Niang on offense

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I would worry about Niang in conference play if he was the go to guy, but since he works best as a role player, he commands less attention and has more opportunity 1 on 1. Down low though, he will get blocked a lot I think.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I would worry about Niang in conference play if he was the go to guy, but since he works best as a role player, he commands less attention and has more opportunity 1 on 1. Down low though, he will get blocked a lot I think.

He played against some of the toughest AAU had to offer and did just fine. Practiced against Nerlens Noel every day in practice, where I'm sure he learned a thing or two about shot selection. he has a knack for scoring and knows how to not get his shot blocked. Not worried

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
He played against some of the toughest AAU had to offer and did just fine. Practiced against Nerlens Noel every day in practice, where I'm sure he learned a thing or two about shot selection. he has a knack for scoring and knows how to not get his shot blocked. Not worried
Playing AAU ball and playing against Jeff Withey and players of that caliber are two completely and totally separate stories. AAU ball he was playing against other 18 year old kids. Now he's going to be playing against people potentially 5 years older than he is. It's not a question of if he'll hit the freshman wall but more when.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
To go along with peteypie people have been knacking Georges about how he won't be able to compete because of his lack of athletic ability ever since high school. He is so technically sound and has such a high basketball IQ he outperforms the more athletic players. I am not worried at all. I feel more comfortable with the ball in Georges' hand than any other player

Reactions: peteypie

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Playing AAU ball and playing against Jeff Withey and players of that caliber are two completely and totally separate stories. AAU ball he was playing against other 18 year old kids. Now he's going to be playing against people potentially 5 years older than he is. It's not a question of if he'll hit the freshman wall but more when.

Whitey may be the the only better shot blocker than Noel he sees all year, again, not worried.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Team defense is what I'm "worried" about. He's played against great players but AAU doesn't play team defense like the conference foes he will face. He'll adapt.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
We should be trying to get the ball to Georges on the block every possession. He's tough to stop 1-on-1 and he's a great passer. The only reason he might struggle against more athletic players is if he is out of position on the floor. His ability to get his shot up is the reason Fred said "players hate him."

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
It would only make sense to worry about a guy going up against better athletes if his game was predicated on out-athleting others. Thats not the case with Georges. He may hit a rough patch towards the end of Big XII play due to conditioning, but that's a Georges problem. Won't have anything to do with our opponents' athletic ability.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It would only make sense to worry about a guy going up against better athletes if his game was predicated on out-athleting others. Thats not the case with Georges. He may hit a rough patch towards the end of Big XII play due to conditioning, but that's a Georges problem. Won't have anything to do with our opponents' athletic ability.

These are my thoughts exactly. He can score contorting his body in weird ways, over his shoulder with a hook, spotting up, with a scoop shot, ect. He gets shots off and into the bucket in a way I do not understand.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I agree with the OP that the offense needs to flow through him. It just seems like the offense is more productive when he gets a chance to touch it. As mentioned above, he has a knack for finding Percy in open spaces.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I have not been unimpressed with his D. It certainly needs some work and will probably improve when he becomes better conditioned. But I certainly think he's farther along than Percy was as a FR

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Niang is pretty good. And he will get better. The 3's he takes are within the offense. Unlike Korey Lucious who just launches 3's for the hell of it. And IMO the play of Niang when we get to Big 12 play will be less of an issue than the play of Lucious. We just do not play well as a team with Lucious at PG. He is not the answer IMO. Very over rated.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Niang is pretty good. And he will get better. The 3's he takes are within the offense. Unlike Korey Lucious who just launches 3's for the hell of it. And IMO the play of Niang when we get to Big 12 play will be less of an issue than the play of Lucious. We just do not play well as a team with Lucious at PG. He is not the answer IMO. Very over rated.

He is valuable when playing within himself and the offense, but mostly a liability when he does not.