Niang Ranked as 7th best NBA prospect in Big XII

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I never understood why people get upset when one of their players isn't thought to be NBA quality. I mean some of the all time great college players never did squat in the NBA. Totally different game.

That said, I don't think EITHER Iowa or Iowa St. has an NBA player on Scholarship right now. Niang, Ejim, White and Basabe just aren't big enough to play the 4 and are not quick enough for the 3. Kane and Marble don't have the handle for the PG position in the NBA, and aren't good enough shooters to play SG. Even Woodbury at 7'1 doesn't look like an NBA player. He does have time to develop and he is 7'1, so I wouldn't totally write him off. All it takes for a 7'1 guy is a good SR year, and he could be drafted.

You watch a lot of Marshall games? I don't know enough about his game to say he will or won't make the league but everything I've heard about him is how versatile he is and that isn't something GM's hate.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
With his size and athleticism he has to be one of iowa's more disappointing players.
He was recruited to Sienna and is only at iowa because of Fran changing jobs. Not sure he was ever projected to be more than he is.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
He was recruited to Sienna and is only at iowa because of Fran changing jobs. Not sure he was ever projected to be more than he is.

I think you're right. ISU fans have a bloated expectation of Basabe because he had a huge game against us his freshman year. It seems that he was just carrying on the tradition of random guys going off against Iowa State.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I don't really buy that. What position is he playing in the NBA? I think Niang can make a roster but he'll get owned on the defensive side of the ball too often to be a starting player.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at his defense this year as compared to his freshman season. He's in much better condition, and a year older and wiser. And Doc Sadler is an assistant coach.

mncyclone11

Nov 18, 2009
The article seems to say that Niang's offensive game today would translate well into the NBA, however he will need to add a lot of strength, and better defense and rebounding in order to play in the NBA. With that being said, I think 7th (excluding freshman) is not a bad prediction because it is pretty much saying they see the potential but right now he is fringe player unless he improves on 2/3s of his game.

I for one and thrilled that we have a college sophomore that draft express feels has an offensive game as an NBA player. IMO his defense and rebounding will improve while at college. Will it be good enough to land him a job in the NBA? I can only hope, for both him and as a Cyclone fan.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I don't really buy that. What position is he playing in the NBA? I think Niang can make a roster but he'll get owned on the defensive side of the ball too often to be a starting player.

Ha, ha, butt-hurt Hawk fan strikes again.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I never understood why people get upset when one of their players isn't thought to be NBA quality. I mean some of the all time great college players never did squat in the NBA. Totally different game.

That said, I don't think EITHER Iowa or Iowa St. has an NBA player on Scholarship right now. Niang, Ejim, White and Basabe just aren't big enough to play the 4 and are not quick enough for the 3. Kane and Marble don't have the handle for the PG position in the NBA, and aren't good enough shooters to play SG. Even Woodbury at 7'1 doesn't look like an NBA player. He does have time to develop and he is 7'1, so I wouldn't totally write him off. All it takes for a 7'1 guy is a good SR year, and he could be drafted.

I'd agree if we didn't have an NBA player on our team every year for the past about 30 years, and 4 top 125 guys.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Improve rebounding and defense is potential is unlimited. Not to mention he keeps getting stronger and building muscle so with his increase in strength and getting rid of baby fat the defensive abilities will come. Keep in mind he is only 19. He still has a lot of maturing to do physically. I can see Niang in the NBA just because his skill set is so unique and is hard to guard.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'd agree if we didn't have an NBA player on our team every year for the past about 30 years, and 4 top 125 guys.

define NBA player. I assume you mean someone who at one time made a roster of an NBA team. If you're talking about a player who actually plays meaningful minutes in the NBA, the list from either program in the last decade or so is really small.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
define NBA player. I assume you mean someone who at one time made a roster of an NBA team. If you're talking about a player who actually plays meaningful minutes in the NBA, the list from either program in the last decade or so is really small.

Jamaal Tinsley
Diante Garrett (Ya, Ya, Ya)
Fred Hoiberg
Kelvin Kato
Wes Johnson (Ya I did it)
Marcus Fizer

That is some in the last Decade who have spent significant time in the League, plus a few others. It rounds out to about 11 former Cyclones who have played in the league in the last 10 years. How about Hawkeyes? I count 4.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Jamaal Tinsley
Diante Garrett
Fred Hoiberg
Kelvin Kato
Marcus Fizer

That is some in the last Decade who have spent significant time in the League, plus a few others. It rounds out to about 11 former Cyclones who have played in the league in the last 10 years. How about Hawkeyes? I count 4.

I don't think you can say DG has spent significant time in the NBA.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Jamaal Tinsley
Diante Garrett
Fred Hoiberg
Kelvin Kato
Marcus Fizer

When you have to list players who retired before McDermott was hired and guys who transferred out of the program that's pretty telling.

Which is beside the point, I was talking about players whose career started a decade ago not ones who were just winding down.

ISU has certainly been better at putting guys into the NBA than Iowa but that's damning with faint praise.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

I think making a roster makes you an NBA player. I mean what else would you call yourself? You're not a D-league or European player. Your job is an NBA player making a lot of money.

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think making a roster makes you an NBA player. I mean what else would you call yourself? You're not a D-league or European player. You're job is an NBA player making a lot of money.

You have to put qualifiers on it if you're going to attempt to bring ISU down to Iowa's level.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think making a roster makes you an NBA player. I mean what else would you call yourself? You're not a D-league or European player. You're job is an NBA player making a lot of money.

I agree with you. There is a difference though so I wanted to clarify before I agreed with you about whether they have any of those on the current roster. I think you're probably right.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron