Niang Technical/Flagrant Foul vs. OSU?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This is the post I made on this back in the post game thread.
The way I see that play, and I looked at it several times, because I couldn't see the game live, it was a setup by Oklahoma. Ford probably has a play where they trap the player trying to hurry back on defense, because if you look at it, there was a player on both sides of Niang, and then the backside player does his best to make it look like a charge or a flagrant foul. That is the way it looked, and they didn't get a very good picture of it on the camera, but it was pretty obvious Niang had no intention of running into anyone, just was worried about hurrying to get back on defense. I think Ford is into setup plays to cause the other team to foul, and that is why there are so many floppers on the team. If you notice, Bubu is outstanding at those types of plays. I think he figured it out, since as far as I can tell, ISU doesn't make that a priority like Oky State.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Ford seems to like these little games. Ragister had a snippet about him yelling right before our guys shot their throws too.

Reactions: JJ4ISU

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Ford seems to like these little games. Ragister had a snippet about him yelling right before our guys shot their throws too.

I would like those little games too if I knew I was going to get outcoached every night in the Big XII when not playing Baylor. What a hack. Can't believe he actually gets talented players to come there.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The refs did review the play so they must have felt Niang did it on purpose or did something they didnt like.

Brookcyde

Aug 29, 2012
Speaking of his games...In the game in Stillwater, on the final inbounds play near the OSU bench, Ford moved over so he was standing right next to the inbounder even as the ref handed the ball over to put in play. He may techinically still have been in the coaching box(i haven't gone back to look)but he was definitely in our player's personal space. Several little cheesy things like that during that game caused me to lose some respect for him(which I'm sure won't cause him to lose any sleep at night)

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Speaking of his games...In the game in Stillwater, on the final inbounds play near the OSU bench, Ford moved over so he was standing right next to the inbounder even as the ref handed the ball over to put in play. He may techinically still have been in the coaching box(i haven't gone back to look)but he was definitely in our player's personal space. Several little cheesy things like that during that game caused me to lose some respect for him(which I'm sure won't cause him to lose any sleep at night)

There are a lot of coahes that get out of the coaches box. Someone should run a play vs KSU sometime called run to where Webber is standing.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
The refs did review the play so they must have felt Niang did it on purpose or did something they didnt like.

Can't un-foul based on review. The foul was called -- they checked to verify that it was a non-possession foul (or whatever the technical term is). You simply cannot take back the foul.

Though I thought there was a chance when the refs huddled that it might get waived off. Definitely cannot change based on review. It can only get worse based on the review (flagrant 1 changed to flagrant 2). But this was not a flagrant.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I thought the game was being officiated fine until they started calling Ts in the second half where a little smart ref interaction/getting players together would have sufficed

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I don't understand how that could be a dead ball foul (clock was running). I have seen many times a player gets fouled before the ball is inbounded and it is just a regular foul. The foul was ridiculous to begin with, but I think they got the technical call dead wrong.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It was a bogus call, I think the bottom line is Georges gets absolutely no love from officials.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I don't understand how that could be a dead ball foul (clock was running). I have seen many times a player gets fouled before the ball is inbounded and it is just a regular foul. The foul was ridiculous to begin with, but I think they got the technical call dead wrong.
It's not a dead ball foul. It's a non-possession foul. On an inbounds play, the team inbounding has possession (well, it gets complicated). In contrast, the time after the ball passes through the hoop on a made basket and before the other team picks it up to prepare to inbound it -- that time is defined as nobody possesses the ball.

Or something like that. I don't actually look at the rulebook, but go off of other people who do actually look at the rulebook. ;-)

Last edited:

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
It's not a dead ball foul. It's a non-possession foul. On an inbounds play, the team inbounding has possession (well, it gets complicated). In contrast, the time after the ball passes through the hoop on a made basket and before the other team picks it up to prepare to inbound it -- that time is defined as nobody possesses the ball.

Or something like that. I don't actually look at the rulebook, but go off of other people who do actually look at the rulebook. ;-)

It is a dead ball after a made basket. It becomes a live ball when the ball is at the disposal of the player inbounding the ball.