to play.

Post grad medical expenses if they were employees could be astronomical. 8/9 figures easy for the whole athletic dept. This is one of the major reasons schools will fight tooth and nail to prevent the employee classification.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Appreciate your opinions. That's not to say I have to like what is going on with NIL, college athletics, realignment, etc.

I'ts all new, and to me, mostly unsavory.
NIL is new to everyone and don’t believe all the figures you hear on this site or most others. Very little of this is transparent, the involved parties have reasons to quote inflated numbers, and you only usually hear about the high end NIL deals.

Reactions: GoldCy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

How much does it cost for a knee replacement, shoulder replacement or hip replacement surgery? What % of general population has those types of surgeries?

Then there is CTE. The NFL settled for 30ish teams with 50 players a season for $1B in 2013.

Revenue sports might come through fairly unscathed in the P5. But why would schools like UNI or most G5 want the liability in football? The reality medical liabilities probably aren't different between UNI and Iowa.

Then with Olympic sports, why even incur the future liability.

PSYclone22

SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Athletic departments just won't be able to take care of their athletes if they become employees

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Athletic departments just won't be able to take care of their athletes if they become employees

You get that revenue isn’t profit right?

im4isu

Apr 11, 2007
New Haven
God I hate the 11:00 o'clock start times for home games, just hate them.

Schools do not cover injuries post grad and honestly depending on the school they don’t have to cover serious injuries while they are enrolled. Universities that have med schools and hospitals often take care of serious injuries to athletes but it’s not always. Athletes usually have to go through their parents insurance or their own as they just have insurance to play.

I have never known a "past employer" that was responsible for future medical expenses of a former employee. I guess it could happen with some sort of collective bargaining agreement, but I honestly do not know.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have never known a "past employer" that was responsible for future medical expenses of a former employee. I guess it could happen with some sort of collective bargaining agreement, but I honestly do not know.
It’s not broad lifetime medical coverage it’s medical coverage if you suffered serious injury on the job. That can often be rewarded for years of not for life and seeing how every single football game a player suffers serious injury it would be a nightmare to cover.

Reactions: GoldCy

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Military is the obvious. Another government agency albeit a different scenario. Although we've seen coverage and compensation included to just about every infliction. They give more than benefit of the doubt. At least those that served are getting recognition over. Those that think service is the duty of others.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
It is thru workers' compensation. If injured on the job, then these expenses are funded thru workers' comp insurance plans. Higher claims over time equal higher premiums.

That is the big risk of athletes becoming employees, on top of potential unionization, etc.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron