New VIkings stadium design unveiling

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
Why don't the Vikings grow a pair and play outside? I feel like playing outside in the cold is the image for the NFC North.

Because when you ask for hundreds of millions of dollars of public dollars it is harder to justify an outdoor stadium that will not be able to be used for the multitude of events (Final Four, Super Bowl) that an indoor facility can.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Because when you ask for hundreds of millions of dollars of public dollars it is harder to justify an outdoor stadium that will not be able to be used for the multitude of events (Final Four, Super Bowl) that an indoor facility can.

That brings up another problem, public funding shouldn't be used.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
How many games in the last 10 years have been played in -20 with a blizzard? People always exaggerate things with the weather like that. Like all 8 games the Vikings would play would be the worst weather event. Look at Green Bay, I can only remember one game in the last 10 years that I would actually consider a blizzard, and that was a playoff game.
You do remember the reason why the Metrodome collapsed in the middle of the season a couple of years ago? Minneapolis blizzards are worse than the Green bay ones. The season goes into January which is the snow central and it's going to happen every year. There were also a couple of blizzards during the season last year. May not be -20 but a crap ton of snow is going to happen.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I think everyone agrees on that except the market. If the Vikings (or any other team) say that there will be no public funding, that franchise will be in LA in two years. They will gladly pay top dollar for a $1,000,000,000 stadium.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
This has got to be the most repeated question in regards to this subject. The fact is that there was absolutely zero chance for this stadium to receive any public funding whatsoever if it was not a year round facility. The city/state demanded this in order to attract superbowls, final fours, concerts, conventions, etc.... These reasons have been explained many times... You could say that the owners should have then ponied up and paid for the stadium entirely on their own. However, the chance of that happening was about as low as you could possibly think. Not saying it is right, but that is reality. Also, having spent the past four years in Ames then moving back home to Minnesota, the climate change in a mere three hour drive is quite noticeable.
Boo ******* hoo. That's a cute sob story

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Everybody in the Midwest thinks their home state has worse winter weather than everyone else

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Minnesota's weather is worse than Iowa's no question. More snow, colder, shorter summers. I think Whatchagonnado is drunk.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Blame the league for that one. Like has been said, any time a fuss gets raised over public funding, all of a sudden rumors about the team moving to LA start popping up. The league has these cities over a barrel, and they know it. Stand up to the NFL and lose your team.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Congrats Vikings fans that looks awesome. And the best thing about it is it keeps the Vikings in Minn.

I love the fact they weren't afraid to take some risk and do something not traditional. Look at what happened in NY with the new Yankee's stadium and Metlife. People are not happy with either of those venues. I think Yankee's stadium has been accepted but Metlife never will be, it removed the fans from the game. To me this design appears to keep the fans in the game while also giving the city a excellent piece of architecture.

For those that are railing that they need to play out doors. Sorry it isn't 1950 anymore, the NFL is finding out just like MLB and the like people will stay home if they are not entertained and warm. GB being the exception, but that is tradition there. Considering the Vikings have played in a dome for so long now, i doubt the fan base would be thrilled to be going back out side. Let alone the fact that has been pointed out about the amount of public dollars pumped into it.

Now if we could just get Ricketts to accept the fact that Wrigley is over blown, and to build a new completely modern baseball stadium things would be really right with the world.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Well... I guess I'll stop pining for the return of Viking football. What happened to the retractable roof?