"Next" Saturday

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Say today is Sunday, Jan 15th. What day is "next Saturday"

• "This Saturday" and "Next Saturday" in this case are the same = Jan 21st

• "This Saturday" = Jan 21st, "Next Saturday" = Jan 28th

Results are only viewable after voting.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
This Saturday is whatever Saturday comes next on the calendar, next Saturday is the next one after it. The current day being Sunday is irrelevant, if so what would be your cut off???? Tuesday? Any definition of trying to say this Saturday can somehow also be next Saturday is just causes confusion.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
35-25 against me so far? What the F is going on here?!?!?

I thought CF readers were mostly college educated, reasonable people. I'm gonna take **** for this for the next decade unless I get some help here.
Best to admit when you're in the wrong, make an adjustment, and move on with your life.

:otz:

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
I agree that next Saturday is the one following this one, so next Saturday would be 1/21. BUT next exit is the one coming up, so don't miss it.
I think you meant 1/28 in that first sentence. But that 2nd sentence is such a great example.
I'm driving with the wife and she says "take the next exit" -- I don't skip one and take the second exit.
On Sunday, she says, "we're going out for dinner next Saturday" -- that means this following weekend, not two weekends from now. It's the same logic to me in both cases!

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
This Saturday would be the 14th and next Saturday would be the 21st, it has to do with the week you are in. If the Saturday in question is part of the week you are in it is this, and if it is part of the next week then it is next.

This makes Saturdays easy, but now that it's Wed, I would call Tues the 17 next Tuesday and not this Tuesday as that has already past.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
"This Saturday" and "next Saturday" are the same when used to reference one date such as "We do not have a home game this Saturday."

However, if you wish to be clear, they are not the same when you are referencing two dates such as "We do not have a home game this Saturday but we do the next Saturday."

Would you say " We have a home game next Saturday but we do not this Saturday."?

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
"This Saturday" and "next Saturday" are the same when used to reference one date such as "We do not have a home game this Saturday."

However, if you wish to be clear, they are not the same when you are referencing two dates such as "We do not have a home game this Saturday but we do the next Saturday."

Would you say " We have a home game next Saturday but we do not this Saturday."?
Forget about "the next Saturday" or "this next Saturday", etc. I'm strictly talking about "next Saturday" all on it's own.
I realize it could easily be clarified by adding a word or two, but I'm talking specifically about how the wife says "next Saturday".

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I think you meant 1/28 in that first sentence. But that 2nd sentence is such a great example.
I'm driving with the wife and she says "take the next exit" -- I don't skip one and take the second exit.
On Sunday, she says, "we're going out for dinner next Saturday" -- that means this following weekend, not two weekends from now. It's the same logic to me in both cases!

EDIT NOTE: I did not see your Poll Title.

From today, 1/11/23:

Saturday is 1/14.
This Saturday is 1/14.
Next Saturday is 1/21.
Saturday Next is 1/21 (it's a southern thing).

Last edited:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
First off, the dates in the poll are incorrect. They should be the 14th and 21st, not 21st and 28th. Once you are past a given day, the next occurrence of that day immediately becomes known as just the day, or "this" day. The occurrence beyond that is "next".

I.e. today is now Wednesday, so the 17th is now Tuesday or this Tuesday. The 24th is next Tuesday. Anything beyond that should be referred to as the date.

• Winner
Reactions: TXCyclones

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Here is my thing...on Sunday (January 8), I would of said "we play Kansas next Saturday", not "we play Kansas this Saturday. Similarly, I would of said, "we beat TCU on Saturday", not "we beat TCU last Saturday"; but I also would not have said "we beat TCU this Saturday". For me, on Monday, that all changes, and I say "we play Kansas this Saturday, and "we beat TCU last Saturday".

I think its a weekend thing for me. So if its Sunday, I agree with the OP. But come Monday, and especially Tuesday, I disagree with OP.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
First off, the dates in the poll are incorrect. They should be the 14th and 21st, not 21st and 28th. Once you are past a given day, the next occurrence of that day immediately becomes known as just the day, or "this" day. The occurrence beyond that is "next".

I.e. today is now Wednesday, so the 17th is now Tuesday or this Tuesday. The 24th is next Tuesday. Anything beyond that should be referred to as the date.
Reading is hard.

Poll title:

SAY TODAY IS SUNDAY, JAN 15TH. WHAT DAY IS "NEXT SATURDAY"​

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
To avoid confusion I always use 'this Saturday' if I'm talking about the closest Saturday and 'a week from Saturday' if I'm talking about the following one.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, to clarify, for those of you who took the second option:

On Sunday the 15th, you would not refer to the next Saturday (the 21st) as "next Saturday?" You would refer the next Saturday after the next Saturday (the 28th) as "next Saturday?"

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Did half this thread forget about Saturday Jan. 14th?

This Saturday Jan 14....or just Saturday.

Next Sat. Jan 21.

Maybe the OP and his in-laws were arguing the same thing and he didnt realize it. Being he forgot a Saturday?

Help Support Us

Become a patron