Next Big 12 Commissioner? - Brett Yormark (Roc Nation)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

jay-z-jay-z-dancing.gif

Reactions: cyfan92

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
"May you live in interesting times"

Next year or three look to be really interesting.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Key quote from Board Chair:
“In Brett Yormark, we have chosen a highly adaptable leader who thrives in dynamic times. The landscape of college athletics is evolving to look more like the world Brett has been leading.”

• Informative
Reactions: CYTUTT and SCNCY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I could prolly find something more current, but here is a Brett interview clip from 2020 (?). Seems very well spoken, intelligent.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I used to work for a major corporation, and the number of guys on the "fast track" who really didn't accomplish anything except get themselves promoted again was stunning. It was kind of company policy too, just move the hi-pots from department to department, but never really enough time to fix or improve anything. Some of them were smart and some were not, but it was still a joke. Don't miss it.
I'm completely honest here. Not ONE manager in my entire work career (40+ years) even understood what I did because I built things they had no comprehension of. The only ones I ever respected stood on their side of the fence/expertise and lobbied for funding for my projects. That said, I reached out to my friend who is in the know on these things to see if this guy has the it factor.

Reactions: CYTUTT and cyputz

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Like this quote:

“[Yormark] is one of the most skilled and knowledgeable executives in sports and entertainment,” NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. “His decades of operational experience, relentless work ethic and strong industry relationships will be of enormous value to the Big 12, its schools and fans.”

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
From everything I've seen this is a fantastic hire. The biggest things facing the Big12 are the next TV contract and NIL. I think his experience in both areas will be perfect going forward. He has lots of different experience and some of it is still sports so that's great.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yep, this is not an academic job in the least. This is and has to be a sports media job first and foremost. If you don’t absolutely nail that part of the job nothing else matters.

Yormark appears to have the Pro Sports background needed for the next Big12 Conference Commissioner. Obviously navigating the Big12 Conference through its next media rights contract is priority 1.

But he was hired by 12 academics. And those University Presidents are going to need to decide how they want their universities to participate in the evolving collegiate sport landscape.

Over the last 30 years CFB and MBB have gradually became minor league sport enterprises providing talent to the NFL & NBA. With NIL and other legal challenges that gradual evolution is about to explode, making CFB & MBB professional sport enterprises. And how does that impact the other 350 student-athletes on Olympic sport teams.

And college presidents will need to decide where on the spectrum of "college-sport" they want their university to operate. NIL, unionization, employment status, Title IX are all potential transformational problems that the academics will have to deal with.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Larry Scott was viewed as some brilliant genius coming in and the results he got in reality were horrible.

His greatest achievements were hallow boasts of absolute nothingness and he left his league in terrible shape compared to when he came in. Geography alone saved the guy after coming in with so much hype and claiming he was going to take 1/3 of the Big 12.
Not to say he wasn’t terrible, but if he could have pulled off the original deal with OU and the TV deal he proposed, he might just have been a genius. But it did not work, so he is a terrible.

• Agree
Reactions: 20eyes

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
Is he loyal? Is he honest? Is he intelligent? Experienced? Does he have charisma? Strong work ethic?

Sounds like he might have the last 4 here. What do you guys think about the first 2?
Is he trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent?

:jimlad:

• Winner
Reactions: CYTUTT

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm completely honest here. Not ONE manager in my entire work career (40+ years) even understood what I did because I built things they had no comprehension of. The only ones I ever respected stood on their side of the fence/expertise and lobbied for funding for my projects. That said, I reached out to my friend who is in the know on these things to see if this guy has the it factor.
Agree, that's good management. My best boss understood she didn't understand what my division did. But she asked questions and trusted us, and supported us up the chain.

I'm talking about guys that just kind of hang out and pretend, focusing on their "visibility" while ignoring their department because they know they will be gone before year end results are looked at. Never learn anything and never take any risks.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This appears to be a home run on the Media Contract standpoint. My only concern is how well he will manage the conference, with constant threat of realignment, to nonstop drama from horrible officiating. Managing the Conference may be a challenge, but getting a slam dunk media deal, to make everyone's pockets full will make a lot of things easier. And If he has a few support staff members to help him through the conference management issues this could be a great deal.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
This appears to be a home run on the Media Contract standpoint. My only concern is how well he will manage the conference, with constant threat of realignment, to nonstop drama from horrible officiating. Managing the Conference may be a challenge, but getting a slam dunk media deal, to make everyone's pockets full will make a lot of things easier. And If he has a few support staff members to help him through the conference management issues this could be a great deal.

I think he also could be excellent wrt setting up branding/NIL/influencer type things for athletes as well. That's all entertainment world is about. He may have insights to create some kind of system that let the Big12 leapfrog over other conferences wrt how this is handled. That kind of buzz would help.

The challenge would be making that kind of modern flash jibe with something as traditional as CFB, in an area of the country that is anything but flashy.

At least I hope this is part of why he was hired, and if the Presidents liked his approach to it then it may make sense. Look forward to hearing JP's comments.

Reactions: 2speedy1