Niang injury. Blessing in disguise?

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Dude. While we can still win, our chances at a national title cracked with Georges' foot. To do so now our margin of error is much smaller.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Playing without Niang was something the team has done before, and they've been successful before with this.

Something I didnt't realize (unless I read it wrong): when Kane went out for about 2 minutes in the 2nd half, shortly after getting his 3rd foul, ISU extended their lead. You could tell that there was a dropoff for who was running the offense, but everybody still played within themselves to keep it going.
Like when? If you define successful as hanging on long enough to get him back in, I suppose.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Don't get me wrong I am still screaming at the top of my lungs "He broke his foot?!?!?" every time I think about it.....But is it possible that this could set us up for a big time run? I figured the biggest thing to hurt us would be having to turnaround and play UNC and we got by them with a W.

- At least 30% of our offense was through Niang
+ Most of our game tape will be of him

- Niang helped draw the opposing teams bigs out with his range
+ Edozie is not an offensive threat but he might be able to be an enforcer to at least put some fear in other teams coming to the middle

-UCONN, MSU or UVA in one weekend
+UCONN with a week for the Mayor to prep and a short turn around which we have seen multiple times this year

+Kane and Ejim WILL NOT LOSE.

It could be....for next season. Morris, Long, Thomas, Edozie and Hogue are all stepping up on a BIG! time stage. Think of the confidence these guys will have going into the offseason, and into next year.

Right now, I would rather have Niang though.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The fact that Edozie only played 16 minutes is a good place to start, and the fact he was subbed out to prevent him from hurting our offense. Considering we still scored 85? With Georges we have been scoring mid 90's against better defenses. Oh, and how about considering they scored 83? Georges has improved his rebounding and defense quite a bit in the last month.

You are blind and/or crazy if you think Edozie made up for the loss of Georges.

You don't know we would have scored in the 90s. You certainly can assume that, but as good as this offense is 85 points was still above the season average. In fact, Ejim, Hogue, Kane, Morris, and Long all scored above their season average, scoring a combined 22 points above their season average. Georges's points were simply made up for in other areas, so it's possible having Georges wouldn't have allowed us to score more points at all.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
You don't know we would have scored in the 90s. You certainly can assume that, but as good as this offense is 85 points was still above the season average. In fact, Ejim, Hogue, Kane, Morris, and Long all scored above their season average, scoring a combined 22 points above their season average. Georges's points were simply made up for in other areas, so it's possible having Georges wouldn't have allowed us to score more points at all.

team was completely gassed trying to keep up with NC scoring every trip down/rotating guys in and out. Niang would had alleviated that and we would have most likely won going away.

As it was...we needed insane shooting by Naz to pull even in the closing moments.

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
The only possible blessing in disguise might be to either my liver or liquor cabinet because I no longer have to take a shot every time the announcer mentions Nerlens Noel or old man's game.

Beyond that this is just bad news. It might be bad news we fight through, but there's no upside to this injury.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
team was completely gassed trying to keep up with NC scoring every trip down/rotating guys in and out. Niang would had alleviated that and we would have most likely won going away.

As it was...we needed insane shooting by Naz to pull even in the closing moments.

To be fair, at times we've needed insane shooting by Naz and Monte with Niang in the game. Oklahoma State anyone?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
And there is part two as to why it was not Edozie making up for the loss of Georges. In Edozie's minutes he allowed the front court guys to get some rest and avoid fouls, but he did not make up for Georges- no single person makes up for a guy that the entire being of our offense is built around. The only guy that could come even remotely close is Thomas getting hot for the first time since the KSU home game, and thus giving us a multiple sharp shooters an element we have not been able to count on.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
And there is part two as to why it was not Edozie making up for the loss of Georges. In Edozie's minutes he allowed the front court guys to get some rest and avoid fouls, but he did not make up for Georges- no single person makes up for a guy that the entire being of our offense is built around. The only guy that could come even remotely close is Thomas getting hot for the first time since the KSU home game, and thus giving us a multiple sharp shooters.

But you don't know they didn't make up for him. You're basing everything on an assumption that we somehow would have scored more points with Georges on the court, but we still scored above our season average without him. I'm not saying the team is necessarily better or as good without Georges, but only a closed minded individual would fail to recognize that there is evidence to believe the addition of Georges may not have made the margin of victory any greater.

ForeClones

Mar 12, 2012
Johnston, IA
I am honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but why hasn't this thread been deleted. I know the points in the original post were not negative but the title is terrible. Georges is vital to this team on the sideline and in the locker room. But make no mistake, while we still have a chance to win it all that chance is much less now than before the injury. Just my opinion, but I would never call an injury a blessing even if it is in "disguise".

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I am honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but why hasn't this thread been deleted. I know the points in the original post were not negative but the title is terrible. Georges is vital to this team on the sideline and in the locker room. But make no mistake, while we still have a chance to win it all that chance is much less now than before the injury. Just my opinion, but I would never call an injury a blessing even if it is in "disguise".

Because threads aren't deleted because some people think they're stupid?

What was a misstated post (I'm not going to say stupid because I think I know what he was trying to say, he just didn't say it right), outside of the flaming, has turned into a fairly decent conversation.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
The only case I can think of where an injury would be a blessing in a disguise would be if your coach is Fran McCaffery and it's someone at the end of the bench forcing Fran to use less depth.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
But you don't know they didn't make up for him. You're basing everything on an assumption that we somehow would have scored more points with Georges on the court, but we still scored above our season average without him. I'm not saying the team is necessarily better or as good without Georges, but only a closed minded individual would fail to recognize that there is evidence to believe the addition of Georges may not have made the margin of victory any greater.
How does margin of victory not changing (it would have to anyone with a clue) result in Edozie making up for Georges? That's right, it doesn't. Although valuable, Edozie only played 16 rather average minutes, and as you noted the 5 other primary scoring options all stepped up to make the margin of victory the same (not really though)- you know, the guys that played a lot.

It is just dumb to think any single player is making up for the foundation of our offense that is Georges, let alone for that player to be Edoize. Are you nuts? Clearly, you not only missed that game, but the entire season.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
How does margin of victory not changing (it would have to anyone with a clue) result in Edozie making up for Georges? That's right, it doesn't. Although valuable, Edozie only played 16 minutes, largely hidden minutes, and as you noted the 5 other primary scoring options all stepped up- you know, the guys that played a lot.

It is just dumb to think any single player is making up for the foundation of our offense that is Georges, let alone for that player to be Edoize. Are you nuts? Clearly, you not only missed that game, but the entire season.

Hey, why don't you two take an argument that only you care about over to some PM's where you can just keep pounding on each other if you wish, and the rest of us can not have to watch?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
How does margin of victory not changing (it would have to anyone with a clue) result in Edozie making up for Georges? That's right, it doesn't. Although valuable, Edozie only played 16 minutes, largely hidden minutes, and as you noted the 5 other primary scoring options all stepped up- you know, the guys that played a lot.

When did I say that Edozie himself made up for Georges? I said Edozie added defense we wouldn't have had otherwise and that the rest of the team made up for Georges.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Hey, why don't you two take an argument that only you care about over to some PM's where you can just keep pounding on each other if you wish, and the rest of us can not have to watch?

You don't have to click on this forum, or use this site for that matter.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Have to watch? Anyone opening a thread suggesting Georges injury was a blessing is either a sadist or masochist anyways.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Georges's points were simply made up for in other areas, so it's possible having Georges wouldn't have allowed us to score more points at all.[/QUOTE]This may be the dumbest comment made here to date.