Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And where was the AD during this? What controls are in place to prevent abuse or these types of allegations?

Not pointing fingers by any stretch, but what polices and procedures does our school have in place and were they not followed?

Thats assuming she actually reported what she said happened.

DoctorUncle

May 30, 2015
Not that I'm a lawyer or anything but wouldn't she have to prove disparate impact based on race? Probably not an easy case to argue since she graduated and had a successful career.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I posed this same question to my friend. She said 'i ****ing hated him but didn't transfer. I love everything else about Iowa State and transferring just isn't as easy as people think. I wasn't wanting to sit out a year, postpone my graduation, etc.'
And yet there are many more who would say he helped make them what they are today and would support him to the end. I would guess they are the vast majority.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'll add this I think if it was an abuse claim it would be taken a lot more seriously. I just have a really hard time believing this right now.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Thats assuming she actually reported what she said happened.

There's still an issue if BF was out of control and the player didn't report the issue.

As a manager it's my job to have a feel for what's happening. If BF was a monster for the long term and it never was addressed by his boss then there could be even bigger issues.

(Not commenting if there is or not)

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Yikes. This is a really bad look for ISU. If this is true I would hope he gets fired quickly. Not even just the racist stuff but even just berating players. There is no use for it. You can be a very successful coach without being a complete ****.

Trophies for everyone!

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
And yet there are many more who would say he helped make them what they are today and would support him to the end. I would guess they are the vast majority.

you would be shocked at how many, and who, fall on the other side of your 'vast majority'

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yikes. This is a really bad look for ISU. If this is true I would hope he gets fired quickly. Not even just the racist stuff but even just berating players. There is no use for it. You can be a very successful coach without being a complete ****.

So does that make Bobby Knight a terrible coach? There are different eras and different coaches. I think the young people today just don't take to that style very well. They have been coddled for most of their lives and are in for quite the shock sometimes when life isn't as easy as it was portrayed to them. Now as to the racial component I can't say, I have never been around the program but that is going to be very hard to show or prove.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This line of argument is just so flawed. There are just so many examples out there why this isn't a legitimate argument.

He didn't say it was an argument for defense. It was a question. Comprehension.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

Sorry but he's been the same coach for as long as he's been here. Clearly enough players, coaches, administrators, and fans have been able to put up with his berating of players, for him to be here 20 years. They have accepted that is how he is. He coaches them very hard and holds them to a high accountability/standard. I agree there are different ways of being a successful coach, but being a softie is not necessarily the "right" way. Even within a team, you have to be able to manage certain players differently.

Obviously I would have a huge issue of him being racist, but I just don't see how that will be proven. And without this being too sexist, I've always had more of a problem with how he coaches his players, because they are females, as compared to if they were men's players.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Every kid is different though, some (like me) thrive when someone is hard on them, some kids don't have the confidence, maturity or just personality to accept that someone can be hard on them while also trying to make them a better person. I do think that, coaches from an older generation are losing touch with how to coach young kids these days and there are fewer and fewer kids who can be coached like hat. That's what happened here IMO. It's on coaches to adjust to their players or things like this are going to continue to happen. I do find it odd that she lasted 4 years with a coach she deemed racist or "too hard" on her. I'm sure there were lots of other factors that kept her here, just seems like this situation would be one that would make it pretty easy to leave. I mean shes accusing BF of basically the worst thing you can accuse someone of these days.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There's still an issue if BF was out of control and the player didn't report the issue.

As a manager it's my job to have a feel for what's happening. If BF was a monster for the long term and it never was addressed by his boss then there could be even bigger issues.

(Not commenting if there is or not)

This was my thought. I've heard he's a hard-*** for years but nobody seems to care. Was it worth ignoring? Was it bad enough in the first pace? I have no idea but smoke usually leads to fire.

I've never heard a racial angle but the AD had to have known he was a complete hard-*** and "signed off".

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Sorry but he's been the same coach for as long as he's been here. Clearly enough players, coaches, administrators, and fans have been able to put up with his berating of players, for him to be here 20 years. This will not bode well for his defense...that many people agreeing to a behavior that is negative for the outside world isn't going to help his credibility. They have accepted that is how he is. He coaches them very hard and holds them to a high accountability/standard. I agree there are different ways of being a successful coach, but being a softie is not necessarily the "right" way. Even within a team, you have to be able to manage certain players differently.

Obviously I would have a huge issue of him being racist, but I just don't see how that will be proven. And without this being too sexist, I've always had more of a problem with how he coaches his players, because they are females, WOW, remind me never to have you coach my girls...they don't need special treatment because they are young women...as compared to if they were men's players.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
If any of this is true he should be gone. I think it will need to be corroborated by other players first though. In the back of my mind, I've always wondered why Fennelly primarily recruits white players.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Regardless this definitely isnt a good look on the program. I dont think its any secret that Bill can be tough on his players, and at times there's been a question of whether that line has been crossed. This just brings that more into the public eye. At the same time, i seem to remember Moody not exactly being an ideal member of the team either, and being a big reason another player transferred out. One could argue based on that maybe she got better treatment than she deserved due to her talent level outweighing her behavior.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So does that make Bobby Knight a terrible coach? There are different eras and different coaches. I think the young people today just don't take to that style very well. They have been coddled for most of their lives and are in for quite the shock sometimes when life isn't as easy as it was portrayed to them. Now as to the racial component I can't say, I have never been around the program but that is going to be very hard to show or prove.

I'm not sure Bob Knight is the guy you want to bring up in defense of your embattled coach. And spare me the coddled kids stuff. NOBODY should ever have to endure being humiliated and berated by anyone, in any circumstances, ever. That type of behavior is bad parenting, bad coaching, bad teaching, bad management and nobody should have to stand for it.

Bob Knight was, is, and forever will be an *******. Just because he gets results doesn't make him any less of one.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
From the procedural side, it is a bit confusing what she is doing. Is she jumping right to a civil lawsuit? According to this link, complaints have to be filed before one can sue for discrimination.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/suing-harassment-discrimination.html

Before you can file a harassment or discrimination lawsuit against your employer, you have to bring your complaint to a state or federal agency.
[...]
Once you receive your right to sue letter from the state or federal administrative agency, you may file a lawsuit.

I don't know how these laws apply, since this isn't exactly a traditional workplace scenario.

According to the link below, the courts dismissed a workplace harassment civil lawsuit because a worker's compensation court had jurisdiction and all remedy should have been sought there.

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/new-jersey-courts-decide-workplace-harassment-civil-suit

Anyway, I'm also on the this-is-bad-for-ISU-no-matter-what bandwagon. I have no doubt the there are players who love Fennelly. That doesn't mean that his antics haven't been over the line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron