Niang's technical

jflattery

Oct 29, 2008
Kansas City
The refs were looking at something on the replay TV after the call. Were they really checking what he said and who he said it to?

I thought I saw the KU player hit Niang , before Niang said anything. When I first saw the ref signal for the technical foul, I thought it was going to go against KU - especially after they went to the replay.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I thought I saw the KU player hit Niang , before Niang said anything. When I first saw the ref signal for the technical foul, I thought it was going to go against KU - especially after they went to the replay.

Well he ran into Niang on purpose. Just trying to egg him on and it worked.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I respect your opinion, but much worse things are said on the court.

In fact, watch Tyrus McGee. Biggest trash talker on the team, and I promise he isn't saying: "Yo momma makes terrible cookies."
Niang is definitely the biggest trash talker.
Also, dropping a **** you during the game isn't worthy of a T. It's all part of the smack talk.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Sportsmanship

A sportsmanship initiative from the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Committees will be implemented this season. It calls for more stringent adherence regarding bench decorum by coaches and bench personnel.
Basketball rules committee members believe the following behaviors hurt the image of the game and should result in a technical foul against the coach or other bench personnel:

• Comments directed at or referring to any game official that question the integrity of an official (repeated references to the number of fouls called against each team; suggesting an official is “cheating” a team, etc.).
  • Profane, vulgar, threatening, or derogatory remarks or personal comments relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel.
  • Prolonged, negative responses to a call/no-call that are disrespectful or unprofessional, including waving or thrashing the arms in disgust, dramatizing contact by re-enacting the play, or running or jumping in disbelief over a call/non-call.
  • A negative response to a call/no-call that includes approaching/charging an official in a hostile, aggressive or otherwise threatening manner, emphatically removing one’s coat in response to a call/no-call, or throwing equipment or clothing on to the floor.
  • Continual criticism during a game regarding the same incident after being warned by an official.
Committee members understand there will be spontaneous reactions to calls, but they don’t want prolonged responses to harm the game environment.

New rules go into effect for winter sports - NCAA.org

This is about "bench decorum." I don't see anything here about players.

This is the closest I can find to what Niang did wrong.

However, I doubt he said anything racist because he, himself, is a minority. I doubt it was gender or sexuality related. And I doubt it was religion related because how would he know someones religion.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How about "Fudge you?" Seriously, is "F you" a violation? It is going to be a tough year for refs if they have a short list of things they have to give technicals for. I prefer just giving them judgment to call Ts based on the entire array of circumstances. Most of the times players say "F you," it is just being dismissive, not an act of aggressive that warrants a T.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I wonder how many T's I would receive on any given day? I'm pretty sure I fouled out before lunchtime today.

I think you're confusing my point. Get a T for saying f*** is ridiculous. Getting a T for directing a f*** you towards an opposing player is not ridiculous.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Niang is definitely the biggest trash talker.
Also, dropping a **** you during the game isn't worthy of a T. It's all part of the smack talk.

Actually, I'm the biggest trash talker.

I'll take you out to the CF parking lot right now. Meet me at the bus.

*receives PM giving me 1 day ban from CF*

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This is the closest I can find to what Niang did wrong.

However, I doubt he said anything racist because he, himself, is a minority. I doubt it was gender or sexuality related. And I doubt it was religion related because how would he know someones religion.

However it is profane and vulger.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
However it is profane and vulger.

Yes, but it links "profane and vulgar" to the items of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, and gender.

For example

"F*** your moms cookies, my moms cookies are better" would've been acceptable, but

"F*** you for being a boy" would be technical worthy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
All about the loopholes. Niang found one, refs didn't know about it.

It's ok, I forgive them. But lets just not forget them next time they are in Hilton.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Actually, I'm the biggest trash talker.

I'll take you out to the CF parking lot right now. Meet me at the bus.

*receives PM giving me 1 day ban from CF*
I enjoy dropping several "that's right mother ******"s after killing people in COD but thats about it. Probably don't deserve the biggest trash talker award.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yes, but it links "profane and vulgar" to the items of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, and gender.

For example

"F*** your moms cookies, my moms cookies are better" would've been acceptable, but

You're mis-reading it. Look at the "ors". This is how it reads...

1. Profane, vulgar, threatening, or derogatory remarks
2. or personal comments relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation

directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

For example

I find the phrase to be inappropriate to use personally. However, I recognize that it has become little more than an "all purpose" phrase for many people, sometimes even used as a compliment for something that was particularly impressive.

I feel sorry for refs who are going to be judged on whether or not they called technical fouls whenever someone says it to a member of the other team. Seems like an attempt by a PR wizard to "improve the image of the game" by taking judgment away from the refs.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think, for Niangs sake, this looks better:

1. Profane, vulgar, threatening, or derogatory remarks or personal comments
2. relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think, for Niangs sake, this looks better:

1. Profane, vulgar, threatening, or derogatory remarks or personal comments
2. relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel.

If thats the case, the rule would read

1. Profane, vulgar, threatening, derogatory or personal comments
2. relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'd give a "**** You!" a T before I'd give a "Your wife taste like Honey Nut Cheerios" a T any day of the week, and that 2nd got Carmelo pretty riled up.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
At some point you just have to let it go.

If Niang said some stuff...I have his back. It means we are playing with some heart/fire and I'm 100% behind trash talking as long as it doesn't become physical.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At some point you just have to let it go.

If Niang said some stuff...I have his back. It means we are playing with some heart/fire and I'm 100% behind trash talking as long as it doesn't become physical.

I don't hold anything against Niang. I like the way he pours himself in the game. If anything, we all just became aware of a new NCAA "policing" effort. I can't imagine how hard it would be for these guys to practice against each other all the time and say whatever they want, but then have to think about what they can't say during a game.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah. Because I can promise you much worse things are said in the game.

I believe he said it to the player.

But if he said it to the ref, yeah, he deserved it.

He'll develop the ability like most of us have to clearly express our feelings for an individual that may be a little more subtle.

He's gonna be a great one and will learn from all these experiences.

Help Support Us

Become a patron