NFL top 100 prospects

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
12. David Montgomery
"Montgomery has a bowling ball frame with thick legs but makes people miss similarly to Saquon Barkley. He's not a 4.40 guy, though."

90. Hakeem Butler
"Butler is what's now becoming a "throwback" super tall, physical freak of a wideout who won't necessarily make five defenders miss with the ball in his hands, but he'll rebound it with the best of them and is difficult to bring to the turf."

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I think Butler has a higher professional ceiling than Montgomery, but Montgomery is the better college player.
Love Butler and think he has a shot to have a nice run in the league but have to disagree. Montgomery has everything you look for in a workhorse back and guys like that are coveted in the NFL. I'd say there are more receivers that can play similar to Hakeem floating around than backs like DM.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Love Butler and think he has a shot to have a nice run in the league but have to disagree. Montgomery has everything you look for in a workhorse back and guys like that are coveted in the NFL. I'd say there are more receivers that can play similar to Hakeem floating around than backs like DM.

We will see how this plays out over the next few years - it's fun that we have the caliber of players here right now that we can have these arguments!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

It's a really fascinating thought experiment though. And pretty great to have them both coming back. And pretty exciting considering that if they have good enough seasons they could enter the draft.

I've never had the confidence in an ISU football staff to actually welcome losing kids to the draft. I do in DMs case. I've said it before; I hope Dave has a monster season, enters the draft, goes in the first round and gets rich!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'd really like to see DM get the 1st round stat off of our back. 41 years since a first rounder?

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I love the guy, but DM would need a truly monster season to get taken in the first round imo.
Would love to see it, but Idk if the line is going to be good enough yet

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think NFL scouts are looking for new age RBs that can run great routes and catch the ball out of the backfield. Montgomery might be best value because of this. Add to it his ability to break tackles and his great balance.

Campbell said David is the best route runner on our whole team.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think Butler has a higher professional ceiling than Montgomery, but Montgomery is the better college player.
I understand where you're coming from, and wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

But if there is one guy I do not want to bet against, solely because of their work ethic and motivation, it is David. I have a feeling, no matter what, he will have a long career, if for nothing else than he is a great locker room guy who shows people how to put in the work and always has a team first mentality.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
For David to go in the first round he's going to need about 1800 all purpose yards this fall and, I know it shouldn't matter but, the team needs to win about 9 games.

1400 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving. He also would improve his draft stock by showing a little more separation speed.