Niang tells KIMT 3 Hoiberg was offered Celtics job

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Whoa. Don't know if that makes me feel better that he turned it down, or worse knowing how serious NBA teams are about getting Fred.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
And after saying that, Georges said he is confident Fred will be here for a couple years. That's not very long!!:realmad:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Makes me feel on edge that Niang would say that.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
That's crazy if it's true.

Then again if NBA teams are already calling him after just 3 years as a head coach, he'll probably keep getting calls to coach NBA teams after just about every season. So I bet he'll be able to make the jump to the NBA whenever he feels like it's right for him.

I bet stories like this will be a recurring theme in off-seasons from here on out.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I hope the NBA keeps knocking. Means hes doing something right. Hoiberg isnt going to jump ship anytime soon.

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
matrix-smith-dodging-bullets-o.gif

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Whoa. Don't know if that makes me feel better that he turned it down, or worse knowing how serious NBA teams are about getting Fred.

Better. I know the roster is a mess but that is a great job if given the proper timeline.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

It only confirms in my mind that Fred likes what he has at ISU. As long as Fred is alive, he will always have the opportunity to coach in the NBA. Chances to coach at your hometown and alma mater don't open up very often. If he leaves and is fired after 3 years, there is no guarantee he will be able to come back to ISU and he would really put the AD in a tough bind.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A couple things:
-Yeah, if that was a comment that was supposed to stay at the basketball complex, I'd love to hear how Fred followed up with Georges. :)
-Scary info, but encouraging to know CFH is staying. The Celtics is a great job. But, we can't crawl in Fred's head, a job like that may also have much greater scrutiny.
-The good thing about Fred is he is a man of his word and has tons of character. If he did tell a player or recruit "i'll be here" I think that is a pretty solid promise barring a MAJOR change (new AD that doesn't like him, etc).
-Get used to these scares...similar to Captain Kirk in IC a few years ago when the NFL came calling each year. I know at one time he basically came out and said, "what do I need to do/say to let you know I'm committed." (but, hopefully he'll go to the NFL soon due to his unemployment) :smile:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think we all know that Fred will go to the NBA at some point. With his parents, in-laws, and kids all in town we are on bought time right now. I am just going by with what I think: he goes after most of the kids are graduated from high school. We might luck out with a double McDermott situation, if one of the boys is good enough to play bball, but I don't know them at all.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I think we all know that Fred will go to the NBA at some point. With his parents, in-laws, and kids all in town we are on bought time right now. I am just going by with what I think: he goes after most of the kids are graduated from high school. We might luck out with a double McDermott situation, if one of the boys is good enough to play bball, but I don't know them at all.

I think worst case is they are offered football scholarships and lead the football team to 4 bowl wins. No pressure though.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
So...do I start panicking now? Or...are we waiting until basketball season? Let me know, so I can procure a jug of moonshine to get me really fired up. I riot best when all drunked up.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Sounds like it might have been a joke... maybe.

Here's the quote.

"I know he's committed to us, and even after Brad Stevens got the job, he texted me, he said 'Boston offered me the job, but I turned it down.' He said he had enough of Boston dealing with me. So, he's a funny character like that. I mean, whatever he has in his plans, that's for him, but I'm almost positive that he's gonna stay around here and be dedicated to Iowa State for the next couple of years."

Skip to about 3:45 remaining in the video for this part

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
It only confirms in my mind that Fred likes what he has at ISU. As long as Fred is alive, he will always have the opportunity to coach in the NBA. Chances to coach at your hometown and alma mater don't open up very often. If he leaves and is fired after 3 years, there is no guarantee he will be able to come back to ISU and he would really put the AD in a tough bind.

Couldn't agree more.

And seriously, why would Fred jump? He can print his own ticket in Ames.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron