Next year and Kyle Kempt

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think he's given us our best chance to win at QB of any player since probably Seneca. Totally different player than Seneca, but that's how far back I'd have to go to have a QB I preferred. Maybe part of it is our WR talent but the guy was doing the things we needed to win when he was healthy.

After the travesty that was KSU this bowl game isn't just an experience thing but more of a must win. This team was better than 7-6. They earned 8 wins already, time to make it 8 wins on the historic record.

Agree up until the KSU part...

Excuses. They would be 8-4 if they earned 8 wins, which they came up short.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agree up until the KSU part...

Excuses. They would be 8-4 if they earned 8 wins, which they came up short.

KSU earned that win?

The truth is always more helpful than denial.

Not making football into something greater than it is but injustice exists in the world. It's not an excuse if you keep working against it. If you get screwed in life and sit on your ass because of it...sure that's an excuse. If you get screwed and use it to get better, there's no shame in being truthful about the way the world is.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think he's given us our best chance to win at QB of any player since probably Seneca. Totally different player than Seneca, but that's how far back I'd have to go to have a QB I preferred. Maybe part of it is our WR talent but the guy was doing the things we needed to win when he was healthy.

After the travesty that was KSU this bowl game isn't just an experience thing but more of a must win. This team was better than 7-6. They earned 8 wins already, time to make it 8 wins on the historic record.
Kempt doesn’t come out we aren’t close against OSU. I think we beat KSU because we are ahead enough the officials can’t blow it with Noland.

The Oklahoma win was great but the TCU game was the defense. He is ok but far from great. Noland clearly gives us the best chance to win.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kempt doesn’t come out we aren’t close against OSU. I think we beat KSU because we are ahead enough the officials can’t blow it with Noland.

The Oklahoma win was great but the TCU game was the defense. He is ok but far from great. Noland clearly gives us the best chance to win.

I was under the impression he was injured against OSU. Was he healthy? Kempt too me looked great until he was playing hurt, easily the best we've had since Seneca in that stretch.

I want the team to just play who has the best chance to win. I don't care much about development of one single game after we just had a game stolen from the program, the bowl practices are there for development. I assume everyone in the program is even more motivated by it than I am as a fan. If the coaches start Zeb or Kempt I'll just trust that's who looks like the best chance on that specific day of the Liberty Bowl.

QB ratings and completions just to get it out there:
Kempt: QBR 145.2, 137-205, 13 TD, 3 INT, sacked 9 times
Zeb: QBR 129.4, 36-66, 2 TD, 1 INT, sacked 2 times

Just for kicks compared to Park:
Park: QBR 135.1, 100-162, 9 TD, 5 INT, sacked 5 times

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I was under the impression he was injured against OSU. Was he healthy?

I want the team to just play who has the best chance to win. I don't care much about development after we just had a game stolen from the program. I assume everyone in the program is even more motivated by it than I am as a fan. If the coaches start Zeb or Kempt I'll just trust that's who looks like the best chance on that specific day of the Liberty Bowl.

QB ratings and completions just to get it out there:
Kempt: QBR 145.2, 137-205, 13 TD, 3 INT, sacked 9 times
Zeb: QBR 129.4, 36-66, 2 TD, 1 INT, sacked 2 times
We have to look at all factors. Zen played in the super windy Baylor game. Kempt may have been somewhat hurt against OSU but it wasn’t just that game. The offense wasn’t really good outside of the Oklahoma game. There isn’t a ton of difference in level right now but one will be here three more years one might be here one more game. The difference isn’t really there that much but for the future of the program I think Zeb needs to start. The future is the big difference maker.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We have to look at all factors. Zen played in the super windy Baylor game. Kempt may have been somewhat hurt against OSU but it wasn’t just that game. The offense wasn’t really good outside of the Oklahoma game. There isn’t a ton of difference in level right now but one will be here three more years one might be here one more game. The difference isn’t really there that much but for the future of the program I think Zeb needs to start. The future is the big difference maker.

Your points are valid but you ignore that Kempt's numbers would be even more ahead of Zeb's if he hadn't played a lot of snaps where he was clearly injured.

I'm fine with Zeb starting but I would hope he starts because he's the better QB or Kempt is hurt. This program has had a major problem getting past 7 wins for nearly two decades and has already had a ridiculous nutpunch leveled to that struggle.

If Kempt is healthy, and Zeb doesn't light it up in the first half, I think it'd be really stupid to not play the QB who had probably the greatest game in ISU football history just because he may be out of eligibility.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
KSU earned that win?

The truth is always more helpful than denial.

Not making football into something greater than it is but injustice exists in the world. It's not an excuse if you keep working against it. If you get screwed in life and sit on your ass because of it...sure that's an excuse. If you get screwed and use it to get better, there's no shame in being truthful about the way the world is.

KSU may not have earned the win but they got the win. They drove it 80 yards in less than 2 minutes and made the clutch plays. That’s all that matters in the end. That’s not denial, that’s the truth.

I do believe this staff and team takes these losses and does better themselves. That’s not the point I was making. Campbell said it best, we had multiple chances to win the game but didn’t and can’t blame a few things that didn’t go our way.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Agree up until the KSU part.... Excuses. They would be 8-4 if they earned 8 wins, which they came up short.

OTOH, kSu DID NOT earn that win, considering that last flag of the several the officials picked up. Unconscionable act by the refs.

(Has iSu received an apology letter from the Big 12 yet?)

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Say what you want about KK, but the only thing that matters is that he is a winner. He'll show that again in Memphis.
Like Zeb too, but we'll be very set for '18 if Kyle gets a 6th year.

Reactions: CyValley

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

You serious, Clark??

What evidence is there that Zeb 'clearly gives us the best chance to win'?? What a moronic comment based on the actual evidence we have. You can speculate he does, but one could also speculate he'd be more likely to turn it over more often. Based on ACTUAL EVIDENCE from this season, Kempt doesn't turn it over very often.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Best case: Kyle, Zeb, Devon and Re-al are here in August and healthy, giving the staff options. (Yeah, I know Re-al is enrolling next month and Devon is rehabbing.)

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: OBE4ISU and CTTB78

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It's simple. Having 2 QBs that can help us win is better than one. Three is better than two, and four is better than three. I'll let the coaches rank them before any yahoo on here but I prefer having more to choose from. KK is, AT WORST, a great fallback.

Arguing about who is better is stupid. There's a lot of practices between today and next season's opener.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's simple. Having 2 QBs that can help us win is better than one. Three is better than two, and four is better than three. I'll let the coaches rank them before any yahoo on here but I prefer having more to choose from. KK is, AT WORST, a great fallback.

Arguing about who is better is stupid. There's a lot of practices between today and next season's opener.

I don't think many people are passionately for or against Zeb or Kempt starting...but I do think there are two VERY different schools of thought.

One thought is that we should start the players every snap that give us the best chance to win that day.

The other that we should start the players who can gain the most experience and use that experience to help us in the future. Assuming these players are at least capable at Big 12 level.

I side pretty strongly toward the first. I don't think it's crazy to think the other way though, especially if you think option A and B are only a fraction different. Some fans are projecting their desire for Zeb to grow and improve into convincing themselves he actually played better than KK this year, that's simply not true unless you make a bunch of excuses for one guy and don't allow them for the other.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ

There is no ******* way you're serious...
KK went on the road and beat OU... Beat TCU... played well in the second half against WVU.. was hurt against OSU.

you don't tank a bowl game based on the future. You play to win the game.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I think Zeb lit up OSU because of some of the same reasons Chase Daniel lit us up way back when. OSU had no idea what to expect from Zeb much the same way we didn't know what to expect from Daniel in 05. We would have been better off not hurting Brad Smith that day because we had his number.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I just want the player that gives us the best chance to win. Do I think Zeb looks better than Kyle? Yes. Do I have as many stats to make that claim? No. Would I be ok with either starting? Yes.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent