Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
$60K in a discrimination case? This is the very definition of a nuisance settlement. If anyone takes this as suggesting in any way that this indicates guilt they are an idiot. Attorney's fees alone could easily gobble up more than that $60K.

It's a really sad state of affairs that it often makes sense to pay someone who is making a false claim against you.

Obviously guilty bc they settled

I rest my case.

;)

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I just hope this goes away, on both sides for good. Please God let it go away. I'm sad that Nikki did this, because she was a great player for ISU, that was critical for getting ISU in the tourney, and she could have still been looked at fairly positively, even given some of her negatives. But In the end, she loses more by getting $35,000, cause these days, a person can go through that fast, and legacy, is forever. Instead of being remembers as a great player for ISU, one of a select group of Cyclones drafted to the WNBA, she will be remembered for this lawsuit.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This kind of hits close to home. I got a reputation with our attorneys as difficult and stubborn because I absolutely refused to approve a single nuisance settlement in cases that didn't have merit. But in the end the number of suits dwindled and eventually ended because people figured out that they weren't going to get that little pay day from us. But it was a living hell getting there.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Kinda surprised by this - seemed that both sides had their heels dug in. Then both of them gave in. Obviously Moody's legal team was pessimistic about getting a financial award in the trial and wanted to get paid; ISU didn't want a trial and any testimony that would put Fennelly in a bad light.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm just glad that we won't have dirty laundry aired in court. Even fairly minor things seem so bad when they are described during a trial.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This kind of hits close to home. I got a reputation with our attorneys as difficult and stubborn because I absolutely refused to approve a single nuisance settlement in cases that didn't have merit. But in the end the number of suits dwindled and eventually ended because people figured out that they weren't going to get that little pay day from us. But it was a living hell getting there.

I worked at a place that was quick to settle. Every employee that was managed out knew they would get a settlement. Made for a rough working environment, but the company saw it as a cost of doing business

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I worked at a place that was quick to settle. Every employee that was managed out knew they would get a settlement. Made for a rough working environment, but the company saw it as a cost of doing business

I was a claim adjuster for over 30 years, handled all sorts of litigation in most of the states. The biggest problem is that you can be as innocent as can be, but you cannot rely on our courts, judges and juries to rule in your favor. It's just not a perfect system and a lot of emotions and biases come into play, not to mention politics. Some people see court awards as a method of evening out an unjust society, transferring wealth from the rich to the poor. So, to make things fair you take from the big rich university and give it to the poor private individual. It happens every day, and that is a huge incentive to just settle. I'm not revealing anything earthshattering here, just adding my own personal experiences to what is widely known.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
How not? The playbook is in front of us - claim racism, stick to your guns, get settlement $ because the school/state doesn't want to go through a trial.

You should probably stop pursuing this stream of consciousness. It doesn't reflect well upon your belief system.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So pretty much any minority student athlete can pull this stunt and make $$$.

That's dumb.

I would say the opposite. Good luck finding an attorney to take you on a contingent fee when the precedent is making $24,000.00. I would imagine given the time put into this, it was a net loss for the law office.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If the state fights it and wins, it will likely cost much more than the $60k settlement. The state settling was likely the cheapest option in the case. It doesn't admit guilt at all.

According to our President, if you settle it means you are guilty.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I actually think this was a pretty decent amount for her. Her damages were probably lost wages in the WNBA plus some pain and suffering claim or the like. Well they don't make much in the WNBA and the avg career is probably only 1 or 2 years so they didn't do too bad. I would guess a rookie minimum is around 30k or so.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
A great case for the institution of loser pays attorney fees. That would put a crimp on these almost completely frivolous lawsuits. The state would have had no reason to settle and the attorney's would have taken a much closer look at the case, instead they still collected what, $25,000.

That is a horrible idea unless your goal is to deter people that have suffered discrimination from filing a claim. There are already penalties for filing a truly frivolous lawsuit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron