Niang?????

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
What is going on with GN? I have not been impressed with his play as of late. Looks like to me he is forcing things, not crashing the boards and etc. ....almost looks like he has had the flu?? Anyone seeing the same thing or is it just me. I now his game sometimes looks like this but I just have not seen him be so off on his shots and labor up and down the court like he is doing. We have to get this fixed, sooner than later.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He seems to need things to open up for him to have room to operate. Most players are like that, but his skill set definitely does.

That may mean someone else hitting a couple of 3s, or even GN hitting a couple just to keep the defense at bay.

Right now he's not hitting the outside shot, and not many are either. Him taking it to the hoop means there's or two defenders ready to help.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I believe the children are our future....and I believe this topic definitely needs another thread. Classic thread title btw, well done.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
His 9 turnovers the last 2 games is concerning as well. He typically is a great passer.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I want to know if Niang makes 3s in practice. We hear a lot about Thomas shooting the lights out of the hoop in practice and how it is just a matter of time until it shows in the game (like last night), but what about Niang He has a great skill set, but it seems like his outside shot should be used more sparingly. For instance, it may help pull big men out to guard him so that he can go around them to the basket. Or it may help him get loose and comfortable on the court. Nonetheless, I would like to see Niang taking fewer 3s.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
Looks like defenders have figured out how to guard him. Had what 3 or 4 shots blocked last night? Dribbling too much. Multiple turnovers, including a really bad (Lucious-Like) pass. Seems a little unfocused.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Relax. Niang will be back. He didn't suddenly forget how to be a big time player. He's going through a shooting slump. He needs some 3 balls to fall, which will open back up the lane for him again.

Better now than in March.

Mark my words..... Niang will have a break out game soon. Hopefully we can win two of the next three.

If we do that, we're right where we want to be because we have a very winnable stretch after that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was wondering when some travel calls were going to catch up with him and last night it did.
Tell you what though, post game with Heft, Georges was brutally honest about our play lately and what's a head. I love this kid.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
IMO - McKay is taking up a lot of the real estate on offense that Niang typically works in. To me our spacing looks different when McKay is on the floor. I'm guessing this will improve as the season goes along.
Last year we kept the lane more open for Niang and Melvin.

On the bright side I think we are getting better at operating in close quarters when it gets congested in the middle.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
114.gif

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
If we don't make outside shots that allows for teams to double down on Niang. Basketball is a simple game, make shots and the post with open up and allow Niang to see more one-on-one. If you noticed, McKay is seeing a lot of one-on-one because teams are focusing on Ninag.
The team also has some spacing issues right now and this is why we are seeing so many turnovers. I have no problem with Ninag handling the ball on the key but we have one of the best pg's in the BIG12, let him handle the ball 95% of the time and make plays.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
17 points ... on a bad night ... I'll take it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Niang goes through a slump every year. He does look slow out there right now, and needs to stop with the lazy passes. But he'll snap out of it, just like he did last year.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Lately he looks like a MUCH slower and less athletic version of Royce White

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
His 9 turnovers the last 2 games is concerning as well. He typically is a great passer.

It's not so much that he has 9 TOs in his last 2 gms, it's how careless some of those TOs have been. I don't mind turnovers when you're trying to make something happen, but lazily throwing a pass that's picked off is troubling.

That said, Niang has so much passion Hoiberg and he will figure it out...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
17 points ... on a bad night ... I'll take it.
He's been a huge liability since McKay started playing.

9 PPG/game
3 TO/game
2 A/game
37% FG%
8% 3P%

I think sometimes he forgets that he's an inside guy who can play on the perimeter and not a perimeter guy who can play on the inside.

Last edited: