new 'walking cy' logo concept

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Are you after copyrights?
Haha. It's called passion. Many of us have it, you included?

If amestoplease had any ulterior motives, they were dashed years ago. But I don't think he ever did.

He is a great Cyclone!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
there are a lot of things that i love about the old 'walking cy' logos and some things that i don't. i wanted to combine some old elements with some updated ideas to create a new-old version of a mascot mark. here's what i came up with:

View attachment 112811

This is extremely well done. As a fellow Cyclone graphic artist this is the best ISU fan graphic I've seen on here (and there have been some great ones). Even love the choice of putting it on that faded canvas color background.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is extremely well done. As a fellow Cyclone graphic artist this is the best ISU fan graphic I've seen on here (and there have been some great ones). Even love the choice of putting it on that faded canvas color background.

Does Cy look a little small to you? Like this kind of looks like mini-Cy to my untrained eye.

But it is a very good attempt. Much better than some stuff our AD has paid for

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I like Cy’s right hand being in a fist! Looks tough…maybe even a little mean!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I mean can we seriously get this to the AD? It's great and I want it on merch

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
there are a lot of things that i love about the old 'walking cy' logos and some things that i don't. i wanted to combine some old elements with some updated ideas to create a new-old version of a mascot mark. here's what i came up with:
View attachment 112811
Please don't hate me, I have a couple of suggestions, and then I tried to illustrate them on your template. // I think the cardinal is just a tad too dark (it should be darker than our cardinal, yes) so I lightened it just a bit The gold is far too dark. I don't think that dark of a gold will ever have a chance of seeing the light of day being this dark, and this effort deserves that! It is really good! The mouth and teeth don't look quite right to me, so I made some slight changes there. I added just a touch of gold in the eye, like we've had in the past with some of the Walking Cy's. I like how you shortened the body/trunk of Cy, horizontally, as opposed to the vintage Cy's! Great job amestoplease!
ISU Logo Cy amestoplease TN Mod1.jpg
ISU Logo Cy amestoplease.jpg

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I will also offer this, a spin off the Walking Cy, and Kagavi's idea.
ISU Logo WalkingCy TN Mod1.jpg

Here is Kagavi's...
ISU Logo WalkingCy Kagavi.jpg
@Kagavi

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

cyputz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2006
Haha. It's called passion. Many of us have it, you included?

If amestoplease had any ulterior motives, they were dashed years ago. But I don't think he ever did.

He is a great Cyclone!
Definitely not questioning his passion.

Love his work, sorry to mention royalties. Many schools/employees/alumni jump on money (hawk).

Me, to the bone - even here in NC. Some years back when attending games - I had made a beautiful large Cyclone stained glass hanging. Some #^€ fan stole it from a tailgate. It was a gift presented to another loyal fan. Should not have left it hanging on their tent during game

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just a layman's perspective, but I prefer a few things in the version by @amestoplease.

I prefer the right "hand" arm having a forward-facing fist rather than a back-facing odd-looking wing.

Also, I prefer the less frilly "pant leg."
Agree. I showed the other one because I had it sitting, nearly completed, when ames posted his new version of CY. I went ahead and completed it, and posted it for comparison sake. His version is better, quite a bit better. I hope it can be adopted as an Alt Logo!

I went back and removed the gold from the eye (like ames had it).

ISU Logo Cy amestoplease TN Mod.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycsk

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just a layman's perspective, but I prefer a few things in the version by @amestoplease.

I prefer the right "hand" arm having a forward-facing fist rather than a back-facing odd-looking wing.

Also, I prefer the less frilly "pant leg."
Besides, there is nothing too original with Kagavi's creation (or mine), below. It is just switching body, arms, legs, feet to the particular vintage CY you prefer. In the end, it is 'different', but not really that much.
I will also offer this, a spin off the Walking Cy, and Kagavi's idea.
View attachment 112832

Here is Kagavi's...
View attachment 112833
@Kagavi

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Please don't hate me, I have a couple of suggestions, and then I tried to illustrate them on your template. // I think the cardinal is just a tad too dark (it should be darker than our cardinal, yes) so I lightened it just a bit The gold is far too dark. I don't think that dark of a gold will ever have a chance of seeing the light of day being this dark, and this effort deserves that! It is really good! The mouth and teeth don't look quite right to me, so I made some slight changes there. I added just a touch of gold in the eye, like we've had in the past with some of the Walking Cy's. I like how you shortened the body/trunk of Cy, horizontally, as opposed to the vintage Cy's! Great job amestoplease!
View attachment 112834
View attachment 112831
maybe i should have specified; the point of this was wasn't to design something that would have the best chance of getting implemented by the athletic department. this is entirely based on my own selfish preferences of color etc. basically i just wanted to make something that i thought would look cool. i spent a lot of time going back and forth on every small element, trying to determine where to draw the line between what felt necessary and what felt like clutter. this was all for the purpose of landing on a clean design that looked like it was made with intent, all while maintaining a retro vibe with a longer shelf life. i could tweak this design infinitely, and i knew i would unless i forced myself to call it 'done' and just post it.