Next Big 12 Commissioner? - Brett Yormark (Roc Nation)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not to say he wasn’t terrible, but if he could have pulled off the original deal with OU and the TV deal he proposed, he might just have been a genius. But it did not work, so he is a terrible.
That deal falling through wasn't the primary cause of his failure. The primary cause was two-fold. One, badly misjudging the impact of PACN distribution without a partner like BTN (Fox) and SECN (ESPN). Kliavkoff needs to sell it. And two, making foolish expense management decisions like re-locating the P12 HQ to downtown SF.

Reactions: Yaz and CYTUTT

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I really like the east coast connections and the experience. He knows people that he can lean on if he needs to. I would imagine he will spend some time on the east coast networking and putting deals together. We need to be creative as a confrence and innovate.

They have got to be paying this guy big money - I couldn’t guess. Or, is this a Orr hire where he was underpaid?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I really like the east coast connections and the experience. He knows people that he can lean on if he needs to. I would imagine he will spend some time on the east coast networking and putting deals together. We need to be creative as a confrence and innovate.

They have got to be paying this guy big money - I couldn’t guess. Or, is this a Orr hire where he was underpaid?

I'd have to think he would have been paid more at some of his other stops. I want to say the Power 5 Commissioners get paid between 2-4 million. I think the old Pac 12 commissioner got paid 4.5 million, while everyone else was getting half that a couple years ago.

With that being said, he may view this as a step to his ultimate goal of potentially being a pro league commissioner. He probably has enough wealth saved up where he can take a pay cut if it means he will get to his ultimate destination.

Reactions: CYTUTT

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
i hope we see a real Big 12 Network.

It’s way more likely that there will be some Big 12 content available on demand on Apple TV or Amazon or Peacock or Netflix rather than a Big 12 Network on the premium cable tier buried next to TruTV and the Judge Judy Channel.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It’s way more likely that there will be some Big 12 content available on demand on Apple TV or Amazon or Peacock or Netflix rather than a Big 12 Network on the premium cable tier buried next to TruTV and the Judge Judy Channel.
Like those aren't buried behind linear and cable networks? Please. That may be the outcome but I have my doubts that linear goes dark with college sports. It certainly hasn't with the Big and SEC.

Reactions: CycloneinToledo

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Correct, Bowlsby previously stated a B12 linear network like BTN or SECN cannot be justified and won't be replicated.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
We have our conference network now. It’s Big 12 Now. It’s just **** because ESPN doesn’t care about it and won’t invest in it.

We need a digital media partner who will promote the conference through their streaming app. It could include talk shows, highlight breakdowns, preview the upcoming weeks games, and literally every game ever record by each school. Wanna rewatch 2004 ISU/KSU football? Click here. How about 2014 ISU/TCU volleyball? Click here.

ESPN isn’t even trying.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Like those aren't buried behind linear and cable networks? Please. That may be the outcome but I have my doubts that linear goes dark with college sports. It certainly hasn't with the Big and SEC.
The Big 12 is not and never will be the Big Ten or SEC. Apples to oranges. A Big 12 Network like what those two conferences have isn't going to happen.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The Big 12 is not and never will be the Big Ten or SEC. Apples to oranges. A Big 12 Network like what those two conferences have isn't going to happen.
Where did I write about a B12 Network? My view is that all three of the "other" conferences will put together linear TV deals that will also involve streaming but will not be limited to that platform delivery.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
That deal falling through wasn't the primary cause of his failure. The primary cause was two-fold. One, badly misjudging the impact of PACN distribution without a partner like BTN (Fox) and SECN (ESPN). Kliavkoff needs to sell it. And two, making foolish expense management decisions like re-locating the P12 HQ to downtown SF.
Plus, he was NOT popular with any of the existing staff, constantly replacing them with younger people with absolutely no knowledge of the job at hand.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Putting content on a streaming service doesn’t mean that traditional TV “goes dark” (even though that’s what MLS is doing). The most likely outcome by far is having some games on TV and some on streaming. The games on TV might also be simulcast on a streaming service.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Putting content on a streaming service doesn’t mean that traditional TV “goes dark” (even though that’s what MLS is doing). The most likely outcome by far is having some games on TV and some on streaming. The games on TV might also be simulcast on a streaming service.
That's what I wrote.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Need to have an Athletic subscription but if you do this is a pretty good read.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
This is interesting that OUT had a vote.

I’ll hold my judgement on the hire for a few years. He does have the opportunity to prove himself very early during this realignment.

Reactions: HawaiiClone